• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Which of these would you like to see in 2015 from WotC?

Which of these do you most want to see from WotC in 2015?

• An Open Gaming License

Votes: 467 55.9%
  • An electronic tools suite

Votes: 208 24.9%
  • A Forgotten Realms setting book

Votes: 160 19.2%
  • Another established setting book

Votes: 214 25.6%
  • A brand new setting

Votes: 107 12.8%
  • Another genre (sci-fi, modern, horror, etc.)

Votes: 69 8.3%
  • A book of new rules

Votes: 97 11.6%
  • A book of new monsters, spells, or gear

Votes: 135 16.2%
  • An adventure path

Votes: 140 16.8%
  • Magazines in print (DRAGON/DUNGEON)

Votes: 178 21.3%

Gnarl45

First Post
This comment sort confuses me. We've had three adventures published for 5E, and the one written and published by WotC in-house (Lost Mine of Phandelver) is the best reviewed of the bunch.

WoTC also published adventures in 3e or 4e. I didn't say the adventures are bad though. I just find them fairly average compared to some of the gems that have been published by other companies (including adventures for other games).

KirayaTiDrekan

Adventurer
I voted for a setting book other than FR, a new setting, another genre, and an adventure path.

I'd love to see Mystara or Greyhawk as these have been neglected for quite a long time. As for a new setting, this combines with my desire for a new genre. I'd love to see a modern fantasy setting or even a sci-fi/fantasy setting.

And adventures are always good, especially ones I can make a campaign out of.

Lanefan

Victoria Rules
I wouldn't mind seeing a new setting specific to 5e, but I don't want another Eberron.

Still hoping the print magazines come back, somehow.

And as I'm not much of a fan of packaged adventure paths as such that didn't get a vote, but I want to see lots of stand-alone adventures - just the adventures, without too much backstory. We can put 'em into our own paths if we want to. :)

Lan-"with detachable hard-card covers with the map on the inside"-efan

pming

Legend
Hiya!

I already bought them once!

Hehe...I re-wrote that post two or three times...and the last time I forgot some stuff.

In addition to (or even in place of) re-releasing some 5e-updated classics, for all the new modules they put out, I would like them to follow the 1e style. I'm quite happy with all new adventure modules for 5e that are done up in the same 1e "style". That was the addition I forgot to post. Whoopsie! In other words, I don't want to see 100-page, full color hardback "story-railroads-in-a-can" that they seem to be saying they will produce. I want modules that can stand the test of time. I want modules that *we* (me, the DM, and my players) can look back on and say Yeah, that was a ton of fun!...and then play it again, 5 years later, look back on that and say Yeah, that was a ton of fun too! Almost totally different from the last time we played! Y'see, in those "1e style" adventures, the plot twists, interesting NPC nuances that are remembered for decades, and story turns almost ALWAYS come from the DM and Players actually PLAYING the game. They almost never come from the dozen or so pages in the adventure that goes into almost minute detail about who is doing what, and why they did that, etc.

I can think back to MANY 3e+ game sessions where I was a player...and virtually ALL of the "cool things that happened" while playing those modules had virtually nothing to do with what the actual writer of the adventure wrote. I remember when our parties Bard (3.5e) ran for mayor of Farshore in the Savage Tide AP, and what happened (too long a story). What happened wasn't covered nor 'scripted' in the actual AP...and it more or less derailed the rest of the entire AP so much so that the DM had to basically out and out cheat (blatantly), throw common sense under the bus, and just say "No. Doesn't work. They kick you out". I have NEVER had that happen in ANY BECMI or 1e module. Ever. Never ever ever ever. Why? Those 1e style modules were mostly "Here's an overall story you can use. Here's some maps, encounter keys, random encounter tables, and a few rumors that may or may not have anything to do with anything in the module. Enjoy!". All the "fiddly bits" are what take time for a DM. Drawing maps, filling it with traps, monsters and treasures. Designing wandering monster encounter charts. That's what takes hours and hours. Coming up with a story, a couple of sub-plots? Minutes. So, when I see an "adventure" written nowadays (re: about mid-way through the 2e cycle way back when), I'm almost always disappointed in both reading and playing them simply because I feel like I'm obligated to "follow the script", because Hades knows if I miss something, or let an NPC die, or otherwise bypass an entry on the plot-train...who knows what kind of shenanigans I'll have to fix later. That just ends up snowballing into some great mess that frequently results in TPK's or campaign collapse because nobody knows what's going on anymore or who NPC 7b actually *is* because they skipped something earlier on in the adventure. The fix? Don't have any NPC be indispensable to a modules story.

