• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Whoa there, Sparky!

DracoSuave

First Post
Storm Sorceror is the clearest path. Any power that isn't lightning is thunder (or lightning AND thunder).

Except for the handful that have no energy type at all.

But yeah, so long as he doesn't go dragonborn, Storm is best. If he does go dragonborn, Dragon is best. Either way, Lyrander storm rider is pretty much the best PP, cause +1 to hit and a small damage bonus to lightning and thunder yo.

mneme

Explorer
A dragon sorcerer using his breath weapon every turn in exchange for minor damage (between 1 and 4) is pretty cool, flavorwise, and at low levels is decently powerful. Obviously it's not something to do at level 30.

Actually, one can make the breath weapon trick scale pretty well. Stuff like Dragonbreath Warrior (+1W on next melee attack when you use your breath weapon), Draconic Spellcaster to improve the hit/damage of both your spells and your breath weapon, and feats/features that make your breath weapon a lockdown engine on non-teleporting enemies. The only problem is that the best buffs to dragon breath make it something you don't want to eat (or can't eat, since the ally buffs are great). But a more serious dragonbreath build can breathe at least twice per encounter in paragon/epic, once as a free action and will want to.

For more grossness, look to the Genasi. (particularly in high paragon/epic). They never fixed Desert Voice -- so a level 16 Desert Voice can use Windsoul every single round and get all the benefits intended to be associated with using an encounter power -- +1 to hit and +4 (or higher) to damage from Elemental Echo, hand out some temps from Elemental Blessing, another +3 damage from Elemental Might (if you're a defender), etc. Actually, genasi aren't a bad race for lightning builds in any case, if you go with swordmage or wizard.

Dannyalcatraz

Schmoderator
Staff member
Supporter
As for this...
Monk multiclass will give you Ki focus. Those feats are from PHB3/Psionic Power, which the latter is where you'd find the Forked Lighting Ki Focus.

That really will help me with the Raiden/Yoshimitsu build!

jbear

First Post
This build is basically Storm from the X-Men ... hehehe, anyway, as far as Lightning goes it is pretty brutal!

Storm, level 16
Drow, Sorcerer, Lightning Fury: Requires Storm Magic; Spend an AP, zap 3 creatures within 5 of you. Ignore Lightning Resistence, Reduce Lightning immunity to resistence, Furious Bolts encounter power, you have the chance to drop Chain Lightning and potentially hit every single enemy on the battle field (depending on size) as long as you keep hitting and gein an attack bonus on your next turn equal to the amount of targets you hit. Awesome! Lvl 12 Utility: hehe, utility they say: add 1 die of damage to ALL your Lightning powers ALL ENCOUNTER LONG. And you can make all your attacks Lightning attacks. My Lord! lvl 16 any enemy that you hit with a Lightning power moves adjacent to you or attacks you melee receives 2d6+dex lightning dmg. This is getting silly now! Imnot even going to tell you what you get at lvl 20, it's irrelevant.
Spell Source: Storm Magic
Background: Born Under a Bad Sign, (Born Under a Bad Sign Benefit): This is actually my sister-in-laws PC, and this actually fits her backstory. Her family signed her death warrant when their High Priestess declared that their House's ill fortune was her fault and would continue until she was dead. She managed to escape the Underdark with the help of rival families who are greatly interested that she remain alive, but not for altruistic reason. It's obviously an OP, on the cheesy side background to take. Not a big loss anyway. Can be changed.

FINAL ABILITY SCORES
Str 13, Con 13, Dex 22, Int 11, Wis 9, Cha 22.

STARTING ABILITY SCORES
Str 12, Con 12, Dex 16, Int 10, Wis 8, Cha 16.

AC: 30 Fort: 24 Reflex: 31 Will: 31
HP: 109 Surges: 7 Surge Value: 27

TRAINED SKILLS
Arcana +13, Athletics +14, Bluff +19, Intimidate +21, Thievery +19

UNTRAINED SKILLS
Acrobatics +14, Diplomacy +14, Dungeoneering +7, Endurance +9, Heal +7, History +8, Insight +7, Nature +7, Perception +7, Religion +8, Stealth +16, Streetwise +14

FEATS
Level 1: Armor Proficiency: Leather: Sorceror's aren't the sturdiest of PCs. They don't like to be hit. And Storm makes leathers look good.
Level 2: White Lotus Riposte: I hit you, you hit me, i hit you back. With the Drow Cloud of Darkness you can get in and out of the middle of combat and wreak a lot of havoc in between. But it's always good to give enemies a disincentive to come after you.
Level 4: Mark of Storm: Hello dolly! +1 Fly Speed, check! Slide 1 on all Lightining Powers ... guess what, we are going to make ALL your powers Lightning Powers ... muahahaha. Oh and Rituals ... jeesh! This good thing just never ends!
Level 6: Dual Implement Spellcaster: You probably have 2 magic dagger by now. As this goes on it just gets better and better, as you add the enhancement bonus to dmg from your off hand dagger to dmg rolls as well
Level 8: Superior Implement Training (Lancing dagger): Yowsers, this should probably actually be taken at lvl 6. Lancing Dagger gets enhance crit (+1d10 extra crit dmg, 2d10 at lvl 11) and it is energized to Lightning: +2 scaling bonus to dmg with Lightning Powers; All your powers can be lightning powers, even the fire or radiant ones.
Level 10: Sneak of Shadows: Train thievery and gain Sneak Attack 1/encounter. You use daggers, and sneak attack doesn't specify requiring it be a weapon attack. With your Cloud of Darkness you are guaranteed CAdv for at least 2 rounds every fight, which is all you need. +2d6 dmg 1/encounter is a nice dmg boost, and it scales.
Level 11: White Lotus Master Riposte: I hit you, you hit me, I hit you back as hard as the first time I hit you!
Level 12: Implement Focus (Dagger): Yawn ... Damage ... boring. If I was going to change something to chock in some more flavour, this is where I'd start. But at this stage it's another +2 static dmg ... so, what are you going to do? you will have noticed by now there is no Expertise feat. I gave this to my players as a quest reward, so they don't need to waste a slot on it. You may not have that deal, so something may need to be axed.
Level 14: Storm Spellfury: You can fly 2 squares when you hit with an at will. 3 with Mark of the Storm. 15' isn't a bad distance. If you DM makes interesting battlefields this will be loads of fun.
Level 16: Improved Defenses: I know ... sorry.

