D&D 5E Who Are the Thri-Kreen?

I hate that they lost the abdomen they had in most 2E depictions, but that's not 5E's fault - it's 3E and 4E's. Just makes them look too "cheap B-movie/Power Rangers villains" rather than insect-people.

Otherwise it sounds like they're handling them fairly well and the "different in different worlds" thing and directly mentioning Dark Sun will indeed encourage speculation there, as @TwoSix says.

Parmandur

Book-Friend
I hate that they lost the abdomen they had in most 2E depictions, but that's not 5E's fault - it's 3E and 4E's. Just makes them look too "cheap B-movie/Power Rangers villains" rather than insect-people.

Otherwise it sounds like they're handling them fairly well and the "different in different worlds" thing and directly mentioning Dark Sun will indeed encourage speculation there, as @TwoSix says.
Well, ot quite as much fuel as when D&D Beyond accidentally put up the map with "Athasspace" for the Spelljammer book before rapidly taking it down.

I like how the Thri-kreen are the stand-ins for Star Frontiers' Vrusk in the upcoming 5e Spelljammers setting. I wonder if they will have Vrusk' personality from Star Frontiers or not. For those of you have never looked at any of the Star Frontiers material, the Vrusk were corporate-minded beings who put the needs of their business before their individual selves. So for 5e, they could have the Guild Artisan or Guild Merchants backgrounds.
Now for an enemy race in Spelljammers, can anyone picture the worm-like Sathar in this setting? ;)

Remove ads