Who Wants A Labyrinth RPG?

Given that David Bowie was the greatest being ever to have lived, the answer to the question is: me! This was posted by Questing Beast on Twitter: a Labyrinth RPG being created by River Horse Games.

Given that David Bowie was the greatest being ever to have lived, the answer to the question is: me! This was posted by Questing Beast on Twitter: a Labyrinth RPG being created by River Horse Games.

D1Ys5FdVYAET8sw.jpg

"The secret RPG project I was hired to work on is... [Labyrinth]

It's being created by River Horse Games, who have created the overall structure and mechanics. I'm writing 90% of the adventure, which will be most of the book. 90 interlinked scenes full of OSR-style challenges. Definitely not OSR rules, though.

You'll only get to see about 1/3 of the scenes on each run, as you roll a die to see which scene you discover next. Linking the scenes create a new Labyrinth map with each playthrough. Almost every scene has random generators that add new twists, so no two games will be the same.

Mechanics are very simple, perfect for new players and new DMs (excuse me, "Goblin Kings"), and there's a 13 hour clock slowly ticking down throughout the adventure. Don't beat the game in time and you LOSE. Start over and try to get farther.

Tons of attention is being paid to layout. Each scene is a two page spread, with everything you need to know right there in front of you. You'll use a bookmark to track your progress through the book as you solve more challenges.

It's going to be packed with Brian Froud art from The Goblins of Labyrinth, as well as a number of other illustrators. River Horse is working to make sure that the book is of a ridiculously high quality that rivals the best OSR books coming out."

Thanks to Jeremy for the scoop!

Umbran

Mod Squad
Staff member
Supporter
I'm not terribly keen on the structure - it sounds like it is a bit more Gloomhaven than RPG, and I'm wondering at the replay-value. But, we shall see.

Ed Laprade

First Post
Doesn't sound much like an RPG to me. And are you allowed to use the technique that Our Heroine should have used? (Climbing OVER the frekin' walls! They weren't that high, and had plenty of handholds. And once at the top, she could have scouted out a route that would have cut down on the time even more, every time she climbed one.)

univoxs

That's my dog, Walter
Supporter
I made a little adventure once for Pathfinder. The maze itself was hex crawl where survival\perception rolls were needed to advance hexes and each section of the maze (stone wall, hedge, etc.) had varying degrees of difficulty and had different random encounters which would increase is probability when they failed to move forward. Scaling the walls would get them spotted by Jareth from his castle and bring some serious repercussions (difficult encounter, teleported back a hex). I set the whole thing in Golarion's Firstworld which makes sense thematically and kept in squarely in the world of Pathfinder.

G

Guest 6801328

RPGs were called RPGs before anybody made up backstories or spoke in 1st person with bad accents.

So, yeah, this sounds like an RPG I would play.

Remove ads

Remove ads