Which version of D&D or D&D-like will you be playing by the end of 2008 ?

Which version of D&D or D&D-like will you be playing by the end of 2008 ?

• I'll be playing 4E.

Votes: 185 39.4%
  • I'll be playing Pathfinder RPG.

Votes: 59 12.6%
  • I'll be playing D&D 3.5 / OGL.

Votes: 112 23.8%
  • I'll be playing an older version (ODD, basic, AD&D, AD&D2).

Votes: 23 4.9%
  • I'll be playing a D&D-like system (C&C, french dK, ...).

Votes: 14 3.0%
  • I'll be playing other non-D&D RPGs.

Votes: 10 2.1%
  • I choose several options here.

Votes: 67 14.3%

Darrin Drader

Explorer
Sigh. You do realize that you are much more tiresome than they are with that attitude, right? I'm hardly a 4e fan, and I'm not planning on adopting the books anytime soon, if at all. But almost every post I've seen of yours expresses open hostility towards 4e and those who play it. Even as a non-fan I don't see any value in that.

I'm with you in the sense that there really isn't any value in this. I've decided not to adopt 4E for my own games, but I do really like the changes they're making with Pathfinder, so I'll be starting up a new game using those rules as soon as the full beta is released. Also, though I'm not crazy about the new system, even I have to admit that it does have some fun moments in play. It just lacks the depth that I've come to associate with D&D, so it isn't really for me.

At any rate, here are some productive options for 4E haters:

1. Keep playing 3.5. There's enough material available for it between the supplements, settings, and adventures to keep most groups busy for the rest of their lives.

2. Support the Pathfinder RPG. So far the changes address the most obvious flaws with the system - namely grappling, save or die spells, not enough power at low levels, and the skills.

3. If you don't happen to have your fill of 3E compatible stuff (I don't), support other 3rd party publishers who have been releasing material for it for the past eight years.

4. If you still can't shake the burning hatred and anger, step away from the computer, go for a walk, reassure yourself that you are an intelligent member of the human race and that these feelings of abandonment are normal. Listen to some Floyd or Radiohead. If none of the above works, get Lord of the Rings Online and play that until you forget all about this edition change! :cool:

Remove ads