D&D (2024) Which Weapon Mastery is Your Favorite?

Which Weapon Mastery is Your Favorite?

• Cleave

Votes: 9 19.6%
  • Flex

Votes: 2 4.3%
  • Graze

Votes: 8 17.4%
  • Nick

Votes: 5 10.9%
  • Push

Votes: 4 8.7%
  • Sap

Votes: 2 4.3%
  • Slow

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Topple

• Vex

Votes: 8 17.4%
  • I do not like the Weapon Mastery mechanic

If they can use a Mastery (so fighter or barbarian) they get that in addition to the d12 so strictly better.

If they can't use a Mastery ... who's taking two handed weapons who can't use a mastery? Maybe L7 fighters. But the Battle Axe has always been a problem child.
I'm having this conversation in two threads. The weapon table has to work for both non-Mastery, and Mastery wielders.

CleverNickName

Limit Break Dancing
It looks like there are (at least) two schools of thought regarding weapon damage:
  • Like @Horwath and others have suggested, damage is energy: the force of impact a weapon makes when it strikes a target. Using two hands will hurt more than using a single hand, for example, and bigger weapons are more damaging. I think this is what Versatile is trying to model.
  • Like @Vaalingrade and others have suggested, damage is an aggregate of many factors (stamina, resolve, health, morale...). Making skin contact with the weapon isn't always necessary to wear an opponent down. I believe this is what Graze is trying to model.
Whichever direction OneD&D takes, I think it should pick one and stick with it. If the game is going to assume that hit points are abstract and damage isn't trauma, features like Versatile aren't going to make much sense...and if the game is going to assume that hit points are simulations of physical damage, features like Graze aren't going to make sense. If they pick the first one I'll be happy and if they pick the other I won't, but either way: I still think they should pick.

I certainly hope they don't try to do both at the same time, because that will require a lot of the same mental gymnastics that soured me on a certain older edition of the game. "The sword hits you, except it doesn't, but it still hurts you, except not really...look just subtract the hit points and move on, okay?!"

Vaalingrade

Legend
Just have it so the player of the damage's target decides.

Maybe one player's character is like James Bond and that damage looks like their outfit is mussed and they need to straighten their cuffs after the fight.

Maybe the other play's character is John McLane and they're just covered with blood and cuts and grime after 2HP are lost.

Maybe another is just actively walking around with enemy weapons piccadored into them, demanding a beer to relieve the itch from all these mosquito bites.

It looks like there are (at least) two schools of thought regarding weapon damage:
  • Like @Horwath and others have suggested, damage is energy: the force of impact a weapon makes when it strikes a target. Using two hands will hurt more than using a single hand, for example, and bigger weapons are more damaging. I think this is what Versatile is trying to model.
  • Like @Vaalingrade and others have suggested, damage is an aggregate of many factors (stamina, resolve, health, morale...). Making skin contact with the weapon isn't always necessary to wear an opponent down. I believe this is what Graze is trying to model.
Wielding a weapon two handed if it can be used either way is simply faster and more impactful whether or not you make skin contact. Even under the aggregate factors approach two handing weapons makes sense.

CleverNickName

Limit Break Dancing
Wielding a weapon two handed if it can be used either way is simply faster and more impactful whether or not you make skin contact. Even under the aggregate factors approach two handing weapons makes sense.
I think the first option already covers weapon speed (and size too, now that I think about it. Force is acceleration x mass).

Remove ads