D&D 5E Who got their Rime today?

TheSword

Legend
Beating a dead horse, but they also do have sunlight.

If all you have is four hours of twilight per day, you don't have any photosynthesis, so you don't have plants. If you don't have any plants, you don't have any animals.

It's basically Cormac McCarthy's The Road, plus everything is frozen.
Oh, my sweet summer childwhat do you know of fear?

Fear is for the winter, my little lord, when the snows fall a hundred feet deep and the ice wind comes howling out of the north.

Fear is for the long night, when the sun hides its face for years at a time, and little children are born and live and die all in darkness while the direwolves grow gaunt and hungry, and the white walkers move through the woods...

My understanding is that this is fantasy horror. I’m minded of this quote from see Alliser Thorne..

I spent six months out there, beyond the Wall, during the last winter. Supposed to be a two-week mission [...] they hid in their caves and waited for it to pass... and we got caught in the open. Wind so strong, it yanked hundred-foot trees straight from the ground, roots and all. If you took your gloves off to find your cock to have a piss, you lost a finger to the frost. And all in darkness.

You don't know cold. Neither of you do. The horses died first. Didn't have enough to feed them, to keep them warm. Eating the horses was easy... but later, when we started to fall... that wasn't easy.

We should've had a couple of boys like you along, shouldn't we? Soft, fat boys like you. We'd have lasted a fortnight on you, and still have bones left over for soup. Soon we'll have new recruits, and you lot will be passed along to the Lord Commander for assignment. And they will call you "men of the Night's Watch," but you'd be fools to believe it. You're boys, still. And come the winter, you will die... like flies.”

It certainly sums up my intended tone of the campaign.

Burnside

Space Jam Confirmed
Supporter
Oh, my sweet summer childwhat do you know of fear?

Fear is for the winter, my little lord, when the snows fall a hundred feet deep and the ice wind comes howling out of the north.

Fear is for the long night, when the sun hides its face for years at a time, and little children are born and live and die all in darkness while the direwolves grow gaunt and hungry, and the white walkers move through the woods...

My understanding is that this is fantasy horror. I’m minded of this quote from see Alliser Thorne..

It certainly sums up my intended tone of the campaign.

Interesting article about this:

Retreater

Legend
The only thing we can go on is first impressions. If we wait for actual playthrough reviews, we wouldn't see anything for months. I can trust initial impressions enough to whether or not I'd want to buy an RPG adventure - though I usually wait for a playthrough review before I commit to running an adventure.

Does anyone know the Pathfinder supplement Irrisen, Land of Eternal Winter? It's about a land locked in, you guessed it, eternal winter, but apparently people still live there and all. It might give some ideas as how to run/handle RotIM, but it might also just use a lot of handwavium.

Today I finished reading to the end of it (I did skim-read a few parts). Love so much. I think I can use this book for a long time.

But the Epilogue?? ‘The Obelisk has now sent them back to the spring of -343 DR … the characters now have a whole new world to explore … you will need to delve into earlier products...’

No thank you. That won’t happen.

Does it actually say "you need to delve into earlier products"? If so, that actually makes me happy. It means they're promoting older material and older lore. I personally haven't been a fan of how 5e has disregarded some lore, changing it on a dime for no real reason, so if they're actually promoting older lore, I'll take that as a good sign.

As for the obelisk itself being able to send them back in time...that could really screw with things lol.

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Recent & Upcoming Releases