Where do YOU steal your names from?

domino

First Post
Glyfair said:
Usually I don't mind such "easter eggs" when I notice them as a player. Unless of course I get information I shouldn't from that (like we are looking for a were-tiger...hmmm, who could that be).
Hah! No, just a Troll in a Changeling game a few years back.

Alzrius

The EN World kitten
Corsair said:
For fantasy games, I like to steal good names off of forums like this one. "Alzrius" for one became the name of a mythical two headed ice beast in one game I play in. (Mechanically, it's a hypogriff with a two-headed cryo template)

Booyah! Did I whoop up on your PCs? :D

WayneLigon

Adventurer
I use The Onomastikon; no better resource have I found.

For more fantasy sounding names, I devise some little rules for naming for the closest countries to the campaign area. I either use somewhat exotic names from the real world, or I change names we use. Thomas becomes Tomin. Greg becomes Agre. Susan becomes Susara.

For more alien or inhuman languages, I usually just give the translated version. The Elven word for the forest they're about to enter might be Aeu'siohaavieyu, but they'll refer to it as the Wood of Shaking Hills. If I want it to confer just how alien it is, I dig up some of my old Traveller random alien word generators; I do that a lot for the desert campaign, because the Vilani generator has a very Persian feel to it.

TheAranan

First Post
I find the Everchanging Book of Names to be rather helpful. With a few clicks, I can generate a couple of dozen names. Out of that big pile, there are often a few that are worthy of being used :)

Corsair

First Post
Alzrius said:
Booyah! Did I whoop up on your PCs? :D

Actually you're a rare summoned creature. My DM has a homebrewed summoner class loosely based on FFX summoners. You are a rare and difficult to get aeon. :)

Woas

First Post
TheAranan said:
I find the Everchanging Book of Names to be rather helpful. With a few clicks, I can generate a couple of dozen names. Out of that big pile, there are often a few that are worthy of being used :)

Also a ECBoN user here. I've had entire campaigns named using this program (save the player characters) and it works great!

Talic

First Post
I've got oodles of old Star Trek:Customizeable Card Game cards. Many of the characters are just random extra's that got a name attatched to them for the sake of the game, or characters that were in a single episode only. So I steal most of my names from those.

Its kinda handy too because depending on what group you pick the names from, you can expect a certain range of flavor. Klingon and Jem'Hadar names often make decent dwarf or orc names for example. I'm partial to the Romulan names for my own characters.

The Shaman

First Post
I use real-world languages for names.

For my three-point-oh Dungeons and Dragons homebrew setting, the human culture groups were represented by Welsh, Danish, Scythian, and Swahili. Goblinoids spoke Turkish, dwarves Magyar with Anglicized spellings, elves Chumash Indian.

For my Traveller game, most people of mixed Solomani and Vilani descent have names that I take from different cultures and mash together, like Paz Chang, Lev Kigali, Enli Patel, or Lucia Enniliki. "True" Solis have typical Earth names (most often of Asian or African origin). The various aliens supplements provided glossaries and name generators - for homebrew aliens I again turn to obscure real-world languages or (more often) use Galanglic transliterations for sophonts who don't rely on verbal communications.

Blackrat

He Who Lurks Beyond The Veil
I too use mostly EcBon. Allthough the example names in phb see lots of use in my campaigns: The Tealeaf family is the largest halfling family i've ever seen...

Remove ads