Who Wants A Labyrinth RPG?

Given that David Bowie was the greatest being ever to have lived, the answer to the question is: me! This was posted by Questing Beast on Twitter: a Labyrinth RPG being created by River Horse Games.

D1Ys5FdVYAET8sw.jpg

"The secret RPG project I was hired to work on is... [Labyrinth]

It's being created by River Horse Games, who have created the overall structure and mechanics. I'm writing 90% of the adventure, which will be most of the book. 90 interlinked scenes full of OSR-style challenges. Definitely not OSR rules, though.

You'll only get to see about 1/3 of the scenes on each run, as you roll a die to see which scene you discover next. Linking the scenes create a new Labyrinth map with each playthrough. Almost every scene has random generators that add new twists, so no two games will be the same.

Mechanics are very simple, perfect for new players and new DMs (excuse me, "Goblin Kings"), and there's a 13 hour clock slowly ticking down throughout the adventure. Don't beat the game in time and you LOSE. Start over and try to get farther.

Tons of attention is being paid to layout. Each scene is a two page spread, with everything you need to know right there in front of you. You'll use a bookmark to track your progress through the book as you solve more challenges.

It's going to be packed with Brian Froud art from The Goblins of Labyrinth, as well as a number of other illustrators. River Horse is working to make sure that the book is of a ridiculously high quality that rivals the best OSR books coming out."

Thanks to Jeremy for the scoop!

Ratskinner

Adventurer
Not having seen the rules....the description doesn't make it sound like much of an rpg. However, it does sound like a good time, at least amongst a suitably nerdy group. I am definitely intrigued.

Do I want a Labyrinth rpg? Not particularly. I find that Fate actually answers most of my rpg needs when it comes to settings. I'm not so much interested in garnering new game mechanics for new worlds. Now, particular stories and story games, that is a secondary interest of mine that this game sounds like it will match nicely. I will be very curious to compare it to games like Blades in the Dark, The Quiet Year, Fiasco, and Once Upon a Time.

MNblockhead

A Title Much Cooler Than Anything on the Old Site
I'm not terribly keen on the structure - it sounds like it is a bit more Gloomhaven than RPG, and I'm wondering at the replay-value. But, we shall see.

If not overly expensive, I don't mind there not being a great deal of replay value. I like the idea of a highly thematic game that I can use for a few one shots. If the book looks good, I'll buy it. If the art and production values are great, I'll keep it in the collection, otherwise I'll put it in my neighborhood's Little Free Library box. If it is indeed easy to pickup, it seems it could be a good gateway game to expose someone to TTRPGs.

Sounds like fun. I've played with the idea of running a homebrew Labyrinth campaign once, but decided to instead make a Labyrinth-inspired side quest for my current pirate campaign instead.

I quickly realized that giant labyrinths in general aren't that interesting to explore in D&D, and so a boardgame-like structure where the players simply go from random encounter to random encounter, seemed like a better solution.... which is exactly what this sounds like.

GMMichael

Guide of Modos
"Smell bad!"
[MENTION=177]Umbran[/MENTION] - I hear you on the Gloomhaven. As long as the price point is significantly lower though, I'd love to try a few games of this.

Toriel

Explorer
And are you allowed to use the technique that Our Heroine should have used? (Climbing OVER the frekin' walls! They weren't that high, and had plenty of handholds. And once at the top, she could have scouted out a route that would have cut down on the time even more, every time she climbed one.)

It's a magical place, you can be sure that if she had tried climbing, the walls would have grown up and she would never have reached the top.

5atbu

Explorer
Doesn't sound much like an RPG to me. And are you allowed to use the technique that Our Heroine should have used? (Climbing OVER the frekin' walls! They weren't that high, and had plenty of handholds. And once at the top, she could have scouted out a route that would have cut down on the time even more, every time she climbed one.)
Oh my, you just didn't get it.. did you?

Ed Laprade

First Post
Oh my, you just didn't get it.. did you?

Mostly. But I tend to analyze books/movies etc. as I read/watch them. That's just how my mind works. So it was the first thing that I thought of. The fact that she never even tried did annoy me a bit, but it was a great movie all the same.

Remove ads

Latest threads

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Upcoming Releases