• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

When Will and When Should WotC Release 4th Edition?

When Will WotC release 4th Edition and should they do so?

• WotC will release it in 2 years and should not do so.

Votes: 13 3.4%
  • WotC will release it in 2 years and should do so.

Votes: 16 4.2%
  • WotC will release it in 3 years and should not do so.

Votes: 71 18.6%
  • WotC will release it in 3 years and should do so.

Votes: 54 14.1%
  • WotC will release it in 4 year and should not do so.

Votes: 15 3.9%
  • WotC will release it in 4 years and should do so.

Votes: 66 17.3%
  • WotC will release it in 5 or more years and should not do so.

Votes: 10 2.6%
  • WotC will release it in 5 or mor years and should do so.

Votes: 97 25.4%
  • WotC should never release a 4th Edition.

Votes: 16 4.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 24 6.3%

A'koss

Explorer
Originally posted by William Ronald:

I am uncertain if WotC would pursue your approach, because they might be worried about dividing the D20 market into different segments.
This is my feeling as well. I can't see WotC, as much I'd like them to create a low magic variant set of rules, actually implementing such a strategy with Dungeons & Dragons. I've also heard from the powers-that-be that they don't want to potentially fracture the market - they want everyone playing the same rules.

That said, Monte Cook ran a poll a couple o'months back asking what the demand was for a low-magic set of rules/game world that re-balances the classes for less magic and magic item use. I've got a feeling that we'll see something from him along these lines in the next year or two. I'm running a low-magic setting myself (using a hybrid of the WoT/AU/Modern d20 rules) and I'd love to see an even better low-magic variant.
So far, I think the poll numbers are staying fairly constant, with a wait of 5 years or more for a 4th Edition being the most popular option.
Actually, ~70% polled expect 4e in 4 years or less...
How do you think products like Arcana Unearthed by Malhavoc Press and the upcoming Unearthed Arcana by WotC, the new Miniatures rules from WotC, and some other releases will impact on the future of the game, and a possible 4th Edition? I suspect if AU sells very well, this might bode well for it having an impact on a future edition --- or at least getting Monte Cook invited into the design team.
I think WotC products like the Mini's book, the Complete Warrior and the upcoming Unearthed Arcana are ways for WotC to "test the waters" for rules they might want in 4e. Unearthed Arcana in particular is going to have damage absorbing armor rules, new HP rules, new magic rules and a bunch of other variations that could very well end up in a future edition.

As far as Monte's AU is concerned, he's got some great ideas in there, particularly his magic system. His "game rule philosophy" meshes well with my own on many fronts (eg. no Save or Die spells, harder resurrection, no class less that d6 HD, etc.).

Cheers,

A'koss.

Kae'Yoss

First Post
A'koss said:

