D&D General Which movie rating would you use to describe your D&D campaigns?

Which MPAA movie rating would you use to warn folks about what to expect in your D&D campaigns?

• Rated G - General Audiences

Votes: 2 1.7%
  • Rated PG - Parental Guidance suggested

Votes: 3 2.6%
  • Rated PG-13 - Parents strongly cautioned – Some material may be inappropriate for children under 13

Votes: 63 54.8%
  • Rated R - Restricted – Under 17 requires accompanying parent or adult guardian

Votes: 34 29.6%
  • Rated NC-17 - Adults Only

Votes: 13 11.3%

R_J_K75

Legend
Sent a dick pic to one of the others. Wasn't actually gaming just turned up and did his thing.

Totally off his face. Lives in Maine and had reasonable chats with him before.

No one was actually offended but we hang out in that channel to avoid the Deutschland Uber alles types and CSA edgelords.
Thats just ridiculous. Sounds like a waste of drugs and probably the wrong place to be doing that type of thing. Lifes too short, direct your energy in the right places. If Im looking to off-handedly get laid it isnt gonna be on a D&D/RPG site.

Zardnaar

Legend
Thats just ridiculous. Sounds like a waste of drugs and probably the wrong place to be doing that type of thing. Lifes too short, direct your energy in the right places. If Im looking to off-handedly get laid it isnt gonna be on a D&D/RPG site.

Think it was more attention seeking and/or showing off.

I dont know if it's a myth, but I always heard PG-13 was only allowed one major cuss word. Two bumps you up to R.

Edit: I found this!

"A motion picture’s single use of one of the harsher sexually-derived words, though only as an expletive, initially requires at least a PG-13 rating. More than one such expletive requires an R rating, as must even one of those words used in a sexual context. The Rating Board nevertheless may rate such a motion picture PG-13 if, based on a special vote by a two-thirds majority, the Raters feel that most American parents would believe that a PG-13 rating is appropriate because of the context or manner in which the words are used or because the use of those words in the motion picture is inconspicuous."

Last edited:

R_J_K75

Legend
I dont know if it's a myth, but I always heard PG-13 was only allowed one major cuss word. Two bumps you up to R.
I cant quote the actual rule but I think you are right, want to say 3 is the limit. I taught at ITT when the new 3rd Star Trek movie came out in 2016. A colleague went to see it and said Spock and Kirk threw out a few bombs but just enough to get it a PG-13.

Blue

Ravenous Bugblatter Beast of Traal
Depends what group I'm running for / playing in.

Most of those I game with are in 30s, 40s or 50s, and mixed genders. We usually would be PG or PG-13 for violence, gore, horror, occasional cursing, and out-of-character off-color jokes. We rarely "fade to black" because we just don't hit material that would need it.

Compare to when I was a teen or in my 20s when we'd play pretty much R. But there was a lot more "exploration" of certain topics back then, such as romance & dating/marriage, torture, body horror, attempted genocide, and other things that pushed the boundary up. But even in the heavy drama soap-opera like superhero game we didn't have any episodes go NC-17.

The game I run for my kids, niece and nephew (mid to late teens) are firmly PG. Not G, though one person gets squicked by gore so we keep that down. We also use an X card.

Plaguescarred

D&D Playtester for WoTC since 2012
Probably rated PG13 due to vulgarity and other descriptions of violence scenes, slavery, animal abuse, etc but nothing is really too graphic, and no image depecting anything 18+

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Recent & Upcoming Releases