Anyway...kinda ranting a bit here. Sorry! I'l stop with this: For anyone who's ever played both...what would you rather DM; "L1: The Secret of Bone Hill", or "Hoard of the Dragon Queen"....both of them, 3 times with the *same* players? ... ... ... ;)

^_^

Paul L. Ming

Mistwell

Crusty Old Meatwad (he/him)
I really want an OGL. WoTC does not know how to write a good adventure...

The thing is, they really DO know how to write good adventures. The last several from WOTC for 4e were all great...it's just that few know about them because people had already quit 4e at that point in anticipation of 5e. And then the ones they wrote for the playtest, those were almost all good too. And the one they've written for 5e itself is also great. So that's about 2 years of really solidly good adventures they've written.

Meanwhile the outsourced guys they've used, who normally write for Pathfinder, have been pretty meh at it.

Morrus

Well, that was fun
Staff member
Anyway...kinda ranting a bit here. Sorry! I'l stop with this: For anyone who's ever played both...what would you rather DM; "L1: The Secret of Bone Hill", or "Hoard of the Dragon Queen"....both of them, 3 times with the *same* players? ... ... ... ;)

That's a very selective comparison, though. Maybe I can throw that back in your court: would you rather DM The Forest Oracle or Lost Mine of Phandelver?

Lanefan

Victoria Rules
The thing is, they really DO know how to write good adventures. The last several from WOTC for 4e were all great
Which ones are these? Madness at Gardmore Abbey is OK but the other WotC 4e modules I got were generally somewhere between bad and awful. If there's good ones out there lemme at 'em! :)
And the one they've written for 5e itself is also great.
Jury's out on that one; while I've read it (and to me it doesn't read well) I haven't run it yet, and sometimes adventures turn out much better in play than a pre-read would suggest.

Lan-"always looking for more good adventures"-efan

AmerginLiath

Adventurer
I voted OGL. I see WotC doing short adventures (either randomly or under the DUNGEON title) on the website in between the storyline adventures, but I would love to see more properly-supported adventures from the wider community. As a guy who who works in the work-for-hire-company end of publishing (albeit for textbooks), I realize the amount of skill out there that can be marshaled by major publishers for products like D&D (just as the company at which I work exists for material in math/science work, not roleplaying). At my age at busyness, I prefer adapting modules, so having a number of good choices as a DM is great, and an OGL is wonderful for that.

Mind you, what I *want* to see in Dragonlance, but that's a different matter...

Mistwell

Crusty Old Meatwad (he/him)
Which ones are these? Madness at Gardmore Abbey is OK but the other WotC 4e modules I got were generally somewhere between bad and awful. If there's good ones out there lemme at 'em! :)
Jury's out on that one; while I've read it (and to me it doesn't read well) I haven't run it yet, and sometimes adventures turn out much better in play than a pre-read would suggest.

Lan-"always looking for more good adventures"-efan

I think this is the list of the last 8 WOTC adventures, and a lot of these are good:

Lost Mine of Phandelver
Dead in Thay
Scourge of the Sword Coast
Ghosts of Dragonspear Castle
Legacy of the Crystal Shard
Murder in Baldur’s Gate
Maddness at Gardmore Abbey
Vor Rukoth

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads