Level Up (A5E) Where to Explore Next?

xiphumor

Legend
Speaking of culture, what do you do if you want a character whose parents are from separate cultures? Character adopts a) his mother's culture, b) his father's culture or c) takes the best features of both.
Culture doesn’t represent the cultures of your parents. It represents your culture. Your father may have been a Collegiate, and your mother may have been a Eladrin, but they came together in a city, so you’re a Cosmopolitan.

FallenRX

Adventurer
I think a cool wilderness-themed book with an expansion on the ideas in TnT, and wilderness-themed character options, stuff about rules and structures on how to run a hexcrawl/pointcrawl, something like Ultimate Wilderness from Paizo. Basically a DDG for specifically wilderness adventures kinda. Though TnT does enough, more would be nice and expansion on a beloved area of A5E

Faolyn

(she/her)
by "its own game" i just meant being a planar setting book - i'd assume level up's planar system would look pretty different from the great wheel given what we've already seen of it
I understood, but I probably used the wrong terminology. I mean more like, maybe this book could focus more on the new elemental planes (Life, Death, Space, Time) and show the Dreaming and Bleak Gate in greater detail (although now that The Sandman TV show is out and probably making the comic more popular, there would have to be some effort put into making LU's Dreaming not that Dreaming). Maybe talk about godly domains and how to make them, maybe detailing some or all of the gods from the AG (particularly the unnamed gods on page 630). But not really go into detail about the Upper and Lower Planes or on the standard elemental planes. In other words, focus on the parts that are different than D&D's cosmos rather than doing a whole tour.

Faolyn

(she/her)
Ya know, maybe I should make a thread akin to Faolyn’s Bestiary for historical cultures. I’ve long had an inkling in that direction.

Aztec - Xochiyaoyotl (Flower War)
You may choose to add your Charisma bonus to your attack roll (minimum of 1). If a creature would be reduced to 0 hit points by such an attack, they fall to 1 hit point instead. You may use this feature a number of times equal to your proficiency bonus, regaining all sent uses after a short or long rest.

Zulu - Impondo Zekomo (Horns of the Bull)
You gain an additional expertise die from flanking.

Abbasid - Bayt al-Ḥikmah (House of Wisdom)
You can cast Comprehend Languages as a ritual and you start the game with one masterwork book.
I think that if you try to keep to real-world cultures, then you still run the risk of unintentional "positive racism." That said, you could probably make fantasy cultures inspired by real ones, as long as it's clearly not the real culture.

I understood, but I probably used the wrong terminology. I mean more like, maybe this book could focus more on the new elemental planes (Life, Death, Space, Time) and show the Dreaming and Bleak Gate in greater detail (although now that The Sandman TV show is out and probably making the comic more popular, there would have to be some effort put into making LU's Dreaming not that Dreaming). Maybe talk about godly domains and how to make them, maybe detailing some or all of the gods from the AG (particularly the unnamed gods on page 630). But not really go into detail about the Upper and Lower Planes or on the standard elemental planes. In other words, focus on the parts that are different than D&D's cosmos rather than doing a whole tour.
well, that assumes those parts aren't different from D&D's cosmos 😉

Faolyn

(she/her)
well, that assumes those parts aren't different from D&D's cosmos 😉
The Upper and Lower Planes, you mean? Sure, they could be made very different without too much trouble--heck, simply having different archfiends makes for different layout. Personally, though, I think those planes have been done. Of course, the Lower Planes could simply be a "single" Plane, consisting of tons and tons of layers and domains and stuff, and some of those layers are called Hell and some are called Abyss, and ditto for the Upper Planes.

Steampunkette

Rules Tinkerer and Freelance Writer
Supporter
The Upper and Lower Planes, you mean? Sure, they could be made very different without too much trouble--heck, simply having different archfiends makes for different layout. Personally, though, I think those planes have been done. Of course, the Lower Planes could simply be a "single" Plane, consisting of tons and tons of layers and domains and stuff, and some of those layers are called Hell and some are called Abyss, and ditto for the Upper Planes.
Personally I'm partial to an "Afterlife" plane. Neither heaven nor hell, it simple exists. Some -parts- of it might be hellish. some parts heavenly. But most people aren't evil enough to be consigned to hell, nor good enough to pass into heaven, so they just meander about in the Afterlife.

If course... if you're skilled enough, you could escape hell into the regular afterlife. Or even sneak into heaven.

Much more fun, to me, than separating out the planes.

Morrus

Well, that was fun
Staff member
@RangerWickett is the creator of and expert on the Dreaming and the Bleak Gate.

Faolyn

(she/her)
Personally I'm partial to an "Afterlife" plane. Neither heaven nor hell, it simple exists. Some -parts- of it might be hellish. some parts heavenly. But most people aren't evil enough to be consigned to hell, nor good enough to pass into heaven, so they just meander about in the Afterlife.

If course... if you're skilled enough, you could escape hell into the regular afterlife. Or even sneak into heaven.

Much more fun, to me, than separating out the planes.
I actually have my own cosmos set up something like that (not that it's ever come up in game). The individual deities have their own rewards and punishments set up in their own domains (there's no Hell or Heaven plane), which vary quite a bit depending on the deity, but most souls never actually make it there--they live have a City of the Dead thing going on. But some, as you say, can escape. The parts of the cosmos that aren't godly domains aren't half-bad.

Remove ads