D&D General Which movie rating would you use to describe your D&D campaigns?

Which MPAA movie rating would you use to warn folks about what to expect in your D&D campaigns?

• Rated G - General Audiences

Votes: 2 1.7%
  • Rated PG - Parental Guidance suggested

Votes: 3 2.6%
  • Rated PG-13 - Parents strongly cautioned – Some material may be inappropriate for children under 13

Votes: 63 54.8%
  • Rated R - Restricted – Under 17 requires accompanying parent or adult guardian

Votes: 34 29.6%
  • Rated NC-17 - Adults Only

Votes: 13 11.3%

I want to say PG 13 but lots of violence, gratuitous sex, lude sexual humor, foul language, smoking, alcohol, and drug use makes my game R rated at a minimum.

And that doesn't even get into what the characters are doing!

R_J_K75

Legend
Normally a Soft R (In my country we have Mature 15+, which sounds about right), but if it was a movie and you actually had to show the violent stuff on camera, it would be NC-17 or banned. If I were directing it, I would have the more horrific stuff happen off-screen.

I was at a game somewhat recently where it took me a while to work out that everybody had dropped acid IRL. That was interesting. It was a horror themed game and the idea appeared to be trying to mix a (bad?) trip with a scary RPG. Everybody was fully invested, so they must have got the dosage right. Lights were low, ambient noise and music was on-point.

It was definitely "Refused Classification" even despite the drug use. The PCs self-mutiliated constantly, some of them had to do so to gain their normal powers, some to remove arcane infections, some to seal pacts with Greater Old Ones. It was pretty messed up and I was sober. I'm puzzled by people that would come so close to a bad trip on purpose.
Seems like a waste of good acid. I couldnt sit there and play D&D after doing it, sounds rather terrifying, and Id be hard pressed to believe the game went that smoothly. Not to mention to be the only sober one must have sucked. I threw a party for my 21st birthday and only found out after they were all gone that everyone there except me ate me magic mushrooms, I knew there was something strange in my neighborhood...

el-remmen

Moderator Emeritus
Just a viewpoint. No, I'm not American.

Oh no worries, a lot of Americans agree this system for rating films is insane and inconsistent (and there is even evidence the MPAA is corrupt), but as a rule of thumb for describing your game to others, it is a familiar system (for Americans at least) even if (as I said in my OP) it has clear and obvious problems as a system for something that is so subjective.

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Recent & Upcoming Releases