Pathfinder 1E Whinge about Pathfinder RPG availabilty

MerakSpielman

First Post
Greetings! Haven't posted on ENworld for quite some time... but a buddy of mine turned me on to Pathfinder, and brought over his Core Rulebook. We all liked it, and I went and ordered mine right away...

So needless to say I'm in the same boat as all of you. I ordered from Amazon, and apparently they don't actually have any books in stock. The shipping date was listed as "Between Nov 20 and 30" and there is still no indication of it being shipped. I ordered it in September! Oh well...

Oh, I'd also like to extend a heartfelt thank you to James Jacobs here... Pathfinder is the first RPG I've seen in ages that has a genuine, usable INDEX. I was amazed to see it. I worked as a tech editor for several years and know a good index is a time-consuming pain to put together -- so much so that it's one of the first things cut when deadlines loom. Thank you for not doing so!

At any rate, ciao, perhaps I will swing by here in the future when my book comes in and I can start some actual planning. :)

Jason Bulmahn

Adventurer
Pathfinder is the first RPG I've seen in ages that has a genuine, usable INDEX. I was amazed to see it. I worked as a tech editor for several years and know a good index is a time-consuming pain to put together -- so much so that it's one of the first things cut when deadlines loom. Thank you for not doing so!

After my last Index attempt... I am glad to see that this one is working out for folks.

Jason Bulmahn
Lead Designer
Paizo Publishing

MerakSpielman

First Post
Got an update email from Amazon. Apparently they can't ship the order until December 21, almost 2 months after I placed the order for an item they listed as "in-stock."

Ah well. I hope nobody was expecting this book in time for Christmas...

I might just see if my FLGS has a copy, and cancel the Amazon order altogether. I only order from them because I'm lazy. But I'm also impatient...

Erekose

Eternal Champion
Well as there's still no change from Amazon (i.e. my order is still somewhere in the ether . . .) I have decided to order from Infinity Games as they list stock available now.

In fact shortly after making the order it was listed as "allocated" and "dispatching". :D

And yet I'm strangely sad that Amazon didn't finally come through . . . :confused:

TheAuldGrump

First Post
Weird, I have my copy from Amazon in hand, got it last week.

What did they do, under order again? :eek: They seem to be doing that a lot with the RPGs that I order/pre-order. They did it with Fantasy Craft as well, if I recall properly.

The Auld Grump

Erekose

Eternal Champion
Weird, I have my copy from Amazon in hand, got it last week.

What did they do, under order again? :eek: They seem to be doing that a lot with the RPGs that I order/pre-order. They did it with Fantasy Craft as well, if I recall properly.

The Auld Grump

Well, since the estimated delivery of 20 November came and went all I've had is the following message:

And so the 20 November has come and gone with no delivery of the PFRPG and my order has changed to, "We'll notify you via e-mail when we have an estimated delivery date for this item".

Sigh . . . :(

I've just checked the website ([ame=http://www.amazon.co.uk/Pathfinder-Roleplaying-Game-Core-Rulebook/dp/1601251505/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1260539230&sr=8-1]Pathfinder Roleplaying Game: Core Rulebook: Amazon.co.uk: Jason Bulmahn: Books[/ame]) and its now listed only as, "Available from these sellers."

Perhaps Amazon UK will never have it available?

Kodyax

First Post
Assuming Paizo can ship internationally, you might want to consider getting future products directly from the publisher. More often than not that's what I do, but I live in the states and I'm a charter subscriber to Pathfinder and have been so from the beginning. When Dragon and Dungeon magazines went digital and consequently back to WotC I converted my remaining subscriptions of those magazine to what was then a new and untested endeavor. I have yet to regret doing this.

Erik Mona

Adventurer
Without getting too political, here's my take on why UK fans are having such a difficult time getting the Pathfinder RPG Core Rulebook. Amazon.com and Amazon.ca purchase their books from our North American book distributor, Diamond Books. Diamond understands the demand for this product, and like most of our American hobby distributors they have put in significant orders on numerous occasions to ensure that their customers can easily get and restock this very popular book.

Amazon.co.uk, on the other hand, apparently must order our books from a UK hobby distributor, and the sad fact is that UK hobby distributors have not been very bullish on Pathfinder, so the country is consequently pretty starved for copies of the Core Rulebook.

I continue to work with our sales staff to come up with ways to encourage UK distributors to more robustly support Pathfinder, but the fact is it's their money, and they apparently feel they have better ways to spend it.

Here's hoping that continued demand and strong sales encourage them to invest more heavily in the Core Rulebook. We'll definitely keep thinking of ways to encourage it on our end.

--Erik Mona
Publisher
Paizo Publishing

Remove ads