• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

D&D General Which ability score would you like to increase to 18 in real life?

Which ability score?

• Strength

• Dexterity

• Constitution

• Intelligence

• Wisdom

• Charisma

Results are only viewable after voting.

BookBarbarian

Expert Long Rester
Healthy is healthy, man. I wanna have fun with it, and Dex is hard to maintain as you get older. Health is easier the more you move and the less you get injured.
Dex would be my number 2 choice. When I thought about it though I just don't have much use for the increase in Stealth, acrobatics, sleight of hand and the like in my day to day.

This would however be remarkable different if I enjoyed tumbling or gymnastics.

BookBarbarian

Expert Long Rester
That’s why I chose Dex. You literally couldn’t have an 18 Dex IRL without healthy joints, bones, lungs, etc, and decent musculature, and the activities that improve health that I enjoy are very Dex heavy, and if I was more coordinated I’d enjoy them even more by virtue of not having to struggle against clumsiness to do them well.
My workouts consist of Strongman training and LISS. A moderate dex covers my needs pretty well. And i'm increasing that little by little just like Strength.

But Con 18, would wipe out a good deal of things that I have a tougher time getting rid of. Things I have a genetic predilection towards. And get me off a few medications to boot.

doctorbadwolf

Heretic of The Seventh Circle
Dex would be my number 2 choice. When I thought about it though I just don't have much use for the increase in Stealth, acrobatics, sleight of hand and the like in my day to day.

This would however be remarkable different if I enjoyed tumbling or gymnastics.
Oh, yeah. If I was into lifting I might see it differently!

Also, since it’s dnd stats, a much higher Dex would make me much better at my preferred SCA Fighting Style of as light a sword as possible with a small round shield I use to manipulate my opponent more than for defense, which would be fun.

I have the privilege of the worst health issues I have all being things that are very quickly improved by simply being more active.

Now, if I could be certain that 18 Dex would mean my diabetes would simply disappear, and I could be like my friends who don’t have to stay active in order to be able to eat a slice of cake without worrying about anything...it’s a tougher choice.

But I don’t see that as guaranteed, so I’m gonna stick with the most fun option that will most readily keep me active and keep my Str and Con from deteriorating as much as I age. Besides, my beetus is only bad enough that I take metformin to keep it under control, and my numbers are fine as long as I exercise.

If I was like my dad, I’d have no choice but to take Con...

Okay...the fear of someday needing to put a needle in my gut everyday in order to survive has me reconsidering...but OTOH I just have to stay active and not overdo it on sweets to avoid that...

BookBarbarian

Expert Long Rester
Oh, yeah. If I was into lifting I might see it differently!

Also, since it’s dnd stats, a much higher Dex would make me much better at my preferred SCA Fighting Style of as light a sword as possible with a small round shield I use to manipulate my opponent more than for defense, which would be fun.

I have the privilege of the worst health issues I have all being things that are very quickly improved by simply being more active.

Now, if I could be certain that 18 Dex would mean my diabetes would simply disappear, and I could be like my friends who don’t have to stay active in order to be able to eat a slice of cake without worrying about anything...it’s a tougher choice.

But I don’t see that as guaranteed, so I’m gonna stick with the most fun option that will most readily keep me active and keep my Str and Con from deteriorating as much as I age. Besides, my beetus is only bad enough that I take metformin to keep it under control, and my numbers are fine as long as I exercise.

If I was like my dad, I’d have no choice but to take Con...

Okay...the fear of someday needing to put a needle in my gut everyday in order to survive has me reconsidering...but OTOH I just have to stay active and not overdo it on sweets to avoid that...
Diabetics Unite!

I've been off insulin for a couple of years now (thanks to diet and regular exercise), but I was on it for about a year. Fear of going back is a big motivator.

Salthorae

Imperial Mountain Dew Taster
The older I get,the more I think health matters over the rest.

Agreed.

While I would love to say "Str" or "Dex", Constitution is way more important. Plus I'd love to start doing long endurance races and such which is all Con :)

Wis is a close second though. I think it's the one I'd most want to increase after Constitution.

doctorbadwolf

Heretic of The Seventh Circle
Diabetics Unite!

I've been off insulin for a couple of years now (thanks to diet and regular exercise), but I was on it for about a year. Fear of going back is a big motivator.
Yeah I’m still struggling with diet in some ways, and I gotta find a new hobby that keeps me more active than just walking my dog!

I really can’t grok folks who get sugary desserts regularly and just basically ignore their doctor and “sneak” treats and whatnot.

People lose limbs to this disease, not to mention dying!

I would pick this, cancer is wrecking more than a few families (wife's, mine, wife's sisters husband).
Mine too, mate. My grandad, then my mum, then her mum (my grandma), then my friggin' dog, all within at the last year, have passed suddenly to cancer. It's been brutal.
Sorry to hear from both of you. I'm a bowel cancer survivor (5 years ago, it's what got me back into gaming - roleplaying online), so i know how tough it can be.

The only real consolation comes from knowing that so many others go through something. It's surprising when you talk about it.

fobia

Villager
Wisdom 100%.

Being smart or a good critical/logical thinger is one thing. Knowing what is wise to do is another.
Also I have a severly romanticized notion of people called wise, e.g. zen-monks and so on.

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads