• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Which creature you would like to see undergo a monster makeover? RESULTS ARE UP

Which creature you would like to see undergo a monster makeover?

• athach

Votes: 5 1.9%
  • bodak

Votes: 28 10.5%
  • carrion crawler

Votes: 19 7.1%
  • centaur

Votes: 12 4.5%
  • delver

Votes: 4 1.5%
  • doppelganger

Votes: 15 5.6%
  • drider

• gelatinous cube

Votes: 16 6.0%
  • ghaele

Votes: 3 1.1%
  • girallon

• grick

• hydra

Votes: 17 6.4%
  • klurichir

Votes: 8 3.0%
  • mind flayer

Votes: 51 19.1%
  • purple worm

• rakshasa

Votes: 41 15.4%
  • titan

Votes: 10 3.7%
  • will-o'wisp

Votes: 15 5.6%
  • wyvern

Votes: 7 2.6%

Kunimatyu

First Post
Moon-Lancer said:
I want all fey to get a makeover. They lack a special magic and attention they deserve. The type even is so blade that the paper its printed on has more flavor.

This is true. I vote that we give fey more 'special attention' in the form of more pastels and sparklies in their artwork. Like, frickin' sparklies -everywhere-.

Elemental

Explorer
Looks like the mind flayer is in the lead, but they're actually pretty effective at what they do--especially if you use the XPH versions. But I voted for the raksasha. It is tough, but can't really do much offensively. Weak spellcasting, weak natural weapons.

TroyXavier

First Post
I voted Drider but I think hydra could definitely use one as well. A lot of those monsters I just don't care enough about to worry about whether they get redesigned.

dren

First Post
Please leave the Rakshasa out of this.

It's a fantastic monster as it is...Bodak, Grick, Athach, could use some tweaking but I'm quite happy with the rakshasa. Throw some sorcerer levels on it, stacking with it's SR, yummy goodness. Not something that will be in the middle of combat for long, but a smart (and charming) boss knows that's best place will be in a noble court / merchant caravan manipulating others for it's long term benefit. It's one of my favourite monster bosses and while I'm intrigues with what Mr Mearls would do with it, I like it the way it is right now.

Felon

First Post
Elemental said:
Looks like the mind flayer is in the lead, but they're actually pretty effective at what they do--especially if you use the XPH versions.

Uggh. It really shouldn't have to be stated that the mind flayer being referred is the one in the Monster Manual, not the XPH variant.

And the Monster Manual version is a one-trick pony. Mind blast, mind blast, mind blast. Save-or-be sidelined, save-or-be-sidelined, save-or-be-sidelined...

After posting my thread on this subject yesterday and meeting so much opposition, I'm glad to see the illithid in the lead. Slap a powder puff on that illithid, please.

Last edited:

Hussar

Legend
Voted Mind Flayer there and here as well. One trick pony creature and I don't figure that a core monster should need another freakin book just to make it useful. No other critter needs several hundred pages of additional material, why should mind flayers be special?

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads