Which Online Virtual Tabletop Do You Use?

Which online virtual tabletop do you use?

Retreater

Legend
I'm looking for a virtual tabletop for a 5e game for players across a few different states. We would like to also have voice chat (though that can be done through a different service). People will likely be using a variety of devices, not just PCs.

Feel free to explain in the thread your reasoning and to share your experiences.

Thanks!

tommybahama

Adventurer
We use Roll20 for map and background music and Discord for voice. The dynamic lighting is overrated. Roll20 will work on a tablet like the iPad and I think the Galaxy tab, but not on an iPhone or Android smartphone. The character sheet is pretty good. If you buy the digital books then their content is drag and drop onto the character sheet.

Ovinomancer

No flips for you!
I'm looking for a virtual tabletop for a 5e game for players across a few different states. We would like to also have voice chat (though that can be done through a different service). People will likely be using a variety of devices, not just PCs.

Feel free to explain in the thread your reasoning and to share your experiences.

Thanks!
Neither of the two VTTs you listed work off of a PC or Mac. I'm not aware of a VTT that also works on tablets and phones.

Phenomen

Explorer
Foundry VTT. It has every feature of R20 and much more. Some pros:
  • One time purchase (only for GM). No subscription. Players connect through browser.
  • Unlimited resources for maps, tokens, music etc (since everything is hosted on GM's PC).
  • User-created compendiums.
  • Advanced dynamic lightning and walls (one-sided walls, terrain walls, doors and secret doors etc) and performance is miles ahead of R20.
  • Better ruler tools (AoE cones, squares etc).
  • Awesome automation and usability for D&D5 and WFRP4 systems.
  • Animated backgrounds, ambient sounds (play when token enter area), map notes, wildcard tokens, rollable tables with configurable weights and hundreds other QoL features.
  • Ability to import stuff from R20 and Beyond.
  • Open API, tons of mods and active community.
Cons:
  • Less systems (character sheets) at the moment.

Last edited:

Ovinomancer

No flips for you!
Foundry VTT. It has every feature of R20 and much more. Some pros:
  • One time purchase (only for GM). No subscription. Players connect through browser.
  • Unlimited resources for maps, tokens, music etc (since everything is hosted on GM's PC).
  • User-created compendiums.
  • Advanced dynamic lightning and walls (one-sided walls, terrain walls, doors and secret doors etc) and performance is miles ahead of R20.
  • Better ruler tools (AoE cones, squares etc).
  • Awesome automation and usability for D&D5 and WFRP4 systems.
  • Animated backgrounds, ambient sounds (play when token enter area), map notes, wildcard tokens, rollable tables with configurable weights and hundreds other QoL features.
  • Ability to import stuff from R20 and Beyond.
  • Open API, tons of mods and active community.
Cons:
  • Less systems (character sheets) at the moment.
Cool. Thanks, that's on my radar, now. It's not released yet, though, so not immediately useful.

I've used both Fantasy Grounds and Roll20 for 150+ hours each. Both work well - neither one is a bad choice, but I prefer FG for a couple of reasons:

1) I like the UI better in FG. For example, navigating the character sheets are easier. FG sheets are small with lots of tabs along the side so it is easy to click to exactly what you need. Roll20 sheets are large and I am often scrolling around to find what I need; spells are on a separate tab but the tab button is on the page itself, so I find myself scrolling to find the tab button for the spell page, then scrolling on the spell page to find what I need.

2) FG has a lot more automation built in. This gives it a bit more of a learning curve, but it is nice once you have a little experience. For example, you could apply a "rage" effect to your barbarian with one click that automatically adds the bonus to damage rolls, applies resistance to incoming damage of the appropriate types, remembers the advantage to Str checks, and expires after 1 min.

3) Roll20 is "freemium" but you will likely end up paying more in the long run for a subscription and the content with Roll20 than with FG.

Whatever VTT you use I'd recommend discord for voice chat.

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Recent & Upcoming Releases