When thinning down the collection, what to keep and why?

Dioltach

Legend
I'm in the process of reducing my collection - mostly my boardgames, because there are so many I know I'll never get to play (Twilight Imperium - who has the time? War of the Ring - who has the table space? Captain Sonar - who has seven friends?). But just the other day I found someone who was willing to take over all my old 1e and 2e books and boxed sets: Greyhawk, FR, Darksun, Spelljammer, Planescape. I realised I was never going to use them again.

The only ones I've decided to hang on to (besides 3.X stuff) are BECMI (sentimental reasons, and takes up minimal space) and my boxed set of Time of the Dragon (sentimental value and a setting that I'd still love to explore).

Ghost2020

Adventurer
I'm mostly looking for advice about what supplements are better in hard copy vs PDF. What have you used at your table and prep that seem to fit your needs?

innerdude

Legend
Tier 1-- Anything that A) you're likely to play and B) is going to be used by players, you 100% keep.

Tier 2 -- Rules, settings, adventures that you are likely to use for reference, or regularly use for inspiration or adventure planning.

Everything else, truthfully, you can live without in hard copy. The past 5 years I've pared down my hard copy library to ~15 books, and if I'm being honest with myself, it's still probably 7 or 8 too many.

I have sold about £2000 of stuff recently.
Basically I have so much on the shelf of shame ( stuff I have never players but will ) that I have shifted stuff I will never use ( again).

Last edited:

Dioltach

Legend
I've found that anything I need during the game I prefer to have in hardcopy. Stuff I only use for prep I don't mind having as PDF. I just don't like looking up stuff on my tablet while I'm playing.

Same, for the most part. While I can't say I've regretted every book I've gotten rid of (good riddance to Lamentations of the Flame Princess; I didn't really still need a 20-year-old book on library classification systems; nor was I ever going to re-read The Crying of Lot 49, as much as I liked it the first time). That being said, there have been some notable instances of books I've regretted getting rid of, and for the most part reobtaining them has cost me significantly more the second time around.

I'm not just an RPG nut, but a book nut, so I have many, many bookcases filled with books of all kinds. Moving is an absolute nightmare. I've downsized my library several times over the decades...and, honestly, I've regretted it every time. If I could go back and put in the time to box up, move, unpack, etc all the books I've given away, sold, or donated...I'd do it in a heartbeat to get all my books back. I've never regretted keeping a book. I've only ever regretted getting rid of books.

My advice if you're getting rid of a book is to think about where your headspace is right now. If you want to get rid of a particularly book, ask yourself why? What is going on with you at the moment to make you want to toss it, and is it going to change in the future? RPG books in particular are only getting more expensive to get second-hand, so I'd advise thinking carefully about what you get rid of.

For example, you'll never pry my 2e Complete Book of Dwarves from me. But that third party, 3e Half-Orcs splatbook? I got rid of that years ago and all I can remember about it now is the cover.

It's okay to hold onto books for sentimental reasons, too. Sometimes a book is a monument to a time in our lives that we are unlikely to revisit, but that doesn't make them insignificant.

Zaukrie

New Publisher
I sold all my 2e books, as I never used them. If you haven't used a book in game, and want to reduce your collection, start there.

Adventures are the most reusable across time and systems. I kept about twenty of those. I got rid of hundreds of minis. I found I just didn't use most of them, and, frankly, realized I didn't need the perfect mini all the time.

Rules? I'd keep most of the rules books. But even those? If you play 5e, and have some money, DNDbeyond is much more useful.

This is influencing my purchases also. I buy most things on DNDbeyond now. And I buy a lot less things than I used to, because I know what I'll use or not.

I do find hard copy gets more reading time, but PDF and DNDbeyond get more in game use.

1- If you have used it for the current, last, or imminent future games, keep it.
2- If you have used it at some point in the last two years, campaigns, whatever, keep it.
3- If you have an adventure, sourcebook, whatever that has an idea or rules for a situation that is amazing and you just haven't had a specific need for this, but you quite like it, keep it.
4- If you have a particular emotional attachment to it (Christmas present from a passed friend, signed by the author, &c.), keep it.
5- If it has an heirloom quality to it (a first edition Little Wars), keep it.
6- Sell everything else.

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Upcoming Releases