When someone else ruins your enjoyment of a something

Wild Gazebo

Explorer
While I've inadvertently conditioned myself out of hobbies and pastimes...I must say I have also reconditioned my self back into a couple. Sometimes 'time' can be a great healer.

The more profound disappointments, for me, have sprung from venturing past the beginner stage of pastimes into more proficient...or even expert areas of knowledge or competence. Let me be clear: I'm not trying to sound aloof or saying I'm too cool for school (as should be evident from that expression); but, there have been a couple of times when I have eliminated the 'adventure' or 'mystery' out of a situation simply through education. That gap between loving the romance of something and expunging the romance through clear understanding...but simply lacking the motivation to achieve mastery. I guess you could equate it as a sort of forced aging similar to how as a child you loved the gripping episodes of (whatever favorite cartoon/movie ect) but upon growing older you see nothing but formulaic dialogue and plot crippled with poor acting and bad production.

horacethegrey

First Post
Dannyalcatraz said:
For me, it was playing the cello. I played from 1977-1996, and got VERY good at it. But the last teacher I had- circa 1985 or so- while incredibly talented and possessed of an astounding instrument, made the instrument into SUCH a chore that I lost whatever love I had of it. From the time I was no longer under his tutelage, @1987 or so, through 1996, my practice time steadily diminished to the point that the cello had become a conversation piece, not an instrument.

Forgive me for saying so, but that sounds almost like the plot of Whiplash.

Particle_Man

Explorer
Dog Moon, since the poster who ruined things for you is no longer a poster here, do you think that in time you will regain your former passion for this place?

KirayaTiDrekan

Adventurer
Comic Books - I couldn't afford to buy them as a kid, but I'd read them in the store every chance I got. Fantastic Four and Spider-Man were my main titles. But, as I got older and realized the characters never aged and the universes just got rebooted once a decade or so to keep recycling the characters and stories, I burned out on them pretty quickly.

Official company forums - I used to be very involved in the WotC community but, after working there (telecommuting) for a few years, I can't go back. Every time I do, I'm reminded of the unpleasantness of certain incidents, particularly the rather vicious arguments during the D&D Next playtest. I've dabbled in other company forums and found that they have the same general issues - folks way too invested in a single product and/or viewpoint. So, I spend my time here, instead.

horacethegrey

First Post
Whiplash?

Sorry. Didn't think you wouldn't be familiar with what I was talking about. Whiplash is a 2014 movie about a drumming prodigy played by Miles Teller who is pushed to be his best by a relentless (one could argue psychotic) music teacher played by J.K. Simmons (who won an Oscar for Best Supporting Actor for this role). The director of this film, Damien Chazelle, based this film party on his experiences being a jazz drummer and asks whether genius is worth all the pain and abuse that one must endure to achieve it. Here's the trailer below:

[video=youtube;7d_jQycdQGo]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7d_jQycdQGo[/video]

Dog Moon

Adventurer
Dog Moon, since the poster who ruined things for you is no longer a poster here, do you think that in time you will regain your former passion for this place?

It has taken me a long time, but I have gotten back into EnWorld somewhat. Regain my former passion? Sadly, I don't think so. It's already been so long that if it was going to happen, it already would have.

Although I do miss posting my own miscellaneous homebrewed monster creations and templates. Maybe I'll try to get into that, though sadly the Paizo people don't seem to focus on Templates as much as WotC did. I know I always enjoyed coming up with some crazy combination when I saw a new template and thought how well that would work with x monster.

Well, at least I have some of my passion back. :)

GMMichael

Guide of Modos
I'm not sure if it was the discussion or just understanding the game itself, but D&D 3 used to be the bee's knees for me. I picked up the Rules Compendium, to help make the game immortal. But after optimization, prestige classes, character "builds," polymorph fixes, grappling rules...I get a little queasy thinking about it. I'd still play a 3e game, but only if the DM showed a very lackadaisical attitude toward the details.
[MENTION=31216]Bullgrit[/MENTION] - I think a digital detox would do you some good. Let me know if you try it.

Bullgrit

Adventurer
DMMike said:
I think a digital detox would do you some good. Let me know if you try it.
What is digital detox?

OK, I just Googled it. Well, I haven't read or posted anything to a gaming forum for many months. The old edition war arguments are a few years past for me, but the bad feelings about D&D nostalgia linger. I don't see how a wide spectrum digital detox would restore my feelings on this very specific subject.

Bullgrit

Remove ads