Level Up (A5E) When to expect our first playtest package!

Morrus

Well, that was fun
Staff member
Our elite team of 5E designers has been hard at work on the first playtest package. I wanted to take a moment to set some expectations.

The first playtest package should be available some time next week. It will be followed by a survey so that we can gather data about how it is received.

Now, it's OK if you don't like some things about it. That's the whole point of a playtest package -- to put things out there and get solid data on it. If you don't like things in it, it's just as important that you take part in the survey as it is if you do like them. There are some elements to it which I am fully expecting a range of reactions to. That's OK; that's what it's for.

The first package is about the three building blocks of your Origin -- heritage, culture, and background. Each element has been redesigned, while retaining balance with the original rules (so your LU character can play a regular 5E adventure just fine). We've basically shifted some stuff around, and added a bunch more options (each heritage has four cultures, for example; a culture is roughly analogous to what was 'subrace', and about half of them you'll already be very familiar with). We're excited to see what you think!

So, expect that next week some time. It's quite a big packet, and we can't wait to get your reactions.

TwoSix

Dirty, realism-hating munchkin powergamer
I'm super excited, although I think the new racial rules coming in TCoE might impact community expectation of what modified race/ancestry/origin rules should offer.

Li Shenron

Legend
I am interested in seeing what you're coming up with, but I don't really know if should participate in the surveys... in the past couple of years it has become quite clear to me that I am not on board with the current gamer base, as I constantly vote against the majority in UA surveys, so it now starts to feel like I should not respond to surveys anymore.

R_J_K75

Legend
That's the whole point of a playtest package -- to put things out there and get solid data on it. If you don't like things in it, it's just as important that you take part in the survey as it is if you do like them. There are some elements to it which I am fully expecting a range of reactions to. That's OK; that's what it's for.

As I don't have a group at the moment are you open to feedback if I just read the packet and don't actually playtest it? Im asking because sometimes things look good when you read it but dont work out too well in gameplay, and vice versa.

It's quite a big packet...

Any idea on an approximate page count?

Morrus

Well, that was fun
Staff member
I am interested in seeing what you're coming up with, but I don't really know if should participate in the surveys... in the past couple of years it has become quite clear to me that I am not on board with the current gamer base, as I constantly vote against the majority in UA surveys, so it now starts to feel like I should not respond to surveys anymore.

That's literally the point of surveys.

Remove ads