• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Which Online Virtual Tabletop Do You Use?

Which online virtual tabletop do you use?

CleverNickName

Limit Break Dancing
Roll20 has been serving us pretty well since the pandemic struck. It's laggy at times (especially at peak hour useage), but it's still much better than it was even a few weeks ago.

I wish they would hurry up and get those feats working already.

DarrenShard

Villager
This thread has lots of discussion around the features and capabilities of different VTTs. What provides the best play experience so that you can spend more time playing games and less time focusing on the tool?

This thread has lots of discussion around the features and capabilities of different VTTs. What provides the best play experience so that you can spend more time playing games and less time focusing on the tool?

For me it is Fantasy Grounds with the excellent 5e ruleset. The automation takes care of all the bookkeeping details and I just DM the game.

R_J_K75

Legend

I've used Fantasy Grounds and Roll20, the latter seemed more user friendly but still took a bit to learn. One thing I realized was that not only the DM but the players have to take some time to learn it too. We tried to use the built on video/audio in Roll20, Skype and Discord but we seemed to have lag and latency issues. In the end it seemed we were spending more time figuring out the program than playing so we quit using it. We only used it when the pandemic started and it was out of necessity so your experience may differ. Overall, I liked the features just took too much time to prep and even after that sometimes we couldn't get stuff to work.

billd91

Not your screen monkey (he/him)
I've used Fantasy Grounds and Roll20, the latter seemed more user friendly but still took a bit to learn. One thing I realized was that not only the DM but the players have to take some time to learn it too. We tried to use the built on video/audio in Roll20, Skype and Discord but we seemed to have lag and latency issues. In the end it seemed we were spending more time figuring out the program than playing so we quit using it. We only used it when the pandemic started and it was out of necessity so your experience may differ. Overall, I liked the features just took too much time to prep and even after that sometimes we couldn't get stuff to work.

We’re using Roll20 and, you’re right, there’s a learning curve for players too. We haven’t gotten to players computerizing their whole character sheet or using macros or the die roller. But they did pretty much pick up moving around and checking ranges after one session and that’s pretty much all I need them to do.

Wasteland Knight

Adventurer
We use Roll20 for basic maps and Discord for voice plus Dice Maiden on Discord for rolling. That’s it. Nothing is integrated into Roll20, just tokens for relative locations.

We purposefully kept it barebones so we could have a shirt learning curve and so far it’s worked great.

I ran a Session 0 with very easy encounters and a simple adventure to let everyone come up to speed with VTT.

Foundry looks nice, but FGU has a pretty robust feature set, including dynamic lighting. The mapping is good and getting better as well.

What is also has is DLC. I can get all the WoTC books and modules and tons of 3PP material as well. All there and loaded up so I don’t have to enter it.

In Foundry, I have to source the maps and the text myself, load all the monsters. Tons of work.

Right now it sort of is bridged by owning the content in DND Beyond, but I am working for the extension to be determined to be violating fair use and shut down.

Remove ads