• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

D&D 5E Which 5E book is the best casual read?

EvanNave55

Explorer
Seconding many of the others with recommending Volos or Scag as while I haven't actually bought them myself I've still has the chance to read through each of them some as well as seen many conversations about them they are more world lore books with a little bit of crunch in them where as the others are just adventure modules.

Sent from my XT1635-01 using EN World mobile app

Tales and Chronicles

Jewel of the North, formerly know as vincegetorix
Depending of your taste in reading, I can suggest Adventure in Middle-Earth for 5e, the books are simply dripping with flavor, from the descriptions of the world to the name of the mechanics.

Xeviat

Hero
I millionth Volo's Guide to Monsters. It was the first 5E book I read cover to cover instead of just looking for the material I needed.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Shiroiken

Legend
I would suggest Adventurer's Guide for casual reading. Volos is also a good book, but monster books can be kinda meh. Adventures can be neat to read, but I haven't ready any of them (I only use them for the crunchy bits).

Ancalagon

Dusty Dragon
well, if you enjoy reading gaming material just for kicks (sorry you can't play!), and if you are willing to stray a bit further afield... these are the two best written/most enjoyable books I've ever read in my gaming "career" (that spans about 25 years)

- the Dark Matter setting for the Alternity system, written by Wolfgang Baur and Monte Cook. A tangled web of conspiracies and supernatural, it's is extremely well done

- Yoon-Suin, by David McGrogan. You can read my review of it here: http://www.enworld.org/forum/showthread.php?479643-Yoon-Suin&p=6852294#post6852294

rogermexico

Explorer
well, if you enjoy reading gaming material just for kicks (sorry you can't play!), and if you are willing to stray a bit further afield... these are the two best written/most enjoyable books I've ever read in my gaming "career" (that spans about 25 years)

- the Dark Matter setting for the Alternity system, written by Wolfgang Baur and Monte Cook. A tangled web of conspiracies and supernatural, it's is extremely well done

- Yoon-Suin, by David McGrogan. You can read my review of it here: http://www.enworld.org/forum/showthread.php?479643-Yoon-Suin&p=6852294#post6852294

Thanks for that suggestion- I will check those out!

pukunui

Legend
Another vote for the Sword Coast Adventurer's Guide. Most of it is lore, and a good chunk of that is written from the perspective of characters in the game world, which really lends itself to the casual read well. There's also some crunch in it, so you'll get that as well. No adventure as such, although plenty of adventure seeds sprinkled throughout.

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads