Who else wants damage tracked separately per hit ?

the Jester

Legend
Good God, no.

One of the biggest slowdowns in D&D (various editions) is all that tracking. Adding this... a ridiculous amount of additional tracking, imho... would gain us exactly... what? And how on earth would it get along with the hit point system?

No, no, no, a thousand times no.

nomotog

Explorer
As practical everyone else has said, this is really no doubt a bad idea. It's a lot of extra book keeping and for not much benefit, but I want to play devils advocate and try to think about how such a system would work.

Each time you get attacked by an enemy you gain an wound, Multiple attacks of the same type all add to the same wound. So if your attacked 3 times by a sword you would add up all the sword damage into one wound, but then if your attacked by an arrow that damage would go into it's own wound.

There is a maximum amount of wounds you can have. Maybe based on con + any perks you have. Generally having damage spread out on many wounds makes it easier to get them healed. If your out of free wounds, then the attacker gets to add the damage anywhere they want.

You would be able to heal the damage from each wound by it's self and most magic would heal damage from several wounds at a time. More mundane skills would just heal a single wound all at once with the DC based about how much damage is in it.

Finally different status ailments could have the duration of wound. That would mean they last in till all the damage in that wound is healed. Different classes would even be able to pick the wound they drop the damage goes into to make it harder/easier to remove the ailment.

And that would be the idea, but we should probably never use it. I men look at all that text and that's just the idea. The actual rules would be pages long.

S

Sunseeker

I don't like wound systems and I don't like weird fiddly methods of tracking HP and it's loss. Not to mention this would take up TONS of space, I can already reasonably fill up half a page with damage and healing tracking.

Viking Bastard

Adventurer
I'd like to only track hits (1 HP = 1 hit) if rolling for damage wasn't so much fun, but I don't want to track more than one pool of anything.

Knight Templar

First Post
Something I would like to see, perhaps as an optional rule, would be a hit point system like what they had in Alternity. I was really hoping more Alternity stuff would make it into 3e, but oh well. Alternity had 4 types of damage:

Stun: Measured light, superficial wounds that would heal quickly.

Wound: Measured more significant wounds that could be worrisome.

Mortal: Measured serious, life-threatening wounds. Even a single point of mortal damage was bad.

Fatigue: Measured, well, fatigue.

Alternity was so great, 3e should have been a melding of 2e and Alternity.

Doug McCrae

Legend
I'm a big fan of tracking damage per hit if it lets mundane healing skills repair a small amount of damage per hit. Sure it takes a bit more room on the sheet, but by keeping them separate, non magical healing can be made to matter by allowing each wound to be healed a few HP, with magical healing being saved for emergencies.
Why not just buff mundane healing?

Remove ads