• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

D&D 5E Which 5E book is the best casual read?

rogermexico

Explorer
Hi everyone. First off, long time lurker, first time poster. Thanks for being such an awesome bunch and providing great reading material.
Ok, with that said here's what I'm looking for help with. I played second edition back in the early nineties but haven't actually been in a game since then. Too many other hobbies, other commitments and just no time, and that situation is not going to be changing unfortunately. A few years back though I saw the news about the new edition, had my interest piqued, and went out and picked up the three core rulebooks. I really enjoyed reading through them – it went a long way to scratching the D&D itch without having to re-organize my life to actually start playing again. Since then I've been reading the threads here and following a few other DM blogs but lately I've been wanting to get my hands on one of the other books.
Which would you recommend as the best 'casual' read? I like a bit of everything: setting and NPC descriptions, rules, adventure summaries. Just having great maps to look at makes a book worthwhile to me. I was thinking of getting Storm King's Thunder because it sounds like a good blend of the different kinds of things I like. But I thought I'd pop in here for recommendations before heading to the game store. Thanks in advance for your thoughts!

Quickleaf

Legend
Hi everyone. First off, long time lurker, first time poster. Thanks for being such an awesome bunch and providing great reading material.
Ok, with that said here's what I'm looking for help with. I played second edition back in the early nineties but haven't actually been in a game since then. Too many other hobbies, other commitments and just no time, and that situation is not going to be changing unfortunately. A few years back though I saw the news about the new edition, had my interest piqued, and went out and picked up the three core rulebooks. I really enjoyed reading through them – it went a long way to scratching the D&D itch without having to re-organize my life to actually start playing again. Since then I've been reading the threads here and following a few other DM blogs but lately I've been wanting to get my hands on one of the other books.
Which would you recommend as the best 'casual' read? I like a bit of everything: setting and NPC descriptions, rules, adventure summaries. Just having great maps to look at makes a book worthwhile to me. I was thinking of getting Storm King's Thunder because it sounds like a good blend of the different kinds of things I like. But I thought I'd pop in here for recommendations before heading to the game store. Thanks in advance for your thoughts!

I'm reading through Tomb of Annihilation right now, and I think the writing is pretty well done. There are parts that make me laugh out loud, and some very evocative scene-setting. But something to just enjoy reading? I'd say Volo's Guide to Monsters (cause I'm a DM); I can't make it through a page reading Volo's without being inspired.

cbwjm

Seb-wejem
Sword coast adventurers guide would be my pick. It's primarily a lore book to bring us up to speed with the history of the realms.

Ath-kethin

Elder Thing
I'm on board with the Volo's Guide recommendation.

However, that assumes you have or have read the core 5e books, or at least the Basic rules. If you aren't, much of the mechanics to Volo's Guide entries are likely to be puzzling.

Volo's Guide to Monsters, as it's mostly lore.
Then Storm King's Thunder as it has the fewest big dungeons, which are trickier to read for fun.

dropbear8mybaby

Banned
Banned
SKT is the worst adventure Wizards have ever produced. So far, Tomb of Annihilation is looking to be the best.

Since you're looking to run something, I'd say pick up Tomb. It's a good read, has lots (and I mean lots) of high quality maps by Mike Schley, and it has some of the Volo's monsters in it. Volo's is great, but it's primarily a source book and not a campaign book, and if you're wanting to DM, a campaign book will provide greater immediate value to you.

Also, don't buy SKT. WotC shouldn't be encouraged to make terrible adventures like that ever again.

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads