Level Up (A5E) Where does A5e still need support?

delericho

Legend
I'm finding A5e pretty well supported even right there in just the core books. There are, however, a few things I'd pay for:

Of the three pillars, the Interaction pillar appears to be the least well supported. Although much of that is intentional, I'd pay for a book that covers that one in the same detail as is given the Exploration and Exploration Challenges in "Trials & Treasures". I can't promise I'd use it, but that's a different matter!

Assuming the upcoming DDG lives up to the promise of those previews, I'd quite like to see two more books in the same vein: one for wilderness adventures and one for urban adventures.

Mechanically, the one thing that would be good are more combat maneuvers.

Gnome Rager

Villager
Oh definitely! It's excellent, and I'm very happy with the challenges presented therein, but I'm actually more interested in the regional structure itself, instead of the individual challenges.

I can imagine a few variants on Parched Sands for different kinds of deserts, for example, or maybe more monster/exploration weighted variant tables for existing regions. More extreme terrain types for planar exploration, or maybe there's still some general gaps to fill; maybe island/archipelago type terrains could use a more explicit region?
As a new DM, I agree about regions. Stranger sights has been a really nice addition as well but the regional structure is really interesting. There have been some helpful forum posts as well about how the combination of region tables and the additional info in the MM almost write living encounters without you having to try to hard that I found inspiring too. Information along those lines would be fantastic (and yes I was really hoping that the stranger creatures stretch goal was hit, that would have been amazing).

Gnome Rager

Villager
I'm finding A5e pretty well supported even right there in just the core books. There are, however, a few things I'd pay for:

Of the three pillars, the Interaction pillar appears to be the least well supported. Although much of that is intentional, I'd pay for a book that covers that one in the same detail as is given the Exploration and Exploration Challenges in "Trials & Treasures". I can't promise I'd use it, but that's a different matter!
Really agree here as well. Again as a novice DM I've done loads of reading around to try and find a structure for myself that allows the role-playing and the mechanics to balance well in social interaction. I think I've got something that works and that allows the extra effort that has gone into social interaction for all classes from the player side to shine but I didn't find social as well supported from the DM side as the player side. I will plead my lack of experience on that one though. It might be there if you know more what you're looking for.

MajorSarigar

Explorer
Skill use in combat. The "Mist & Shade" tradition has a lot of maneuvers devoted to using Sleight of Hand in combat, but there are no rules governing exactly what this entails, or how/why it would be of benefit (the skill section implies that Sleight of Hand is used for feinting, but that's about it). There is a good amount of room for potentially using other skills in combat, too: Athletics, Acrobatics, Arcana, Deception, Intimidation, Persuasion, Performance, etc.

For me the coolest additions would be magic related, in particular:
  • a non vancian magic system (I surely sound like a broken record, but Elements of magic was awesome and published by ENP for 3.5!)
  • magic components that are not just a tax or a "gotcha. you didn't buy it" but add something to the game. Something along the lines of this: Enhanced Spell Components: D&D 5e Spellcaster Rewards – Flutes Loot
  • rules for group magic (involving multiple spellcasters or even the collaboration of lots of ordinary people)
  • metamagic spells (like in 2e and some quite arcane 3.5e supplements like The Practical Enchanter)
  • mechanics for spellcasting foci (as of now the choice is entirely cosmetic). Even something similar to what different instruments do for bard magic adds a lot to the game.

Timespike

A5E Designer and third-party publisher
For me the coolest additions would be magic related, in particular:
  • a non vancian magic system (I surely sound like a broken record, but Elements of magic was awesome and published by ENP for 3.5!)
  • magic components that are not just a tax or a "gotcha. you didn't buy it" but add something to the game. Something along the lines of this: Enhanced Spell Components: D&D 5e Spellcaster Rewards – Flutes Loot
  • rules for group magic (involving multiple spellcasters or even the collaboration of lots of ordinary people)
  • metamagic spells (like in 2e and some quite arcane 3.5e supplements like The Practical Enchanter)
  • mechanics for spellcasting foci (as of now the choice is entirely cosmetic). Even something similar to what different instruments do for bard magic adds a lot to the game.
Don't mind me, I'm just screenshotting this list for ... reasons.

Remove ads