• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

D&D 5E Which classes shine/suffer in campaigns highly restricting found magic items?

Charlaquin

Goblin Queen (She/Her/Hers)
I think the game's assumption is less "no magic items" and "no particular magic items or bonuses." That is, it's expected you'll have some magic items by high level, not that you will specifically be getting +2 to hit and +3 to AC or whatever like 4e does.
Yes and no. The math does seem to assume +1, +2, and +3 weapons at levels 5, 11, and 17 to keep up with the 65% accuracy against same-level monsters benchmark. But, like, even if you don't get any magic items, leaving you with only 50% accuracy against the average same-level monster, the party is still statistically favored to win most level-appropriate fights.

auburn2

Adventurer
I’m winding down a campaign that started at 1st level and has now reached 14th, the end might be 16th level PCs. I realize I was quite free with giving out magic item rewards. They players had fun playing out wild item reward wishes. Lotsa legendary items, the players have had a blast.

I’m considering trying the reverse, a 5e campaign restricting non-consumable magic item rewards, but not wholesale nonexistence. There isn’t a magic mart, they get what they loot off baddies and out of treasure hordes. There have been lotsa ancient ruins of lost empires and such.

Are there classes that some of you have found, say in levels 1st-12th, end up a top tier class in a very-low available magic item campaign? And other classes become a low performance class with this campaign? Or do nearly all classes work out with no difference? My players sometimes ask for my guidance in choices to fit what the campaign theme will be.

What might some adventure planning considerations?
I think the characters that shine for the most part are those with creative players. This is helped by selecting social skill proficiencies and a high charisma score. I don't think magic affects that much. Maybe a boost to classes with good social spells and cantrips. I don't think this is affected much by how much magic there is.

If you elminate the player, the characters that shine are Rogues and Bards because of lots of proficiencies, as far as race-PHB half elves for the same reasons. At the second tier you have Warlocks and Sorcerers due to high charisma. I would say Paladins should shine too, but I never have had one that did, perhaps because they tend to align the player towards martial and not social interaction.

Most primary casters are fairly top-tier already, and will become more so in a very-low item campaign. - None of them rely on magic items for base performance, they're all just cool bonuses for them.

Most martial types that get the ability to deal magic damage are either already low-tier (e.g. monks) or primary casters that have stolen some of the martial's role (Blade pact warlocks, Moon Druids etc.)
Getting through resistance or immunity to their damage is the major factor, but martials also tend to be the target of attacks more, and they also rely on items to be able to do things that spellcasters can do with spells.

A support-oriented caster might be able to improve the performance of their martial companions - but this will be at the expense of their own capability, forcing the martials to feel reliant on that character and the non-support oriented casters shining even brighter.

An Artificer in the party might be a very good option, if they're willing to take the hit to their own performance to help out the others.

Overall however, if you have a varied party, I'd suggest having very few weapon-resistant opponents and making sure you're using a full 8 encounters between long rests.

Shiroiken

Legend
I’m considering trying the reverse, a 5e campaign restricting non-consumable magic item rewards, but not wholesale nonexistence. There isn’t a magic mart, they get what they loot off baddies and out of treasure hordes. There have been lotsa ancient ruins of lost empires and such.

Are there classes that some of you have found, say in levels 1st-12th, end up a top tier class in a very-low available magic item campaign? And other classes become a low performance class with this campaign? Or do nearly all classes work out with no difference? My players sometimes ask for my guidance in choices to fit what the campaign theme will be.

Magic items do not make or break any class, although a few do suffer a bit more than others. The only significant change is creatures with resistance/immunity to non-magical weapon damage, which impacts martial characters, but there are a lot of ways to mitigate this. There are common magic weapons with fairly insignificant benefits, such as teh Moon-Touched Sword from XGtE, which still count as magic weapons. Silvered and adamantium weapons also by pass this problem for a lot of creatures. So long as you bear this in mind, I wouldn't worry too much about any class being particularly weak or strong in this environment.

Coroc

Hero
I’m winding down a campaign that started at 1st level and has now reached 14th, the end might be 16th level PCs. I realize I was quite free with giving out magic item rewards. They players had fun playing out wild item reward wishes. Lotsa legendary items, the players have had a blast.

if you plan on some "low magic" then also consider restricting casters a bit, otherwise things might get shifted in balance a bit at higher levels.
suggestion mages do not get free choice of scrolls, they might have to find/buy what is available to learn new spells.
take some spells away which can mimic magic weapons or armor.

tetrasodium

Legend
Supporter
Epic
Really, it's the players who suffer most.
This is a good point made more clear in past editions than 5e where the designers wanted to believe otherwise. Here's a great section on it from the 2e dmg
1613309128855.png

J-H

Hero
Thank you Tetra.
Avernus may suffer from the same problem as Frostmaiden - it was written with the assumption that magic items would also be handed out according to AL rules, and so they forgot to add in a sufficient quantity of items.

My observations as both a player (wizard, 6th level) and a DM (3rd to 13th level, high-magic item):
Primary casters
Clerics are fine with or without magic items, although this may differ a bit for a melee cleric.
Druids are likely the same, varying by school, with moon druids being less dependent.
Wizards do fine either way - my abjurer has nothing attuned. My resources have gone towards more spell scrolls. Denying wizards spell scrolls hurts. Mind you, I wouldn't turn down Bracers of Defense or a Ring of Protection or something. A wand might be nice.
Sorcerers - same, except they have fewer spells than wizards, so they could benefit more from the versatility added by a magic item.
Bards - I have never seen a bard in play. They're probably a mix.

Attack-roll types
Paladins, monks, fighters, rangers, rogues, and barbarians all benefit from magic weapons help them get the chance to land their smites and active abilities. They are typically the first targets for enemy attacks and for many AOE spells, being in front, and so benefit more often from defensive items than back-line casters. Wondrous items that add mobility and other options are helpful for adding uniqueness to their gameplay. You can build three wizards with the same subclass into different playstyles just by choosing different spells, but aside from Battlemaster, the front-line classes don't have that much versatility within a single subclass.
Being "the guy who has the spider armor and spends half his time attacking from the ceiling" or "the one who surrounds himself in a Fire Shield from his armor before diving into the middle of the enemy formation" or becomes a lot more character-defining.

Artificer
At high levels, they make their own items given enough time. An artificer without magic items is under-powered.

The martial/caster item dependence disparity isn't as bad as it was in 3.5, but it still exists.

Remove ads