Which choice is a better Rogue character build?

Tessarael

Explorer
Weapon Finesse requires +1 base attack bonus, so a Rogue cannot take it at 1st level. Thus the difference in attack scores is not as much until 3rd level. That said, I think either Rogue build should take Weapon Finesse, as +2 or +3 to attack is definitely worth a feat, and I presume Dexterity is going to be your character's primary ability due to Dex-based skills.

Figure out how many skills you want to be good at. I always feel tight for skill points with a Rogue (I like to play an all-rounder), so I'd favor the Intelligence of 14 that you chose, but if there's not so many skills that you need, you could make Intelligence lower.

Darklone

Rogue problem said:
str 14
dex 18 (16+2 Elf)
con 14 (16-2 Elf)
int 14
wis 8
cha 8

But Now you got me thinking:
str 14 or 15
dex 19 (17+2 Elf)
con 12 (14-2 Elf)
int 14
wis 9 or 8
cha 8
Of these two, I would definitely take the first one. Perhaps drop strength to 12, but being a frontliner bard/rogue pretty often, I can tell you one thing: DON'T TAKE LESS THAN 14 CON!

You might drop it to 13 if you think you can survive the first four levels or if you plan to take Imp Toughness.

Think about two or three levels of Swashbuckler if it doesn't cause multiclass problems... yet this will cost another feat (Daring Outlaw) but you'll start with Weapon Finesse.

So I'd do this:
str 10 (with a minor boost item, you'll be able to become a good archer later)
dex 18 (16+2 Elf)
con 13 (15-2 Elf)
int 16
wis 8
cha 8

Now go Swashbuckler for three levels. You'll have decent hitpoints and Int to damage is especially nice later with TWF (since off-hand damage is not halved). Get a wand of scorching ray for undead.

You'll qualify for Daring Outlaw at your level 6 feat (3 swash, 3 rogue) where you'll get sneak attack for the added levels. TWF at level 3? I'd take Deadly Defense ASAP... good for extra damage against undead and anything else.

Plane Sailing

Astral Admin - Mwahahaha!
I might be tempted to go for B and get power attack and cleave - since as you get to higher levels, your sneak attack gives you a better and better chance of dropping a foe quickly and thus getting to benefit from a cleave.

The downside of weapon finesse is that you've typically got to use weaker weapons with it.

Remove ads