1. Rule #1. The game should be geared towards having combat last a certain number of rounds, regardless of level, when facing "equivalent CR" opponents. 6 to 8 rounds for example. Once you have such a philosophy in place, build the game around that, doing whatever is required to make it work.
I don't think every combat should be a fixed number of rounds, and changing the rules so it enforces such a thing would be unnecessarily complicated IMO.
Secondly, your d20 is your lynchpin random element in the game, make sure you do not marginalize or remove it's value in the game against equivalent CR opponents. Stacked bonuses can easily do that now.
The random element should indeed remain important in fights between enemies of equal power, but we should not forget strategy. This should be at least as important as the random element. And again the change isn't worth it if it makes the game to complicated.
2. HP creep and HP disparity. HP disparities between the classes create all kinds of problems at higher levels. When you design an encounter that challenges your best character, your weakest ends up being 1 round road-kill. I'm thinking that Wiz-classes should get a bump to 1d6 HD, Rogues to 1d8, and everyone else stays the same.
That sounds OK, IMO.
You get to apply your Constitution bonus until 10th level, after which you only gain your straight HD (no Con bonuses) until 20th level.
I don't like that at all. It sounds like AD&D. The rules should be the same from 1 to 20. Also, con is con. You should get something out of it on every level (you get your Int bonus to skills every level, after all)
After 20th level, a further reduction/compression is probably in order (everyone goes to d4?) but I'm not sure how much... The Wizard bump helps them down the line as they generally don't have the Con the other classes do. It's much easier to design adventures around 80 - 100 HP differences than it is to have to deal with 150 - 200+ HP disparities... Wizards get re-balanced spell-wise.
A fixed HD would be acceptable, since it is in line with the epic attack and save progression.
3. Stats. Unlike earlier editions where stat bonuses were hard to get and you didn't get as much out of them, 3e is very generous in both. Stats aren't really an issue until higher levels where stat discepancies between the characters (and between PCs and encounters) can throw things off.
I do think that the stats are more important at the beginning, where the experience-based bonuses (bab, skill ranks etc.) are lower and the stats can easily outshine them.
Spell DCs for example (which simply should *not* be modified by your stats)...
I think that this was one of the best changes in 3e and should stay in any case. Now there is a difference between a dumb apprentice trying to charm you and the master enchanter using the same spell. And the stats affect your saving bonuses, too, after all.
4. Spells. Andy Collins (and now Monte Cook) has the right idea for Save or Die spells - turn them into damage. Again, spells should be designed from the standpoint that combat should last X amount of rounds, regardless of level, when facing equal strength opposition. That will involve reducing the effectiveness of their spells that allow a single roll to determine the outcome - save or die, save or nerf.
If you nerf the spellcasters you'll have to give them something else to compensate for that: more spells per day and/or per round (maybe you get a different AB for physical combat and magical combat, and wizards get iterative spells - this MAB could also improve the spell DC somehow), or they will be much weaker than fighters and others who use weapons (they often are already).

But I do think save-or-die spells should stay in (but then again I don't think every combat should be a fixed length)
5. Combat. This will depend on whether you do anything towards reigning in stat accrual. Again, the d20 is your only random element, and it is easy to have massive combat disparities at high levels. I feel that combat progression should start reigning in after 10th level. The fighter-types have inordinate strength, magic weapons and combat feats that feed the disparities between the classes. Compression is good here and really helps DMs in designing challenges.
Again, I like the way the core rules apply to all 20 levels equally. Everything else is to AD&D IMO.

I also don't like the ways you want to compensate the fighters: other classes can also have high Str and these magic Items (noone keeps a wizard from buying or using a magical weapon). Plus, your changes would mean that many would abandon the fighter classes at higher levels, for other classes offer the same combat abilities at that point and then some. A Fighter 20 should be a better warrior than a Fighter 10/Wizard 10.
6. Saves. Saves need to be easier at high levels to ensure long-term survivability, especially since the price of failure keeps going up and up. In previous editions your HL saves we're easy, but your low level ones were hard. I'd suggest we add a "Med. Save" like we see in some other d20 products. At 20th level we should be seeing something like Good +12, Med +10, Poor +8. Unlike in earlier editions, you could have +10 to one save at this level, and +0 to another simply from stats alone. This is hard to design encounters around, especially if that +10 is towards your good save (which it usually is) and that +0 is towards your poor save (which it usually is).

Yes, a mid save progression would be OK (and maybe a retooling of the others, as long as they stay based on a relatively easy formula).

7. Skills. One poster on this MB had what I thought was a brilliant suggestion here. Certain skills were treated like BAB or Saving Throws in that you gained ranks in them every level. These adventuring skills would be Sense Motive, Spot, Listen and Search.
Another thing I really don't like, and not only because it makes the tables with the class skills to big. I do think these things don't necessarily improve with level, and thus should remain skills. You might increase the number of skill points everyone gets and make these skills class skills for more classes, but no class progression!
8. AC. Class-based AC bonuses are fun... If someone could make that work and balance it out with armor and magic that would be ideal IMO.

It would be a part of making magic items less important, which would be OK I think (though I can live with the current situation, too).

A'koss

Explorer
Of course, I get this all typed out Monday at midnight and ENWorld deep-sixes... Good thing I'm paranoid about posting here and copied this before sending! :eek:

Originally posted by KaeYoss:

I don't think every combat should be a fixed number of rounds, and changing the rules so it enforces such a thing would be unnecessarily complicated IMO.
I meant this more as a kind of "target area", rather than a hard and fast rule in an encounter that expends a "typical" amount of magic appropriate for that equivalent CR situation. I probably could have been more clear here. Obviously, how you approach an encounter and what classes your party has will play significantly on the final result. Obviously, CRs will naturally impact this number. With that in mind, it's not that difficult to gear the game appropriately. If you get rid of the one roll wonders (Save or Die/Nerfs), you're 75% of the way there already. The goal here is allow a certain level of flexibility in all levels of play, especially HL play where combat becomes increasingly brutal and short.

With a certain amount of breathing room, everyone has time to implement slightly more complex strategies (and you like tactics, right? ;) ) and engage in more cinematic "thrust and parry" combat as I like to call it (and the tide of battle can acutally shift in an encounter). It gives players the opportunity to try different and more risky (read: crazy player tactics) things in an encounter, and real cinematic stuff that HL characters *should* have a chance to do in combat. Crazy moves that won't be immediately rewarded with a swift death because they didn't follow "the forumla".
The random element should indeed remain important in fights between enemies of equal power, but we should not forget strategy. This should be at least as important as the random element. And again the change isn't worth it if it makes the game to complicated.
Obviously strategy, luck, finding the target's weaknesses will always be important, it's not something that you can just... take away from the game. It's why the target number of rounds is a range of values, but perhaps it should be a little broader.
I don't like that at all. It sounds like AD&D. The rules should be the same from 1 to 20. Also, con is con. You should get something out of it on every level (you get your Int bonus to skills every level, after all)
I know exactly what you're thinking and yes, it does seem like serious overkill at first glance. If someone had suggested this to me a year and a half ago, I'd have told him to get lost! ;)

However... after having it explained to me and from what we've learned about HL play over the last year we've go a better grip now on some of the keys to play balance at these levels. AD&D actually had the right idea here. At least, they were going in the right direction. The thing to remember is that *any* disparity which continues to increase over levels will eventually become a problem. A 5 cent difference over 30 levels gives you a lot of change you don't want. Balance-wise, it is very desirable to find a range of values that is just wide enough to create distiction between the classes, but narrow enough that you can challenge the entire party without adversely endangering the weakest character or boring the most powerful.

It's a pretty fine line actually. By removing Con bonuses after 10th level, you can much more accurately estimate a party's strength at higher levels, and this becomes key to HL encounter balance later on, especially as you're getting towards 20th level and beyond. A 2 pt adjustment/difference in Con at 20th level means a 20 point swing in HPs. 4 pt difference? 40 HPs. 6 pt difference? 60 HPs... and that's just from Con bonuses. That's too much, especially when you factor in the differences between the classes HDs and range of Con's you can expect at these levels.

Balance-wise, you eventually get to a point where you've reached a desirable range in HPs between the characters, and you'll want to maintain that difference so that you can avoid high disparity problems. That's why, at some point, all HP accrual should be even across the board. I know it's bizzare to think along these terms, I did too, but I certainly understand it now.
I think that this was one of the best changes in 3e and should stay in any case. Now there is a difference between a dumb apprentice trying to charm you and the master enchanter using the same spell. And the stats affect your saving bonuses, too, after all.
While philosphically that may seem like a good idea, in HL play it becomes a very serious balance problem. The thing is, the heavy spellcasters (wiz/sor/cle/dru) tend to increase their single primary spellcasting stats (which modify their DC saves) far quicker than anyone else can increase their 3 saving throw stats to compensate (and who often have *other* stats to focus on). What you end up with at high levels are characters who find it increasingly difficult making their weak saves, even with good save-buffing magic items. And these are the levels where it becomes increasingly crucial to make your save. Again, this is where disparities between the classes take their toll - in this case stat and save differences.

