• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

D&D 5E Where does optimizing end and min-maxing begin? And is min-maxing a bad thing?

Optimizing ends and min-maxing begins at:

Yup.PNG

As to "is min-maxing a bad thing?"

You're taking your life into your own hands.

Boscogn

Villager
To me optimizing and min max are separate. Picking Variant human just for proficiency in perception and an extra feat would be my definition of min/max. Making a mountain dwarf with high str not so much. Also another good example would be picking a background and then having a backstory that can't even relate to your class. Like a Salior Dwarf Paladin.. Or in my opinion multiclassing a Paladin into warlock and choosing to pact with a fiend...

Sent from my HTC6545LVW using Tapatalk

TwoSix

Dirty, realism-hating munchkin powergamer
To me optimizing and min max are separate. Picking Variant human just for proficiency in perception and an extra feat would be my definition of min/max. Making a mountain dwarf with high str not so much. Also another good example would be picking a background and then having a backstory that can't even relate to your class. Like a Salior Dwarf Paladin.. Or in my opinion multiclassing a Paladin into warlock and choosing to pact with a fiend...
"I shall not today attempt further to define the kinds of material I understand to be embraced within that shorthand description[min-maxing], and perhaps I could never succeed in intelligibly doing so. But I know it when I see it, and the character involved in this thread is not that." -Potter Stewart (mostly)

hejtmane

Explorer

Picking Mountain Dwarf is way min/maxing 2 str 2 con yea two key stats for str fighters or Barbs so if you go that class and you pick anything but Hill dwarf you are min/max. See I can twist that knife so hard and we can turn lots of things into min/max.

Lanliss

Explorer

I actually had Blackbeard in my world planned as a Dwarf Paladin who follows the Pirate code as his oath.

Lanliss

Explorer
That sounds great. I was just thinking dwarf on water to be weird and hard to make a background for.

eh, depends on if you go stock dwarves or not. Most races in my world don't behave like default D&D versions, and honestly most of my characters don't either. I consider personality to be separate from race, otherwise you wind up with a thousand dwarves who all hate water, and elves. Makes them one of the most boring races IMO.

Remove ads