POWERS
Lolthtouched: Cloud of Darkness
Sorcerer at-will 1: Lightning Strike: For when your targets ar spread out
Sorcerer at-will 1: Blazing Starfall: For when they are close. Good vs Undead, but you can turn it to Lightning as well, zap a group, slide them around, fly up onto a nearby balcony and relax.
Sorcerer encounter 1: Explosive Pyre: If your party can force move enemies, this is a great damaging zone to set up. You can slide enemies yourself so you can even take advantage of it. You can also turn it into Electric Pyre (see weapon in equipment fro how you are making these powers change)
Sorcerer daily 1: Shocking Magnetism: Come to me! Pull a couple of enemies from somewhere difficult to reach, let's say two smart mouthed goblins making fun of you on the other side of a deep ravine. A bit of Magneto flavour creeping in here. Plus til the end of the encounter you damage anyone who starts their turn next to you.Combine this with your Riposte, and it's really not much fun chasing you down.
Sorcerer utility 2: Deep Shroud: Surround your self and your entire party with darkness. Sustain it. Imagine the possibilities.
Sorcerer encounter 3: Lightning Cuts: A minor action lightning stab. So when you get into the middle of things, drop your Cloud of Darkness and wreak havoc, before you get out you can get in an extra stab before you leave.
Sorcerer daily 5: Thunder Leap: And now you get to be Hancock for a turn! Smash everyone around you as you proceed to 'jump' from 10 to 12 squares including straight up if you were to so choose, though you'd want to limit your jump to half the height so you didn't plummet to the ground and die, and smash everyone around you when you land as well and Push them away. If you turn it to Lightning then you can Slide them as well.
Sorcerer utility 6: Sorcerous Sirocco: Fly your speed +2 (+3 with Mark of Storm) as a standard action. Take an ally within 10 of you with you. This is a good way to pick the best spot on the battlefield to begin with, get out of dangerous terrain when the chips are down, or to rescue fallen allies. Useful out of combat as well.
Sorcerer encounter 7: Spark Form: A good way to get out of the middle and hurt everyone you as you go. Shift +2 passing through enemies spaces and attack each enemy you go through. Great way to reposition yourself. Loads of flavour here as well.
Sorcerer daily 9: Winds of Change: Burst 3 ally friendly burst attack with decent damage, and you can fly (hover til the end of your next turn. And Push enemies out of the way so you can do that without being hit with OAtks. Awesome!
Sorcerer utility 10: Maiden's Waking: Deny Dazed, Stunned and Death itself for a round every single encounter.
Sorcerer encounter 13: Thunder and Strike (replaces Spark Form): Melee attack that pushes someone out of your face, then Zap someone else within 10. Pretty neat. I'm unsure that I like it more than spark form though. the fact that you can potentially daze one of the targets if you Push them together. your Push distance is only 2 though, 3 after the slide from Mark of Storm. Probably enough, often enough to push it just over the top
Sorcerer daily 15: Lightning Daggers (replaces Shocking Magnetism): This power is madness. You'll want to take it before it gets hit with the errata bat. Which will probably soon, which means you probably never get to use this unless you start at high levels. Initially a nothing 2d4+cha attack. But the effect line makes it realawesome. Til the end of the encounter you can repeat the attack 1/round as a minor action. So you can use that on the same turn you cast it for a second attack, and then every turn there after.
Sorcerer utility 16: Dominant Winds: Now you can fly, and you can make all your allies fly, at will, as a move action. Nifty!

ITEMS
Shadowdance Drowmesh +3: Your ranged and area attacks don't provoke OAs, Thunderbolt Lancing dagger +4: Turn all your powers into lightning powers plus advantages of Lancing Dagger mentioned above., Raven Cloak +3: You'll be harder to kill wearing this plus resistance to cold and necrtic. dmg, Rhythm Blade Dagger +3: Held in off hand for +1 Ac and Ref shield bonus, Boots of the Fencing Master (heroic tier): Shift for a +1 AC and REF bonus, Shadowdancer's Gloves (paragon tier): When you hit an enemy you are hidden from +1d6 dmg. See Cloud of Darkness.

So basically loads of attacks, loads of ways into the middle and out, loads of attacks per round, loads of lightning, loads of damage, you can fly, move things around, move your friends around and you hurt people when they attack you in oh so many different ways. You can look like Storm from the Xmen ... or Hancock, if you prefer ( I prefer Storm). Is that the kind of thing you were looking for?

Remove ads