That said, if you're going to make it harder to die, you should also make it harder to come back when you do die. Again, this is some good game philosophy to adopt from Monte Cook.
If you nerf the spellcasters you'll have to give them something else to compensate for that: more spells per day and/or per round (maybe you get a different AB for physical combat and magical combat, and wizards get iterative spells - this MAB could also improve the spell DC somehow), or they will be much weaker than fighters and others who use weapons (they often are already).
Indeed. I think you make some good suggestions here as far as rebalancing is concerned. An increase in HPs to d6 for the wiz/sor and more AC improving options will also help. There are lots of ways to skin this cat...
But I do think save-or-die spells should stay in (but then again I don't think every combat should be a fixed length).
The problem with Save or Die spells is that they become the uberspells, the spells you do anything to make work (dispel protections, reduce save bonuses). They bypass the HP mechanic entirely which I'm personally not a fan of. Plus, while having your life hinging on a single roll can make for a dramatic encounter... you run into them more and more at high levels to point where you routinely have to make that roll - and if it's rountine, you're going to fail. And fail routinely if it's your weak save. Both Andy Collins and Monte Cook also agree that SoD is problematic at high levels, so there might be something there...
I also don't like the ways you want to compensate the fighters: other classes can also have high Str and these magic Items (noone keeps a wizard from buying or using a magical weapon). Plus, your changes would mean that many would abandon the fighter classes at higher levels, for other classes offer the same combat abilities at that point and then some. A Fighter 20 should be a better warrior than a Fighter 10/Wizard 10.
The fighter though has the *total package* however. So long as you're able to maintain a meaningful difference in play (I think fighters should have d20 Modern-like talents and some desirable HL feat chains myself to compensate), you do not require the disparities we see now. Again, I had to have this explained carefully to me as well... Remember that the d20 is the primary random element - you do not require a whole lot of differences between the classes to create meaninful advantages for the characters where appropriate. We're just so used to seeing and using the large differences between the various characters we forget that even a 10 point difference between two characters of the same level is enormous. If the fighter required a 5 to hit a target and the wizard a 15... the 20 roll is still meaningful for both. In addition, the fighter shows he has a significant advantage in field of expertise (especially factored over the long-term). Mind you 10 points is just a figure I pulled out of the air, but it just goes to show...

Now to maintain the importance of the d20 roll at all levels, you need to have a range of differences between the classes (in all the important mechanics) which you should not be able to easily (but perhaps temporarily) exceed. I'd say... somewhere between 10 to 15 points maximum when dealing with equivalent level characters/challenges. Once you exceed it, you marginalize the importance of the d20 roll in the game and IMO, you start taking away something from the game. The challenge then becomes too easy for one character or too hard for another.
Another thing I really don't like, and not only because it makes the tables with the class skills to big. I do think these things don't necessarily improve with level, and thus should remain skills. You might increase the number of skill points everyone gets and make these skills class skills for more classes, but no class progression!
That's a fair argument. Personally, as an adventurer, I'm of the mind that you're naturally going to become more alert as you rise in levels, just as you naturally improve in your saving throws (which arguably rely on similar skills in many cases). These are what I consider to be "basic survival skills", just like wizards who continue to improve in melee combat even though they arguably do less and less of it as they get higher level. Is there a better way to model advancement here? Certainly. I personally think how skills are handled need to be re-worked some, but that could be a whole topic in itself.
It would be a part of making magic items less important, which would be OK I think (though I can live with the current situation, too).
I would like to see the game re-balanced for somewhat less magic item use as well, but... the way D&D is geared, I'm not sure that is something WotC would consider. More likely we'll something from Monte Cook along these lines...

Thanks for the thoughtful reply, I hope I was able to clarify some of what I wrote earlier. To be sure, I think there is certainly some "room to move" with the numbers, but I think game philosophy-wise you need to move in this direction in order to have balanced play from Low right up through Epic Levels.

Cheers,

A'koss

William Ronald

Explorer
I think the character, and not equipment, should be the focus of a game. Sometimes, I wonder how powerful a character is without his equipment.

Any other thoughts on a 4th Edition. I would hope that whenever it is made, the designers will keep the wishes of the gaming public in mind.

William Ronald

Explorer
Well, the poll has gotten more of a response than I initially anticipated.

As I write this, we have had 352 votes.

Since I can't look at the poll results as I type this, here are a few observations.

It seems that most people would NOT want a 4th edition of D&D released in 3 years or less. It seems that people are more tolerant of a 4th Edition the later it is released.

There was a small but steady minority voting in the other category. I suspect that many of those voting for other think someone besides WotC will release a 4th Edition.

There also was a minority who did not want a 4th edition ever. I suspect this is not realistic, both from a publishing standpoint and due to the fact that gaming mechanics may evolve in the future. (The mechanics of 3.0 and 3.5 are a lot smoother than some of the stuff from 1st edition. If you doubt me, review some of the old psionic and grappling charts in a 1st edition DMG.)

So, any more thoughts?

howandwhy99

Adventurer
Hi William Ronald,

I've been putting together some thoughts about what you asked earlier. Sorry for the wait. I'll post them as soon as I can.

I think a fourth edition released in 3-4 years will be akin to other games which have updated as frequently in the past. Meaning that a game system that changes so frequently, actually changes less substantially ruleswise. I doubt 4E would be radically different than another D20 OGL.

IMO, for a change in mechanics to be necessary, the cutting edge of game design needs a little time evolve. Unlike 87-99, the variety of new styles and mechanical designs havent been seeing a lot of play. I'm hoping a lot of what is happening at The Forge will influence the newer version of D&D.

William Ronald

Explorer
howandwhy99,

Take your time in gathering your thoughts. Perhaps you can reflect on what game mechanics you like that have been introduced in relatively recent times, and compare different games and editions.

(Also, no need to be formal. I am a rarity in using my actual name at EN World. So, William, Will, Willie, Bill, and any number of other things will do. Just don't use anything that will annoy Eric's Grandmother.)

I am not familar with the Forge, but I will check the site out. Hopefully, there is little animosity towards people who happen to play D&D or other games by major publishers. (I have never really understood why there is a need for rivalry between White Wolf players and D&D players for example. I like to say stereotypes do far more harm than good.) Sometimes, I think that gamers tend to divide up into too many small camps. Evem among D&D players, there seem to be several factions, role-players versus roll-players, et cetera.

One thing that I particularly liked about 3.0 as compared with 2nd Edition was that the rules were generally easier to follow. I thought the greater emphasis on skills was important, especially for rogues. (Some rogues justifiably might be horrible pick pockets. After all, why would the world's greatest cat burglar need to be a great pick pocket.) Also, I thought the introduction of Difficulty Classes and the changing nature of saving throws is a much more elegant mechanic than the previous D&D rules.

Another example of a good mechanic from 3.0 was that ability score bonuses applied for multiple classes. Arcane casters could gain bonus spells for high ability scores much like divine casters. I would like to say that this was a sign that the same underlying principles applied across classes.

Maybe a good question to ask is what would make a future edition of the game more enjoyable? I think this has to be one of the fundamental questions about designing any gaming product. In the end, I play RPGs because I enjoy them not because I have to play them.

Last edited:

William Ronald

Explorer
I think including some material for Epic Level play in 3.5 was a good idea. However, I personally think some aspects of epic level play could be done better in a new edition. (The epic spell rules are a bit confusing, and somehow seem to lack much of a sense of wonder and awe, IMHO.) Should a new edition include epic level play in the core rules, and what would you want such rules to look like?

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads