• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

D&D 5E Which Ability Scores are the most involved ones on Saving Throws

Inoeex

First Post
Hey everyone : )

I am kinda farming the PHB, to start a very enjoyable game tomorrow with my High Elf Bard.

So far I have seen may of my spells (Bard) requires a Saving Throw which are mostly Wisdom and Constitution, but I have been told Dexterity is the Super Star of the Saving Throws.
My knowledge of other spells are very limited, and since I have not played this game before I would like to ask for your helping hands.

The more I know about this, more effective I can assigns my scores to my stats.
Could you possibly tell me which scores has are the most involved ones in saving throws?

Thank you so much : )

pukunui

Legend
The saving throws that come up most often are Dexterity, Constitution, and Wisdom. Every class gets one "good" save and one "not so good" save. If I recall correctly, the bard gets proficiency in Dexterity and Charisma saves. There are only a few ways to gain more saving throw proficiencies, such as by taking the Resilient feat.

Inoeex

First Post
The saving throws that come up most often are Dexterity, Constitution, and Wisdom. Every class gets one "good" save and one "not so good" save. If I recall correctly, the bard gets proficiency in Dexterity and Charisma saves. There are only a few ways to gain more saving throw proficiencies, such as by taking the Resilient feat.

So it has nothing to do with my Ability Scores? It does not make any differences if my Wisdom is 16 or 12 as a Bard, because I dont have Wisdome Saves as a Bard ?
Do I get it right ?

pukunui

Legend
No. Anyone can make any kind of saving throw. It's just that you only get to be proficient with two of them. That is, you only get to add your proficiency bonus to two of your saving throws. The four saving throws you don't add your proficiency bonus to are just equal to the relevant ability score modifier.

Let's say you're playing a bard with the following stats: Str 9 (-1) Dex 14 (+2) Con 12 (+1) Int 12 (+1) Wis 10 (+0) Cha 16 (+3).

As a bard, you have proficiency in Dex and Cha saves. At 1st level, your proficiency bonus is +2. This means that your saving throws would be:

Strength: -1
Dexterity: +4
Constitution: +1
Intelligence: +1
Wisdom: +0
Charisma: +5

AaronOfBarbaria

Adventurer
An important note that is often missed by those talking about Dexterity saves as being top priority is that it isn't just how frequently a particular ability score is used for saving throws that matters, but also the severity of the consequence for failing the saving throw.

As a result, Dexterity might be the most commonly occurring, but it isn't the most punishing upon failure because typically the difference on a fail is taking more damage than you would on a success.

Constitution, Wisdom, and Charisma saves all have more dire consequences upon failed saves, things that take your character out of action for some period of time or actually impair your ability to do things, and thus should be considered at least equal in importance to Dexterity.

Kryx

Explorer
I calculated the totals

Str: 78 saves. Mostly prone, forced movement, and restrained
Dex: 114. Mostly avoid AoE. Some Ray effects. Some few prone from balancing
Con: 168. Exhaustion, Concentration, Poison, Cold, Radiant, Necrotic, Stunned, Paralyzed, Blinded, Die, Unconscious, Poisoned, Lower max HP, Disease
Int: 8. lol who cares
Wis: 92. Frightened, Sleep, Charmed, Other mental defenses
Cha: 22. lol who cares. Banished, possessed, soul trapping.

I made some houserules to make some items more consistent. Some inconsistent examples: Command was randomly Cha for a Necromancy Wizard while the other forms of command was Wis. Banshee's Frighten was Cha when every other form of frighten is Wis. Psychic damage was often Int, Wis, or Cha seemingly chosen at random. Bane is a curse which is always Wis, but was somehow in Cha.
I also moved Charmed to Charisma to help balance that out a bit. And used Int saves instead of investigation.

Last edited:

Inoeex

First Post
No. Anyone can make any kind of saving throw. It's just that you only get to be proficient with two of them. That is, you only get to add your proficiency bonus to two of your saving throws. The four saving throws you don't add your proficiency bonus to are just equal to the relevant ability score modifier.

Thank you : )
I also read the chapter you told me to read

Constitution, Wisdom, and Charisma saves all have more dire consequences upon failed saves, things that take your character out of action for some period of time or actually impair your ability to do things, and thus should be considered at least equal in importance to Dexterity.

I did not know that, remarkable point !

I calculated the totals

Str: 78 saves. Mostly prone, forced movement, and restrained
Dex: 114. Mostly avoid AoE. Some Ray effects. Some few prone from balancing
Con: 168. Exhaustion, Concentration, Poison, Cold, Radiant, Necrotic, Stunned, Paralyzed, Blinded, Die, Unconscious, Poisoned, Lower max HP, Disease
Int: 8. lol who cares
Wis: 92. Frightened, Sleep, Charmed, Other mental defenses
Cha: 22. lol who cares. Banished, possessed, soul trapping.

I made some houserules to make some items more consistent. Some inconsistent examples: Command was randomly Cha for a Necromancy Wizard while the other forms of command was Wis. Banshee's Frighten was Cha when every other form of frighten is Wis. Psychic damage was often Int, Wis, or Cha seemingly chosen at random. Bane is a curse which is always Wis, but was somehow in Cha.
I also moved Charmed to Charisma to help balance that out a bit. And used Int saves instead of investigation.

I am speechless :O

What you have done is priceless ! Thank you so much, I wish I could give you triple XP or even more

Kryx

Explorer
The list comprises the Player's Handbook (class abilities, spells, equipment, endurance stuff, etc), Monster Manual (creature abilities), and Elemental Evil (spells).

Remove ads