Which Edition?

What edition do you intend to primarily run?

• Poll closed .

The Green Adam

First Post
When/if I ever run D&D again, it will likely be a Home ruled 3.0-3.5. To me that's the best all around version of the system when it comes to ease-of-use meets completeness.

I'm less of a Fantasy fan then I am a fan of SciFi and Superheroes and my fantasy ideas these days are more in line with Ars Magica or Faery's Tale.

AD

DaveMage

Slumbering in Tsar
The disparity in the forums amuses me.

Post this same poll in the 4E foum and it'll be 70% going 4E right away.

It's going to be...unpleasant for some people when the 4E forum and general are merged.

DaveMage said:
The disparity in the forums amuses me.

Post this same poll in the 4E foum and it'll be 70% going 4E right away.

It's going to be...unpleasant for some people when the 4E forum and general are merged.
That might be indeed become an interesting time...
But I am not sure there will be much merging.

But I think once the actual rules come out, there will be a 3E and a 4E rules forum, and a major part of the discussions will move there. I think that the most interesting and heated discussions - those about design assumptions and philosophies will slowly fade in the background.

I don't know about the General RPG discussion, but I think that part can eventually be merged. It's not supposed to be edition or system specific.

kensanata

Explorer
Mustrum_Ridcully said:
That might be indeed become an interesting time...
But I am not sure there will be much merging.

I'd probably rename as follows:
D&D 4th Edition -> D&D 4E Rules
D&D Rules -> D&D 3E Rules

And I'd leave General RPG Discussion as-is.

The idea that the current poll is being held in the General forum and thus biased towards 3E is unfortunate. I think that in the long run, that's not something we want to see.

Silvercat Moonpaw

Adventurer
How about the disparity of on a forum that has one board dedicated entirely to D&D? Can you guarantee you will get a realistic spread of people who don't like D&D voting?

Blackrat

He Who Lurks Beyond The Veil
I don't know what I'll be primaraly running. We'll try 4e that's for sure but have to wait and see how that works out.

SilvercatMoonpaw2 said:
How about the disparity of on a forum that has one board dedicated entirely to D&D? Can you guarantee you will get a realistic spread of people who don't like D&D voting?

As the poll's author, I must explain:
-- General includes posts about all editions. It's true most of the activity is in the 4th Edition board, but "everyone is welcome" over here, even Diaglo.
-- The "don't like D&D" was the obligatory last poll answer of "I don't like the choices"/"The choices are OK for most people but I'm special"/"I like pressing buttons but I don't care about the topic of this poll"/"I feel like being silly". That's pretty much a requirement of ENWorld polls. What I didn't think of at the time is that there's a significant number of people here (at least by the posted replies) who primarily run a game other than a D&D edition.

If I had it to do over, I'd add the choices of:
-- Castles & Crusades
-- Hackmaster
-- Non-medieval-fantasy d20 games (d20 Modern, Call of Cthulu, etc.)
-- Other non-d20/non-D&D medieval-fantasy RPGs (Black Company, GURPS Fantasy, Rolemaster, Harnmaster, etc.)
-- Other non-medieval-fantasy RPG's

And I've have added OGRIK to the AD&D/2nd Edition/Basic line. I'm surprised no one has yet complained that those are lumped into one, but from a playability point of view, I ran AD&D for about 20 years and used Basic materials with no conversion and 2nd edition with little conversion, so from today's point of view, it was one broad set of rules (like 3.0/3.5 but less organized).

Remove ads