Votes: 9 7.4%
  • No Time to Die

Votes: 5 4.1%
  • Die Means "The" in German

Votes: 11 9.0%

embee

Lawyer by day. Rules lawyer by night.
Dayenu is the best die.

Dayenu is Hebrew for "it would have been enough." As in "If He had taken us out of Egypt and not made judgments on the Egyptians; [it would have been] enough for us. If He had made judgments on them and had not made [them] on their gods; [it would have been] enough for us..." And so on and so forth.

So Dayenu is the best die.

For if the fighter had rolled a 12, it would have been enough.

Jack Daniel

dice-universe.blogspot.com
The d12 is certainly the best die. It has elegant pentagonal faces where every other die* has triangles or squares. It has a shape that is complex enough to be interesting, without having so many faces that it might as well be a sphere. Its face count can be split into halves, thirds, or quarters.

The d12 is the heavenly die, the one whose shape is classically associated with the fifth element. (d4 = fire, d6 = earth, d8 = air, d20 = water, d12 = ether/quintessence)

Yaarel

He Mage
Get rid of the 4-sided caltrop, and reuse the 12-sided dodecahedron for the d4 instead (writing 1 to 4 three times).

The d20 is great, because its 5% increments feel about the right amount for gaming. A +1 feels not a big deal, but a +2 feels valuable. For me d20 feels like D&D.

I am fond of d100, a metric game.

EzekielRaiden

Follower of the Way
I voted d12, but that's because there's a superior version of it. Sure, regular dodecahedra are cool--the only (nontrivial) platonic solid equivalent in any dimension that has pentagonal faces. (I say "nontrivial" because the equivalent in 2D is regular planar polygons, which can have any integer number of sides greater than 2.) But there's a second dodecahedron that's better.

The rhombic dodecahedron, which is particularly cool because it appears in nature as well: both as crystals, and as the actual shape of beehive honeycombs (because they are not 2d hexagonal tiles that must fill a plane,, they're 3d cells that must fill space). It's not as perfectly symmetrical as the regular (or "pentagonal") dodecahedron, but it's still plenty symmetric enough to make a fair die, and it has a cool, distinctive shape.

I one time got a DM to agree to let me make a custom rhombic dodecahedral ioun stone. That was pretty cool.

Remove ads