When Your Group Jumps the Shark

Kzach

Banned
Banned
I seriously suggest that nobody pick up the gauntlet.

Red... glowy... shiny... button... must... not...

*Kzach picks up the gauntlet and slaps himself with it*

Sorry, couldn't resist :D

That article could be said to be jumping the shark though...

Aeolius

Adventurer
In Communist Russia, shark jump you.
50129.jpg

the Jester

Legend
Well, they misused the term 'jump the shark'... and I disagree with almost everything in the piece. However, I think that is a playstyle issue. It isn't that he's wrong, it is that he is wrong for me.

DrunkonDuty

he/him
Ah the article was OK. Yes the author has misunderstood the title phrase he's(?) used. Bad journalism that. The advice offered: perfectly fine. It's one way to handle the situation. I've done it a few times. I'll do it again in the future. Is the advice a bit RPG 101? Yeah. But there's new players and GMs out there who can benefit from some RPG 101.

tmatk

Explorer

It is coined after an episode of Happy Days, where Arthur Fonzarelli does a motorcycle jump over a shark tank - it was pointless for the show, but a spectacle for the audience to get them to watch.

That has nothing to do with what's up in that editorial.

I had to look that up. I can't believe it's true! :lol:

FireLance

Legend
Yup, looks like it's going to be another one of those multi-page spanning, playstyle differences threads. :p

Before I go any further, I'm going to address a concept that I call the "reset button". Almost all games have a reset button. After a game of chess, regardless of who won or who lost, the game returns to its original state before a new game begins. Similarly with basketball, or soccer, or football, or tennis, the score is reset between the time that one game ends and another game begins.

RPGs also have reset buttons, but the normal assumption is that they will never be used short of a TPK or a deliberate decision to re-start the campaign. In this manner, the successes and failures of one session will influence all subsequent sessions. Nonetheless, certain events in an ongoing RPG can function similar to reset buttons. A DM who puts extra treasure in an adventure to replace equipment that was destroyed by a rust monster is performing a reset of sorts. A player who brings in a new character after his previous character died has also had a pseudo-reset. In addition, many CRPGs have "save points" which allow a player to reset a game but start at a save point instead of from the beginning.

It's obvious from the posts so far that there are several players who like a playstyle in which the reset button is hardly ever used, and when it is used, requires a restart from the beginning instead of from a "save point". They like that their decisions have in-game consequences.

However, it is possible to play RPGs differently, with frequent, progressive resets. By this, I mean that in between sessions, the characters recover from anything that happened to them at the end of the last session (up to and including death), gain a level, and their wealth resets to some baseline value based on their new level. Under this playstyle, a party can fail, sometimes quite miserably, but they recover from their failures before the next session begins. It's a playstyle that is not for everyone, and is probably suited to more "casual" players, but it's much more forgiving of when the players are having an off day.

ProfessorPain

First Post
meh. I wasn't too impressed with the article, and as others have observed that isn't really what "jump the shark" means. Also, it sounds like he was upset at his players for not meta-gaming. I am all for tactics, but you are also playing characters, who aren't averaging potential damage in their heads as they decide to charge or not. I don't know what the circumstances were in this group. But I don't know if a single episode of sloppy tactics is worthy of an editorial.

Relique du Madde

Adventurer
It is coined after an episode of Happy Days, where Arthur Fonzarelli does a motorcycle jump over a shark tank - it was pointless for the show, but a spectacle for the audience to get them to watch.

Umbran... sorry but you're wrong.

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MDthMGtZKa4]YouTube - Fonzie Jumps the Shark[/ame]

But yeah, having a day full of fail != jumping the shark. However, attempting to jumping the shark to gain interest in a game is full of fail. A RPG example of Jumping the shark would be I don't know... dropping your characters into Ravenloft because the current quest to save the world has become trivial as a result of your game having a series of uneventful monte hull dungeon delves where the players killed everything within three rounds.

Last edited:

Remove ads