D&D (2024) Which Weapon Mastery is Your Favorite?

Which Weapon Mastery is Your Favorite?

• Cleave

Votes: 9 19.6%
  • Flex

Votes: 2 4.3%
  • Graze

Votes: 8 17.4%
  • Nick

Votes: 5 10.9%
  • Push

Votes: 4 8.7%
  • Sap

Votes: 2 4.3%
  • Slow

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Topple

• Vex

Votes: 8 17.4%
  • I do not like the Weapon Mastery mechanic

Flex
Prerequisite: Versatile Property
When you hit with a melee attack using this weapon, you can have it gain the Light Property if you’re wielding it with one hand and the Heavy property if you are wielding with two hands.
Interesting, but first, doesn't it need to have the Light property before an attack can be rolled? Second, is there any benefit for it being used as a Heavy weapon if you can't use other Masteries? I suppose feats? Does this mess with the Dual Wielder feat?

Minigiant

Legend
Supporter
I get the upside of making a weapon Light: you can use it with 2 weapon fighting. But what is the benefit of making a weapon Heavy? It would only give Small characters disadvantage.
That's why I said you can choose.

Currently heir is no benefit for wielding a heavy weapon outside of feats. But that should change.
Plus feats are core now.

Interesting, but first, doesn't it need to have the Light property before an attack can be rolled? Second, is there any benefit for it being used as a Heavy weapon if you can't use other Masteries? I suppose feats? Does this mess with the Dual Wielder feat?

Depends. I'drule than the weapon is now light so you attacked with a Light weapon. Especially since there is no duration.

But fine

Flex
Prerequisite: Versatile Property
When you hit with a melee attack using this weapon, you can have the attack count as attacking with a weapon with the Light Property if you’re wielding it with one hand or the Heavy property if you are wielding with two hands.

I get the upside of making a weapon Light: you can use it with 2 weapon fighting. But what is the benefit of making a weapon Heavy? It would only give Small characters disadvantage.
Topple and Push both require heavy, reach, or versatile and Cleave and Graze are heavy only. Which means that fighters and only fighters can put topple or push on whips.

mellored

Legend
Just going to toss out an idea for Topple to avoid extra rolls.

If you rolled a 16 or higher on the D20, and deal damage to the target, they fall prone.

Horwath

Legend
Lots of people hate Flex as written. So how about some suggestions for a fix? What are options that might work with Versatile? What if Flex instead:
  1. Gave "damage advantage" where you roll an extra damage die and take the best result. (This works 1 handed or 2 handed, but would it be OP if you also include the original Flex die bump? Roll 2d10, take the best?)
  2. Let you use a Versatile weapon with such Flexibility that it counts as a Light weapon for you. (Helps with Warrior 2WF options)
I would suggest deletion.

Versatile need a damage die bump by default, not wasting a mastery "slot" for it.

Graze on top of damage die bump would be a good buff for sword and board warrior.

DEFCON 1

Legend
Supporter
Cleave. Because not only does it give a martial a little bit of Area of Effect damage (as someone above said)... but it also gives another additional tactic for the warrior to work with... which is maneuvering during battle so that enemies end up in positions where they are next to each other and thus can be Cleaved.

Even now in 5E with the rules such that you can use your move in between attacks... there's usually little reason to do so (especially for those tables that don't incorporate the Flanking variant rule). So once two melee creatures engage with each other, there's not many reasons for them to ever reposition themselves (especially when it results in an OA.) And thus many melee fights can end up rather static. So abilities that give reasons for melee warriors to move around I see as a good thing.

The Protection fighting style does inspire the shield-user to maneuver themselves adjacent to an ally... and now the Cleave property inspires the weapons-user to maneuver themselves so that two of their targets end up adjacent. These are abilities that I think are good to have because it gives reason to move during a fight. And I think the game could be benefit by having even more.

Remove ads