• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

D&D General Who coined the phrase "murder hobo"

der_kluge

Adventurer
Ok, I figured out I could search usenet via groups.google.com
I searched "rec.frp.games.dnd"

This is what I found that was relevant:

Brode Geers said:
to the rest of the 1st level fighters but compared to a 5th level fighter he's a hobo w/ a sword.

Cerberus AOD<break /><break /><break /> from: Mar 15 said:
"Hobo" prestige class

willi...@cox.net<break /><break /><break /> from: Jun 5 said:
"Hobo of doom"

smiti...@yahoo.com<break /><break /><break /> from: Apr 3 said:
Murdering Hobo... sorry, Adventurer. "

Telok<break /><break /><break /> from: Apr 28 said:
murder hobo attitude most D&D games seem to turn into."

The phrase "Murder hobo" doesn't actually appear in this group until 2013, although "Murdering hobo" is REALLY, REALLY close (from 2009).

Happy to search other usenet groups. I'm not super familiar with all the groups in usenet, so folks will have to recommend other groups for me to search.

edit: sorry, some of my formatting seemed to have gotten screwed up, and I'm apparently too stupid to figure out how to fix it. The "Murdering hobo" reference was from Apr 3, 2009.

If you are not looking or finding results from the 1980's, you're not finding the right results. Or your results are not really relevant. There are several of us who have stated we remember the term being used in the 1980's. Not sure how you would find such references directly, perhaps interview folks who were around then and ask them what they remember.

Iry

Hero
Definitely used it during the days of AD&D. Both murder and hobo would be pretty common things to attribute to adventurers, so it's probably independent discovery by many different people/groups.

Quartz

Hero
I wonder if the term comes from 'murder(ous / ing) hobbos' i.e. murderous / murdering hobbits? And then got shortened to the current form? Dark Sun might have been an influence here, or it might have riffed on the pre-existing idea.

der_kluge

Adventurer
I wonder if the term comes from 'murder(ous / ing) hobbos' i.e. murderous / murdering hobbits? And then got shortened to the current form? Dark Sun might have been an influence here, or it might have riffed on the pre-existing idea.
Why Dark Sun? Does it mention murder(ous) hobos somewhere?

Remove ads