• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Where is the bugbear rage?

cignus_pfaccari

First Post
Don't really see what you're arguing here. So... in epic when the PP lets you have oversized it's not balanced?

As an epic destiny, not really a big deal. Epic things are supposed to be cool.

Besides, it's another +1 damage per [W]. That's, what, an extra 2-4 points on a hit at that level? Up to 9 on a barbarian rage strike daily? And the monsters have how much health?

At epic levels, I don't really have an issue with it. Now, at lower levels it'd be rude, but after 24 levels, you know, I think it's okay to be 8' tall and hit things with a Large 2h axe.

Brad

DracoSuave

First Post
As an epic destiny, not really a big deal. Epic things are supposed to be cool.

Besides, it's another +1 damage per [W]. That's, what, an extra 2-4 points on a hit at that level? Up to 9 on a barbarian rage strike daily? And the monsters have how much health?

At epic levels, I don't really have an issue with it. Now, at lower levels it'd be rude, but after 24 levels, you know, I think it's okay to be 8' tall and hit things with a Large 2h axe.

Brad

Well... it's -minimum- +1. Some weapons have more of a swing... like a 2d4 becoming a 2d6 is a difference of +2 per die.

But it's also not -that- scary. The more important part of the Eternal Defender's trait is the extra reach they get with everything.

I do love the Eternal Defender.

EDIT: Actually, another thing is 1d12 brutal 2 becomes 2d6 brutal 2. On paper, 1d12 -> 2d6 is a gain of .5 per die. With Brutal 2, it becomes 3-12 damage (7.5) -> 6-12 (9 average) for a gain of 2.5 per die.

And then, High Crit....

Last edited:

cignus_pfaccari

First Post
I do love the Eternal Defender.

EDIT: Actually, another thing is 1d12 brutal 2 becomes 2d6 brutal 2. On paper, 1d12 -> 2d6 is a gain of .5 per die. With Brutal 2, it becomes 3-12 damage (7.5) -> 6-12 (9 average) for a gain of 2.5 per die.

And then, High Crit....

Oh, yeah. It brings tears to my eyes.

It would also put my minotaur at 9' tall, and the DM has a tendency to target the biggest thing in the party if there's no other pressing concern. Plus, the lack of an "Oops I went down" ability hurts greatly.

Honestly, I'd rename it Eternal Warrior or Eternal Butt-kicker. It doesn't seem excessively defendery.

Brad

eriktheguy

First Post
Aw man, I think there was a wizards forum about this and it degenerated into discussions about brutal as well. I thought that brutal 2 d12 became brutal 1 2d6
Thats how I would do it...
No one dare mention vorpal

DracoSuave

First Post
Oh, yeah. It brings tears to my eyes.

It would also put my minotaur at 9' tall, and the DM has a tendency to target the biggest thing in the party if there's no other pressing concern. Plus, the lack of an "Oops I went down" ability hurts greatly.

Honestly, I'd rename it Eternal Warrior or Eternal Butt-kicker. It doesn't seem excessively defendery.

Brad

Eternal Defender.

For when the best defense is a good offense.

And you want the offense to go on... eternally.

*wouldn't mind the name Eternal Offender*

Mr. Teapot

First Post
Thanks, this works well. Doesn't really fit my build well (rapier isn't offhand so I can't think of anything to replace shortsword with for my build) but hey, that's my problem. I'll mention this one to the DM.

Drow Long Knife? Cutting Wheel? Kukri? You're right: there isn't a great SWP step up from short swords.

Mithreinmaethor

First Post
The Mearls did say no PC race would have Oversized Weapon as Draco said.

He also said that no more evil races would receive write ups as well. Which is why we have not seen the Orc (The last of the original 3 rewards cards that has not recieved a writeup or inclusion in a PHB) write up. So all the kobold and goblin fans might as well just forget about it.

renau1g

First Post
ren: chill. Draco made one crack; you've ragged him about it for 2 pages.

Well to be fair 2 pages is 2 posts, but sure, lets all move on.

Not sure why they got the hate against evil races receiving write-ups, especially with all the goofy races they've been pumping out (shardmind, wilden). I might have to get off my butt and propose something to WoTC for a write-up for bugbears. Maybe a kickass write-up could change his mind, although I suspect kobold or goblin would get full race treatment first. It would be nice to have a second Str/Dex race besides half-orc though :(. Orc covers off a niche that's well covered already though, there's a ton of Str/Con races so another's not needed. There's many Dex/Cha as well (goblin).

Someone at WoTC has mad love for the minotaur though having received two full write-ups. Also, didn't think the gnoll was popular enough to get the write-up.

DracoSuave

First Post
The Mearls did say no PC race would have Oversized Weapon as Draco said.

He also said that no more evil races would receive write ups as well. Which is why we have not seen the Orc (The last of the original 3 rewards cards that has not recieved a writeup or inclusion in a PHB) write up. So all the kobold and goblin fans might as well just forget about it.

While I can't say anything about kobolds, Goblin fans have Eberron. Goblins are no more, nor less, nasty than any other common race there. 'Kill it it's a goblin' isn't a good idea... some of them are working hard to keep your city's infrastructure running.

eriktheguy

First Post
Drow Long Knife? Cutting Wheel? Kukri? You're right: there isn't a great SWP step up from short swords.

Long knife is heavy blade (no rogue powers)
Cutting wheel is -1 hit (albiet for +1 defense)
Kukri is also -1 to hit (I took tempest for hybrid talent, no rogue weapon talent)

I went with a (large) double sword. Same as two shortswords but +1 AC for a feat, and doesn't carry the drawback of a cutting wheel.

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads