• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Whirlwind and sneak attacks

Boone

First Post
A rogue with whirlwind feat approaches the flank of two guards (they are unaware.
(they are standing next to each other.)

Does he get his sneak attack bonuses on each full attack (both primary and off handed) on both guards?

Two creatures are fighting next to each other and the the same rogue flanks them does he get all of his sneak attack bonuses?

(Rogue character is a ... Rogue/fighter/ranger 7/2/1

Starfox

Hero
Whirlwind Attack does not combne with Two-Weapon Fighting - both require full attacks. Otherwise, I see no problem with this.

A more likely/affordable combo is Sneak Attack and Cleave - flank two opponent's simultaneously, Sneak one to death, Cleave the other to death. Look good doing it.

whatisitgoodfor

First Post
I think this would fall under the shuriken ruling.

You are making one attack that simply has multiple attack rolls. If that is the case, then you only get sneak attack damage on the first attack roll. However, I'm not sure about the WWA.

On second thought, if cleave can trigger off of a WWA then the WWA's will all recieve sneak attack damage. Again, I'm not sure about this one.

--------------
Regardless, Cleave definitely doesn't allow for multiple uses of the sneak attack ability. No cleave attack will ever recieve bonus damage from sneak attack.

Boone

First Post
mis read the whirlwind...

however since in the first example the guards are "flat footed" and thus denided dex. modifier... would the 2nd target provoke an attack of opportunity..?

CRGreathouse

Community Supporter
whatisitgoodfor said:
I think this would fall under the shuriken ruling.

No, it wouldn't. You can get multiple sneak attacks from shuriken (BAB +6/+1 means 6 shuriken and up to 2 sneak attacks); in the same way, a WWA allows multiple sneak attacks, if possible.

whatisitgoodfor

First Post
however since in the first example the guards are "flat footed" and thus denided dex. modifier... would the 2nd target provoke an attack of opportunity..?

No, first of all, you aren't doing anything that provokes an AoO, that I can see. Secondly, the gaurd is still flat-footed, and therefore can't make AoO's unless he has the Combat Reflexes Feat.

------------
CRGreathouse:

I agree that multiple attacks will allow a rogue to make multiple sneak attacks, but I'm just not sure if WWA allows multiple attacks or just multiple attack rolls in one attack.

The comparison to shurikens is that they allow multiple attack rolls with one attack, but only the first one can deal sneak attack damage.

Boone

First Post
So he would get to attack the 2nd guard if he had "combat reflexes"?

He would get "one" extra attack with sneak attack damage and that attack would be with his primary weapon now with out any two weapon fighting modifiers because he is only attacking with his primary weapon.

is the above statment correct?

Crothian

First Post
Combat reflexes would help the gaurd. With this feat you can take AoO flatfooted. That's what combat reflexes is about.

If the rogue is only attacking with the one weapon, then he just gets his normal number of attacks. If both gaurds are flat footed tand he gets 2 attacks he could attack them both and get sneak attack damage.

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads