D&D 5E Which MTG Setting would you want as an official D&D Setting?

What MTG Plane would you like to have an official D&D Setting Book?

• Amonkhet

Votes: 4 4.3%
  • Dominaria

Votes: 5 5.4%
  • Eldraine

Votes: 6 6.5%
  • Ikoria

Votes: 3 3.3%
  • Innistrad

• Ixalan

Votes: 9 9.8%
  • Kaladesh

Votes: 1 1.1%
  • Kaldheim

Votes: 1 1.1%
  • Strixhaven

Votes: 10 10.9%
  • Tarkir

• Zendikar

Votes: 14 15.2%
  • Some other MTG Plane

Votes: 5 5.4%
  • No more MTG settings!

Votes: 22 23.9%

Urriak Uruk

Gaming is fun, and fun is for everyone
Hello! So now that we are well into 2021, and the newest worlds of Magic the Gathering (Kaldheim, Strixhaven) have gotten a ton of lore dumps on them, I've noticed a load of speculation trying to tie UA and other teasers to the possibility of a new setting book for a MTG Plane.

This is not entirely surprising. Of the published campaign settings (there are technically soon-to-be 6), a third of these (Theros/Ravnica) are from MTG. It is not uncontroversial to think that WotC is considering releasing settings in the pattern of one legacy setting, one MTG setting in perpetuity.

This thread is not the place for that debate, but I am curious what MTG setting folks would be most keen to see, and what the split is with folks who never want to see another MTG setting again. So I have a handy poll included!

I have not included every MTG Plane, for the single reason that there are simply too many MTG planes for any poll to contain. Instead, I've limited the poll just to planes released since M15 (for some reason the MTG wiki makes a distinction here). This makes some sense as since M15, MTG has revisited the planes they most like (Zendikar, Innistrad) and introduced entirely new ones. I have included an "other" option for those who like some other plane, and a "no more MTG!" for those who don't like MTG setting books at all.

Parmandur

Book-Friend
I've limited the poll just to planes released since M15 (for some reason the MTG wiki makes a distinction here)
That's when the current card frame was introduced, and Magic started a new initiative for world building as a focus (when they brought James Wyatt over to work the Setting Bibles and art books).

I voted Eldraine.

ART!

Deluxe Unhuman
I know very little about any of these other than what a quick Googling can tell me, but:

I'd like to see Amonkhet, Tarkir, or Zendikar - assuming they could be done sensitively. My vote was for Zendikar.
Thing is, I know D&D has settings vaguely like these, but they haven't done much or anything woith them for some time, so...

Kaldheim would be nice, although there are a number of 5E Nordic books out there now.

Eldraine sounds like a fun, lighter, classic fairy tales and knights approach, which would be nice to see.

Ikoria was a close second, because the setting sounds so different.

I'm sort of surprised they haven't done Strixhaven yet.

J.Quondam

CR 1/8
I didn't vote because, not being terribly familiar with any of the MTG planes, I don't have an opinion on which would make good D&D settings. However, I also really do like a lot of the interesting color and quirks that define so many of those planes (and also: art!), so I wouldn't mind another MTG book.

The MTG book I'd like to see is one that covers several of the most interesting planes, kind of a compendium of those old Planeshift docs. The first chapter could be an overview: "What is all this MTG Planeswalker stuff, anyway, and how might it fit into D&D?" Each of the remaining chapters would detail one of the more unique or popular Planes, and provide notes for adapting it to 5e mechanics (eg, backgrounds, unique items & spells, a few creatures here and there, etc).

WotC could easily get a couple chunky books out of that, selling them on the strength of the all the diverse options they might open up. And of course, a big adventure/campaign book would be a follow-up possibility, too.

cbwjm

Seb-wejem
I can't pick just one. I'd love to see Zendikar, Strixhaven, Dominaria, and Eldraine. Dragon focused Tarkir, would also be awesome. The weatherlight saga would also be a cool. Mirrodin/New Phyrexia would be a decent setting as well.

Remove ads