Where do YOU steal your names from?

DaveStebbins

First Post
I am also a big fan of the Everchanging Book of Names. The ability to create dozens of names with the cadence and feel of a particular real-world or fantasy culture is great. My DM notebook contains several pages where I created a list of 50 names from each of a list of cultures, so NPC names are always at hand.

I'm particularly fond of the Dunsany and C.A.Smith (Xothique) EBoN chapters. ;)

-Dave

Sejs

First Post
Online name generators.

Baby name lists (I'm rather fond of 20,000 Names because it's broken down by culture).

Name PDFs, such as Treasury of Archaic Names.

And I keep a noted list of names I've run across elsewhere that I found interesting.

Elder-Basilisk

First Post
Well, I work in the mortgage industry reviewing loans--every now and then I come across a borrower with a really interesting name; I try to remember those for PCs, NPCs, or characters in fiction. I also take a lot of names from the icelandic sagas, Celtic mythology (especially the older Arthurian tales), and I use German, Russian, and Polish names from various baby name sites.

In one mod I wrote, I actually just used German words--I wonder if any of the players anywhere ever spoke German and twigged on to the allegorical significance of Brother Suender and Brother Hoffnung. (Not that it's a particularly exact or insightful allegory and it only really works as intended if the players take one particular route).

Vanye

Explorer
I crib from fantasy novels, or make them up myself. I have had compliments on my homegrown names.

For names, well, I think I stole like 300 names from Glen Cooks THE DRAGON NEVER SLEEPS. David Weber's WAR GODS OWN' series has been good for names. The Liaden novels by Sharon Lee and Steve Miller (not the game designer) have been good to me as well.

Templetroll

Explorer
Andor said:
Watch movie credits. They contain thousands of names, and some of them are things you would never have thought of in a million years.

Indeed! Like Theobold Holsopple that I used for a gnome. I don't recall what movie I saw the name on but it was reeally late at night when it was on!

In my homebrew I used old historical names for locations. The first kingdom I ran an adventure in was called Akkad, since that is one of the first historical kingdoms known and naturally I named the king Sargon!

I once played a newly reawakened vampire based on Louis, Duc d'Orleans who was a member of the Coucy family. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Château_de_Coucy The book mentioned, Barbara Tuchman's study of the Middle Ages, A Distant Mirror, was a great source of info about personalities in the middle ages.

Last edited:

kenobi65

First Post
I used to be just awful at making up names. I tried using names from phone books, etc., but they just wound up too random-sounding.

Then, I found the Everchanging Book of Names. What a godsend. Well worth the few bucks to register. He's got "modules" for many fantasy worlds, including the Forgotten Realms and Greyhawk, and for many many Earth languages.

Nyaricus

First Post
I stole an ENnies name as well, but changed it a bit - Orgrock the Mighty. He was a tweaked out Barbarian/Fighter/Paladin of Slaughter/Frenzied Berzerker I used against my players.

I go to baby name websites, have a copy of that aforementioned Treasury of Archaic Names and make up lists from EN World usernames, names from characters from DiabloII users, etc. Oh, and I take names from real life and write them backwards with some variations. Heck, even my username is a muched-up, upside-down version of my real name ;)

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Recent & Upcoming Releases