• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Where does the Gnomish Tinker stereo/archetype come from?

Unseelie

First Post
It seems to be mostly a FR thing, but I'm curious if the archetype of the mad Gnomish inventor/tinker and their odd constructs and contraptions comes from somewhere in particular?

In addition, have any D20 books dealt with this, perhaps providing crunchy bits on the idea?

Unseelie

First Post
BiggusGeekus said:
Home Depot? Lowes?

... just kidding ...

It comes from the Weiss & Hickman Dragonlance novels.

Ah, okay. So one might assume that perhaps the Dragonlance Campaign Book might have some crunchy bits about this. Does anyone know if this is the case?

Dark Jezter

First Post
The concept of tinkering gnomes originated with Dragonlance.

The concept of an angry dwarf originated with Al Pachino.

Any questions? ;)

BiggusGeekus

That's Latin for "cool"
Faraer said:
It certainly came from Dragonlance, and then leached like an illness into other worlds.

Actually, I like it. I'm typically a gnome-basher, but tinker gnomes seemed to give gnome a niche which I think they often lack in standard fantasy worlds. Of course Weiss/Hickman used them soley for comic relief, which I think was short-sighted. But then again, they're the big name writers and I'm a goober on the internet.

To answer the follow-up question: I don't know if they are in the 3e Dragonlance Campaign Setting or not, but I would certainly assume so.

Liolel

First Post
The gnome tinker orignated in dragonlance, as tinker gnomes. They later got into the second edition monster manual as a subspecies which is where I first saw the idea. To create such a character look at the gnomish artificer class in the magic of fauren (even though the class is almost completly no magical.)

der_kluge

Adventurer
Check out www.mysticeyegames.com in the free downloads section for Bluffside. There is an enhancement which covers a tinkering skill which any class can take.

My first 3e character was a gnome cleric with maxed out ranks in tinker. He was a blast.

Wolffenjugend

First Post
The 3.5 Dragonlance Campaign Setting does indeed have background and specific info on tinker gnomes. There are no particular rules, however, re: the specifics of "tinkering."

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads