Whining & Complaining

Tequila Sunrise

Adventurer
4. I had a player argue with me for 30 minutes because I wouldn't tell him the Charisma score of the women in the tavern so he could make sure that the one he flirted with in hopes to bang was the hottest. I'd tell him who his PC thought was the best looking, but he kept wanting to know their scores (to be safe I guess). It was the weirdest argument I've ever had, but I'm stubborn and refused to metagame. :lol:
I would have assured him that yes, he's hitting on the highest Cha woman in the tavern. And then I would have narrated him waking up the next morning with a drag queen. An ugly drag queen.

"Well, s/he's very charming. Charisma isn't just about looks you know." :D

Well, I have a story about the only player who's ever really ticked me off. I had forgotten about him in Kzach's thread, but the reason he was so annoying was mostly a severe learning handicap, so I don't think it counts toward any "Players are whiny babies" sentiments.

Anyway, one of the things this kid did was complain that my flying mount house rules didn't let his nightmare shoot fireballs. I didn't want mount options to be as complex as PC options, so it was basically a "Here's a mount that can fly; describe it however you want" situation. But no, that wasn't good enough for him -- he complained repeatedly that my mounts are boring and that the whole point of D&D is to individualize your character [with powers and feats and whatnot]. He even brought 3e into his argument, which he had never played, in some kind of attempt to convince me that my mount rules needed powers and whatnot.

I'm still kicking myself for not just telling him "Look dude, it's either boring mounts or no mounts. When you run a campaign, you can make mount rules as interesting as you want." I hate thinking of the right thing to say after the time to say it has passed. :erm:

Keeper of Secrets

First Post
Oh that's good...

... but I submit for your consideration: Umbullto Ego.

He was an Awakened bull with an INT of 18, originally bought, uplifted, buffed, and them magic-jarred and used as a sort remote combat drone in a gladiatorial match against a gelatinous cube with monk levels. After winning the match he has freed, declared a citizen, and entered into a campaign for public office. Later he went to university, where founded a discipline called semioxtics, which, of course, is the study of bull.

I miss 3e sometimes... and what my group did with, no, make that 'to' it.

This, I can dig.

Was this Supers or D&D?

redwullf

Explorer
4. I had a player argue with me for 30 minutes because I wouldn't tell him the Charisma score of the women in the tavern so he could make sure that the one he flirted with in hopes to bang was the hottest. I'd tell him who his PC thought was the best looking, but he kept wanting to know their scores (to be safe I guess). It was the weirdest argument I've ever had, but I'm stubborn and refused to metagame.

This should have been a short argument, as Charisma is not a measure of a character's beauty. Hitler had a high charisma, and he was uglier than a sack of smashed @$$holes.

Gentlegamer

Adventurer
I don't have a problem with any of those names except maybe Cincinnati because it reminds me of the city. But I could probably let it slide since I think the city is named after an actual persons name (don't shoot me if I'm wrong, I've never even been to Cincinnati).
Lucius Quinctius Cincinnatus (519 BC – 430 BC) was an aristocrat and political figure of the Roman Republic, serving as consul in 460 BC and Roman dictator in 458 BC and 439 BC.[1]

Cincinnatus was regarded by the Romans, especially the aristocratic patrician class, as one of the heroes of early Rome and as a model of Roman virtue and simplicity. A persistent opponent of the plebeians, when his son was convicted in absentia and condemned to death, Cincinnatus was forced to live in humble circumstances, working on his own small farm, until an invasion caused him to be called to serve Rome as dictator, an office which he immediately resigned after completing his task of defeating the rivaling tribes of the Aequians, Sabines and Volscians.

His abandoning of his work to serve Rome, and especially his immediate resignation of his absolute authority with the end of the crisis, has often been cited as an example of outstanding leadership, service to the greater good, civic virtue, and modesty. As a result, he has inspired a number of organizations and other entities, a number of which are named for him.

Named in his honor are the towns of Cincinnato, in Lazio, Italy; the United States town of Cincinnatus, New York; and the Society of the Cincinnati which, in turn, lent its name to the U.S. city of Cincinnati, Ohio. George Washington was often compared to Cincinnatus for his willingness to give up near-absolute power once the crisis of the American Revolution had passed and victory had been won, and the Society of the Cincinnati is a historical association founded in the aftermath of the American Revolutionary War to preserve the ideals of the military officer's role in the new American Republic.

Cincinnatus - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Those names are not "cutesy" or slapstick silly. When I told my friends about the name Marshmallow, they all groaned. I guess it just depends on the type of game atmosphere that people enjoy which determines what they find appropriate or not. "Cutesy" when it doesn't fit the subject matter is just not what I enjoy in my D&D games. :eek:
And you really don't have a problem with a paladin's warhorse named Butterfly?

Oryan77

Adventurer
And you really don't have a problem with a paladin's warhorse named Butterfly?

I wouldn't allow the name Butterfly for a warhorse. I have no idea how to explain my like and dislike in a way that people could easily know what I would be ok with. Frankly, I'm surprised people have such a hard time figuring it out. It's pretty simple to me, but then again, I've cringed many times when I've heard stories of peoples "silly" games. We all enjoy different things in our D&D games, so I can't expect that people would understand my line of thought. That was part of the problem the player and I had. :blush:

Was this because the companion was cute or soft in the head?

I think it was because she knew an NPC would eventually ram it on a stick and roast it slowly over a camp fire for being so lame. :p

Richards

Legend
I think we should all raise our glasses and drink to Marshmallow the valued animal companion.

...After which time, it will be a "toasted Marshmallow." :)

Johnathan

Remove ads