D&D (2024) Which Weapon Mastery is Your Favorite?

Which Weapon Mastery is Your Favorite?

• Cleave

Votes: 9 19.6%
  • Flex

Votes: 2 4.3%
  • Graze

Votes: 8 17.4%
  • Nick

Votes: 5 10.9%
  • Push

Votes: 4 8.7%
  • Sap

Votes: 2 4.3%
  • Slow

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Topple

• Vex

Votes: 8 17.4%
  • I do not like the Weapon Mastery mechanic

Stalker0

Legend
Just going to toss out an idea for Topple to avoid extra rolls.

If you rolled a 16 or higher on the D20, and deal damage to the target, they fall prone.
Honestly you could just make Topple auto-work on a crit. Let it be good for crit builds and something the fighter might switch to when they have advantage on attacks (for greater crit chance).

My fighter slashes with his greatsword back and forth. The sword moves to his back to rest on its mount as I see my friend move to flank (help action) the opponent. I draw the hammer and slam it into the distracted enemies chest, doing a great wound and knocking them flat on their back.

I would suggest deletion.

Versatile need a damage die bump by default, not wasting a mastery "slot" for it.

Graze on top of damage die bump would be a good buff for sword and board warrior.
So if Battle Axe "Versatile" damage was bumped up to 1d12 instead of 1d10, why would anyone wield a Greataxe?

mellored

Legend
Honestly you could just make Topple auto-work on a crit. Let it be good for crit builds and something the fighter might switch to when they have advantage on attacks (for greater crit chance).
Crits don't happen often enough IMO. And needing to roll a 16+ still works better with advantage.

Oh, how about.

If your total attack roll is higher than their Strength score, you knock them pronem

Horwath

Legend
Crits don't happen often enough IMO. And needing to roll a 16+ still works better with advantage.

Oh, how about.

If your total attack roll is higher than their Strength score, you knock them pronem
or if you beat their AC by 5, you knock them prone.
Then chance depends on your skill, targets armor and some luck.

Horwath

Legend
A "need" for a damage bump across the board for this issue? Yeah, nope.
yes, the main problem with D&D was always that martials did too much damage. yeah, not really.

when you swing a weapon with two hands, you generally generate 50% or little more energy than with one hand.

So take longsword with 1d8+5 and greatsword with 2d6+5, 9,5 vs 12 damage. 26% more.
if you bump greatsword to 2d8+5 it is 9,5 vs 14. 47% increase in damage.

So yeah, greasword needs the 2d8 base damage. at least.

also, GWF style should just give +3 damage instead of that useless reroll that adds next to nothing.

yes, the main problem with D&D was always that martials did too much damage. yeah, not really.

when you swing a weapon with two hands, you generally generate 50% or little more energy than with one hand.

So take longsword with 1d8+5 and greatsword with 2d6+5, 9,5 vs 12 damage. 26% more.
if you bump greatsword to 2d8+5 it is 9,5 vs 14. 47% increase in damage.

So yeah, greasword needs the 2d8 base damage. at least.

also, GWF style should just give +3 damage instead of that useless reroll that adds next to nothing.
Pulling fake statistics out of thin air. Not winning me over.

50% more energy? You're just making up justifications for your own brain. I don't have your brain.

So if Battle Axe "Versatile" damage was bumped up to 1d12 instead of 1d10, why would anyone wield a Greataxe?
If they can use a Mastery (so fighter or barbarian) they get that in addition to the d12 so strictly better.

If they can't use a Mastery ... who's taking two handed weapons who can't use a mastery? Maybe L7 fighters. But the Battle Axe has always been a problem child.

Remove ads