• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Whirlwind Attack and 5-foot step

Alpha Polaris

First Post
Sorry if it's too much from the Department of Redundancy Department, but "Whirlwind Attack" is so common in these threads it becomes difficult to make a meaningful search... I was considering the Spring Attack - Whirlwind Attack Route for a 5th level rogue character with dodge and mobility, but my friends warned me that it was seldom usefull. So I made some researches, and found a basic rule about full attack actions (SRD 3.5):
The only movement you can take during a full attack is a 5-foot step. You may take the step before, after, or between your attacks.
And Whirlwind Attack:
When you use the full attack action, you can give up your regular attacks and instead make one melee attack at your full base attack bonus against each opponent within reach.
The way I read it, a character with this feat can make a 5-foot step in the middle of the whirlwind attack, and make one melee attack against each new opponent within reach. Is it correct ?

mikebr99

Explorer
Alpha Polaris said:
Sorry if it's too much from the Department of Redundancy Department, but "Whirlwind Attack" is so common in these threads it becomes difficult to make a meaningful search... I was considering the Spring Attack - Whirlwind Attack Route for a 5th level rogue character with dodge and mobility, but my friends warned me that it was seldom usefull. So I made some researches, and found a basic rule about full attack actions (SRD 3.5):

And Whirlwind Attack:

The way I read it, a character with this feat can make a 5-foot step in the middle of the whirlwind attack, and make one melee attack against each new opponent within reach. Is it correct ?
That is the way I do it...

Mike

Plane Sailing

Astral Admin - Mwahahaha!
I've not played it that way, but it would give the feat a much needed boost - considering the huge feat chain needed to get it, it isn't all that special otherwise.

IceBear

Explorer
I don't think that isn't meant to be allowed, but I don't think it would break the feat to allow it. I always thought the way the whirlwind attack was to be treated is as ONE attack with many attack rolls. Thus, there is no way to take the step between ATTACKS (as it is only one attack).

Again, it's been awhile but I thought that was the consensus on this board about Whirlwind attacks at that time

Darklone

IceBear said:
I don't think that isn't meant to be allowed, but I don't think it would break the feat to allow it. I always thought the way the whirlwind attack was to be treated is as ONE attack with many attack rolls. Thus, there is no way to take the step between ATTACKS (as it is only one attack).

Again, it's been awhile but I thought that was the consensus on this board about Whirlwind attacks at that time
Same for me. Half-dragon/halfogres with Spiked chain and Righteous Might have much too many attacks already with Whirlwind ;)

mikebr99

Explorer
Darklone said:
Same for me. Half-dragon/halfogres with Spiked chain and Righteous Might have much too many attacks already with Whirlwind ;)
Yeah... but this is broken for a whole bunch of different reasons then when the guy takes his 5ft. step. YMMV

Mike

IMO, you cannot make a 5-foot step as part of a whirlwind attack. The reason is that feat states you can make an attack against opponents within reach. Not, within reach both before and after you take a 5-foot step. If a 5-foot step was part and parcel of the WW feat, then sure but it's not so basically you're gaining extra power from it.

Think about this: you're surrounded by 8 opponents; you WW and kill all 8 then 5-ft step and potentially kill another 5. Too much in my books and I don't see that as being the way the feat was designed.

Len

Prodigal Member
Crothian said:
the five foot step comes before or after a full round action, not in the middle of.
Not true:
SRD said:
Full-Round Action: A full-round action consumes all your effort during a round. The only movement you can take during a full-round action is a 5-foot step before, during, or after the action. [...] Some full-round actions do not allow you to take a 5-foot step.
And under "Full Attack:"
SRD said:
The only movement you can take during a full attack is a 5-foot step. You may take the step before, after, or between your attacks.
Given the way Whirlwind Attack is described ("When you use your full attack action..."), it's clear that a Whirlwind Attack is a full attack action, and therefore it does permit a 5-foot step between attacks, QED.

Remove ads