Level Up (A5E) Where does A5e still need support?

xiphumor

Legend
With the new pitch call going out for the GPG, I thought I’d poll the room and ask what thoughts people had on about what they think A5e could still use some meat on its bones.

Epic level games. Either an expansion of the boom system, or the piety system, or epic classes / levels. An A5e epic level handbook would be great.
A fresh look at extraplanar adventures. WotC seems to be the planar equivalent of D&D in space! Give us something new and wild for adventures in the planes.
brother?

but yeah, i'd love something for epic levels ("what do you mean you have a +19 to hit before magic items and a +4 magic weapon?!" "i am LITERALLY going to kill god. why would i NOT?"). and while the voidrunner's codex will be a thing and i am very excited for it, that's more scifi (i mean, it still looks like it'll be sci-fantasy, but it seems closer to scifi then like...spelljammer or planescape), even if you can mix and match with ag content. something more specifically for EXTRAPLANAR adventures and not INTERSTELLAR adventures would be amazing. although the voidrunner's codex will probably let me throw my players into the marathon trilogy without any warning, so there's that.

i think we could also do with more maneuver traditions - explicitly 1 or 2 more ranged traditions. i don't know if ranged characters need more then that, but only getting one tradition is kind of bewildering to me. i don't understand how nerfing ranged characters translates to making their maneuver lists all look exactly the same.

more knacks for the different classes might be nice.

also, and this doesn't have a lot to do with the GPG, i do think it'd be nice to add the artificer and savant (and preferably future classes as well) to the SRD, so that people can publish homebrew content for them.

Faolyn

(she/her)
Epic level games. Either an expansion of the boom system, or the piety system, or epic classes / levels. An A5e epic level handbook would be great.
Personally, I don't want Epic. I want Immortal. I would love to see something where you can literally ascend to (demi)godhood. Considering the Metamorphosis destiny, I'd say that this is a logical add-on to the game.

Of course, Immortal rules would include Epic-type rules, since you wouldn't necessarily be the type of god that just sits on a fluffy cloud all day, and there would be things to fight and evils to prevent (or encourage). It would also involve managing the world as a whole.

Considering the Metamorphosis destiny, I'd say that this is a logical add-on to the game.
i'd almost argue the opposite actually - the metamorphosis destiny means that epic tier being just godhood DOESN'T make sense, both because not everyone will take metamorphosis and because metamorphosis itself is explicitly not just godhood.

epic levels allowing for godhood though would be cool. i just don't think this specific through-line justifies restraining it to godhood.

Faolyn

(she/her)
i'd almost argue the opposite actually - the metamorphosis destiny means that epic tier being just godhood DOESN'T make sense, both because not everyone will take metamorphosis and because metamorphosis itself is explicitly not just godhood.

epic levels allowing for godhood though would be cool. i just don't think this specific through-line justifies restraining it to godhood.
I didn't say that that destiny restrained anything to godhood. Nor am I saying that only people with that destiny should/could become gods.

I'm saying that the game has a built-in hook for Immortal rules, since it recognizes that some people not only want to achieve godhood, but may actually do so.

I didn't say that that destiny restrained anything to godhood. Nor am I saying that only people with that destiny should/could become gods.
i...wasn't saying you did.
I'm saying that the game has a built-in hook for Immortal rules, since it recognizes that some people not only want to achieve godhood, but may actually do so.
ok, so just to clarify - are you saying the immortal rules should be the epic rules or that the immortal rules should be part of the epic rules? i'd agree with the latter since i wouldn't necessarily want epic play to be about godhood, though i would want it to be an option.

Steampunkette

Rules Tinkerer and Freelance Writer
Supporter
1) Planar Content
2) Archetypes
3) Heritages

I'm currently pitching stuff connected to the Gyre, the Astral plane, and the Bleak Gate. Because we should really flesh out these alternate aspects of reality more than a few pages of the T&T currently has.

... unfortunately, I went 100% for Heritages and Origins. 'Cause I don't think I can really do the Bleak Gate justice in 2,000 words or less.

But, y'know, if we could get together a bunch of people writing Bleak Gate content together maybe we could push for a Themed Issue around Halloween next year or somethin'!

Personally, I don't want Epic. I want Immortal. I would love to see something where you can literally ascend to (demi)godhood. Considering the Metamorphosis destiny, I'd say that this is a logical add-on to the game.

Of course, Immortal rules would include Epic-type rules, since you wouldn't necessarily be the type of god that just sits on a fluffy cloud all day, and there would be things to fight and evils to prevent (or encourage). It would also involve managing the world as a whole.
Yes, that is my preference too. But those seem to be even harder to do well.

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Recent & Upcoming Releases