Which version of Star Wars is most Simulationist?

I think Star Wars is pretty neat, but since it started with the movies, I've noticed that a lot of the games include cinematic rules to provide for better storytelling. If I don't want any narrative-control mechanics, and all I care about is accurately modeling how droids and blasters and Force powers work, which version of the game should I pick up?

Morrus

Well, that was fun
Staff member
Of the three main ones, I'd say WEG's d6 system. It's not super-simulationist, but it's less narrative than FFG's and has less high-fantasy mechanics than d20/SAGA.

That said, I feel Star Wars lends itself towards space fantasy than simulationism. Star Trek - now that I'd use a more simulationist system for.

Umbran

Mod Squad
Staff member
Supporter
Well, that would depend on how you thought droids, blasters, and Force powers actually work, now wouldn't it?

Yes, the games - *all* of them, I think - have cinematic rules for better storytelling, because this world is *defined* by cinema, as the core canon are movies. If you want to accurately model that universe... that universe is cinematic!

Even back in the old WEG d6 Star Wars, even non-Force-users could spend a Force point, and double the number of dice they were rolling, which often meant many, many dice hit the table. The result often could be nothing other than spectacular results.

Of the three main ones, I'd say WEG's d6 system. It's not super-simulationist, but it's less narrative than FFG's and has less high-fantasy mechanics than d20/SAGA.

That said, I feel Star Wars lends itself towards space fantasy than simulationism. Star Trek - now that I'd use a more simulationist system for.

That's funny. Today I was just thinking that to do Star Trek you have to find a way for players to invoke deus ex machina without having to wait for the DM. So I figured something like, story points with sci-fi descriptors which the players can spend to solve problems. It seems like Star Trek characters change/bend/break the rules of the universe too often to do simulationism.

Von Ether

Legend

I'm going with a different track because sometimes when someone says simulationist, they aren't asking what is necessarily more realistic, but what seems to be a more comprehensive game and addresses the most corner cases. Especially with a mid to high level of crunch.

With that in mind, I'd probably say d20 is a choice. I can't speak about FFG's version, but those books are thick, sooo maybe?

Ironically, I've seen a lot of people play Star Trek in a more realistic mode than I ever saw done on TV. It's like they remember there's a pseudo-military vibe to the show and play it more like a Navy SciFi game (but still sending all of the officers out on the away party) than the show ever does.

Umbran

Mod Squad
Staff member
Supporter
It seems like Star Trek characters change/bend/break the rules of the universe too often to do simulationism.

You can do a lot of simulation with Trek, if you are thinking in terms of marrying it with tactical game play.

There is a problem with simulating the science, in that its internal logic is hazy, and married more with cinematics. I would be tempted to steal and adapt the science brainstorming mechanic from Atomic Robo (a FATE-based game) to do Trek science.

You can do a lot of simulation with Trek, if you are thinking in terms of marrying it with tactical game play.

There is a problem with simulating the science, in that its internal logic is hazy, and married more with cinematics. I would be tempted to steal and adapt the science brainstorming mechanic from Atomic Robo (a FATE-based game) to do Trek science.

That sounds good. Do any of the ST games do t=something like that?

Well, that would depend on how you thought droids, blasters, and Force powers actually work, now wouldn't it?
That's kind of the point of a system, I mean. I want to know how droids and blasters and the Force actually work within the game world - what physical laws they follow, and how they interact with each - in the absence of narrative causality or PC protagonization.

I want to know how someone reacts to getting hit by a blaster, without needing to factor in whether it's a PC or not.

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Recent & Upcoming Releases