• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

D&D 5E Who else uses silver as the currency denominator rather than gold?

snickersnax

Explorer
There probably then needs to be another coin type (bronze piece?) below c.p., to fill the gap where c.p. used to be. Without that you probably lose too much granularity.
Compare with pre-1970's Britain - the standard unit was a pound, below which you (commonly) had shillings and pence, with 240p to the pound...which made for a very granular system...but not granular enough, thus the need for ha'pennies (1/2p) and farthings (1/4p). Only having one coin type below the standard unit simply isn't enough. Lanefan

You could have another coin type below copper, but it is really unnecessary. Only a few items and services are listed as copper in PH (gold standard) and they are easily adjusted by giving multiples for a copper (eg 1 candle = 1cp in RAW, so 10 candles for 1 cp on the silver standard, same with torches: 10 for 1 cp) or rounding up (even a tankard listed as 2cp (gold standard), could easily be 1 cp in the silver standard world).

The truth is that adventuring characters spend none of their careers at the low end of the monetary system. First level characters start with 20-200gp (gold standard). It doesn't take more than a few levels before copper is completely irrelevant and isn't worth the weight to carry or the time to count. Unless the DM handwaves everything, most characters without a stingy money characteristic from their background will just start leaving the copper on the ground, or maybe that was just my players :)

Ilbranteloth

Explorer
In all my vanilla campaigns I tend to use silver as the coin base, and I use historical accurate conversion ratios.

1 Gold = 20 Silver = 240 Copper

Since gold is rare and copper coins to minor, I do not have to use the conversion often anyway.

The easiest way to use this is just say Silver instead of gold for the PHB tables. But mostly I do my own equipment lists anyway and decide the value of things so the relation does reflect e.g. work needed to put in the manufacturing of items or availability of items (handmade <-> quasi industrial manufacturing of items), and also the relation between the value of items has to be fitting e.g. if a dagger costs 10 silver, a long sword might be 75 silver or so.

Most humanoid mobs and some others drop some silver coins, determined mostly random.

Do you do something similar for a better make believe?

I have in the past, and was looking to doing the same thing for 5e (since I can't seem to find my old equipment price lists), and came to the conclusion that it just isn't worth the effort to reprice everything right now.

Also, the "historical" conversion is a moving target. If you're talking about dark ages arms and armor the pricing (and available equipment) is quite different than the early middle ages, the later middle ages, or even the early renaissance. It's not impossible (and I tend to have regional differences, just like the vikings used older styles of armor than the French, for example, in a given time period).

But for the moment, I'm maintaining the published D&D prices.

Having said that, the common folk are paid in silver, and the most common currency on the street is silver as well. I have moneychangers, and except to a collector (provided the condition is good), the treasure that has been sitting for centuries and consists of dead currency is only worth its weight in gold, not its "face value."

Remove ads