D&D 5E Which of these UA subclasses do you HATE?

Which of these UA subclasses do you HATE?

• Psychic Warrior

Votes: 18 27.7%
  • Soulknife

Votes: 16 24.6%
  • Arcane Tradition: Psionics

Votes: 38 58.5%
  • Rune Knight

Votes: 12 18.5%
  • Swarmkeeper

Votes: 22 33.8%
  • The Revived

Votes: 41 63.1%
  • Twighlight Domain

Votes: 13 20.0%
  • Circle of Wildfire

Votes: 15 23.1%
  • Onomancy

Votes: 37 56.9%
  • College of Eloquence

Votes: 17 26.2%
  • Oath of Heroism

Votes: 10 15.4%
  • Abherrant Mind

Votes: 16 24.6%
  • The Lurker in the Deap

Votes: 13 20.0%
  • Path of the Wild Soul

Votes: 24 36.9%
  • Way of the Astral Self

Votes: 17 26.2%

Li Shenron

Legend
Rune Knight, Swarmkeeper and Revived were the only ones I truly hated, unsurprisingly from the same UA articles.

The reason is not that they are badly designed mechanically (well the Revived is, as it's a boring rehash of the most common kind of bonuses) but they are thoroughly ill-conceived as Fighter, Ranger and Rogue archetypes.

There is absolutely no reason why a Rogue and only a rogue could be a "revived", and nobody else. This is the worst offender of the bunch because it also forces a very narrative event that has nothing to do with level, to occur exactly at a specific level. This concept should just not be an archetype tied to a specific class. Make it ANYTHING else and it'll be already better.

Similarly, Rune Knight just doesn't work as a Fighter-only option.

The Swarmkeeper is the least worst, but it clearly would fit the Druid a lot better. As a matter of fact I think the best thing they could do to the Ranger is quit this nonsense about being a "pet warrior". It's got nothing to do with the original Ranger concept, and it's only done harm to the class.

Tony Vargas

Legend
I think the best thing they could do to the Ranger is quit this nonsense about being a "pet warrior". It's got nothing to do with the original Ranger concept, and it's only done harm to the class.
The original ranger got random, rather unusual, followers at 8th level, I think it was. It could include something like a band of pixies or a green dragon, IIRC. They also got the 1st level Druid Animal Friendship spell, which could be - and, can be in 5e -used to get an animal or few to hang out with you, Grizzly-Adams-style.

So, yeah, the Druid and Ranger, from the beginning, could have 'pets.'

It's not like archery & TWF, which the original ranger wasn't especially well-suited to, and, indeed, based on it's considerable stat qualifications, was if anything less likely to have the DEX to do well.

Charlaquin

Goblin Queen (She/Her/Hers)
Hate is a strong word. There are many of these that I probably wouldn’t include in my games, but I don’t hate any of them. I don’t even particularly dislike them, except Onomancy. And my dislike for Onomancy is pretty mild.

Kurotowa

Legend
Hate is a strong word, but I tried to engage by voting for a few of my least favorite. I'm not surprised to see my choices of Onomancy and Wild Soul are relatively wildly shared. I'm also not surprised to see that Psionic Wizard is #3, though I don't share that opinion. Revived Rogue not only in the Top 4, but #1 by a healthy margin? That I didn't see coming.

Remove ads