D&D 5E Who Should Be my BBEG?

Urriak Uruk

Gaming is fun, and fun is for everyone
If I was running this starting low level, I’d have the PCs start with the Elvish Imperium, perhaps hired as crew on an Merchant ship owned by House Kueryll. Perhaps have them need to run a Solarian Blockade to get to their destination.

I’d have a couple of Hive warriors on the ship making the crew feel uncomfortable and at some point I’d have the Merchant ship get into combat with a ship of the Crimson Fleet.

Let the game play out from their with the PCs making a choice of which faction they like or not

My players have always tended to be folks who are very "point us to the bad guy, don't make us choose." I still like giving players choice, but they always will go for the one that it seems I like the most (intentional or not).

I'm still not loving the Hive villain here. Not that a hive is a bad idea in itself, just it seems out of place in a pirate campaign. Maybe if it somehow tied to pirate themes in some other way, but I don't see it. The others I totally get from different approaches.

Zardnaar

Legend
Which of these can nominally be on the PCs side for an early adventure, only to face-heel turn, betray the party (ideally off camera, so the PCs don't just kill them).

Basically a good BBEG should elicit emotions from the players. By having an NPC on their side, it encourages non-deadly interaction. Then by betraying off-camera, it generates hate.

And now you have a BBEG the players haven't killed, know, and hate.

The Knights gave been corrupted so the can do a face turn with them. Not all of them are xenophobic either.

Hive yeah not my best idea. Haven't even developed it. Originally I used the Ja Din in. 2E. They were insectoid warriors in service to the Elves. I suppose I could just refluff the Thri Kreen.

House Kueryll is more LE, Jerith'Kor more CE. Jerith Kor would create Elvish Yuan Ti if they could.

NotAYakk

Legend
I want to identify a structural problem.

Who are the elves fading in comparison to?

We have (a) insect mercs, (b) parasite pirates, (c) ancient isolated snakefolk, (d) racist rebels.

Where is the rival power? Or is it an internal rot?

Like, the elves have run into their reproduction rate problem. They are crazy powerful, but each high wuality elf takes more than 100 years to product, and they come slowly. Even elven grunts take 50 years.

The dynamic "grasp the world" elves have been getting killed off. More and more of those that survive are paranoid, lazy, passive and/or reclusive.

Conflict between half-elves and purebloods, caused by the purebloods being insanely powerful (100s of years of power collecting and expertise), while half-elves able to reproduce faster and grow up quicker, is a fracture in their society.

A solution a pureblood line has developed is to use mercenary insect warriors instead of half elves, under the cover that "even half elven lives are worth saving".

Until recently, that internal rot led to the pirates freeholders growing in power. Once upon a time they where pirates, but now control key supply locations, settlements, and charge tarrifs on cargo. Those who do not pay the tarrif are preyed upon.

The previous rlven administration decided it was cheaper to pay rather than fight; the new administration ceased payment of tribute. This caused an initial setback on elven trade, but the new insect mercenaries and capital ships changed the game. But there is a very limited number of those (like 2-4).

In turn, the Knights represent a nominally non-connected force to a rival weaker than elven empire, but actually get resources from them. They have been providing the pirates with supplies to build anti-capital ship techniques (avoid? sink? outrun? - I like avoid, mainly). They have a weapon capable of sinking a capital ship, and are trying to set up a situation to use it (ambush).

The elves, meanwhile, are demanding no nation pay tribute to the pirates; many do in secret, including elven merchant guilds. Others do not. The pirates aggressively go after people who don't pay the tax, and horror stories of not paying is important to bring more online. Their ships don't guard other nations cargo.

The Snakes can be the weapon dealers of the resistance. They sell the stealth magic, which is fueled by mortal souls, as well as the knight's capital ship weapon (maybe it summons a shadow sea serpent that drains the life of the crew?).

Goals:
Elves want domination.
Pirates want the elves to pay tribute. And will engage in terror tactics to pull it off. They want that ship killing weapon; one wants to use it on a mainland elven city.

Knights want to weaken the elves, or make their empire fall. This could permit their mainland kingdom to dominate the elves.

Hive wants the elves to become dependent on them, then overthrow them in a decapitation strike.

Snakes want to ammass enough souls to unkeash a mega version of the weapon, and kill all of the warm bloods in the area, so they can continue in peace.

Fanatic Knight has figured out what the Snakes are up to. And wants to steal the weapon and unleash it on the elven homeland, wiping them all out.

Hive may figure out the weapon; it being genus specific means they could use it against the snakes and the mammals.

So that permits everyone as a possible BBEG. Except the elves, who are patsies.

Last edited:

Curmudjinn

Explorer
I'm running a sandbox game with several villains. The theme is Happy pirates and I'm using There is No Honor from the Savage Tide as my base game. I have several contenders.

The Elves
The Elvish Imperium is past it's heyday but House Kueryll and Jerith'Kor are determined to rebuild their legacy. The have recruited vicious insectoid soldiers into their forces.

The Knights of Vanya
A military order founded in Solaria devoted to kicking the elves out of Solaria. Since the defeat of the Imperium they were expelled to Kriegsburg for being to extreme. They are human extremists devoted the "the purge". Exterminate!

Yuant Ti.

The serpent people linger in the ruins of the ancients and observe. Responsible for the slave trade such unfortunates usually end up as food. Or used in experiments by Coiled Cabal biomancers.

The Crimson Fleet
Preying on the Elvish Main these pirates are based out of Scuttlecove. Any who fall into their hands often end up as slaves sold to the Yuan Ti as bait.

The Hive
A new player that is providing troops to the Elves. Unknown to them the drones are part of a collective conscious that regards other lifeforms as food. Eat now?

How about... One of the PCs? After quests versus all of the likely baddies, a PC dies. Only to return as the BBEG all along.

NotAYakk

Legend
Ah wait; centauri trick. After being betrayed by the hive and best back by the pirates, a sect of elves seeks to use the weapin in the hive, snakes, and eventually humans and half elves.

This ends up being a story about a magical nuke and genocude, which may not be what you are looking for.

The snakes come out best. They just want the invaders gone. But nobody comes out good.

For creep factor, the shadow stealth tech the snakes are selling makes everyone into wraith like ghosts, and over time starts to stick. Those who use it slowly become undead.

Remove ads