• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Who's Actually Read the DM's Guides

S'mon

Legend
I really was amazed by the poor quality of the introduction adventure within.

I seem to recall that the Adventures section mentions the linear, choice-free adventure as an example of poor design... :confused:

I think the DMG is an odd beast; there is a lot of good advice which I later discovered was copy/pasted from the 3e "Dungeonmastering for Dummies", there is some reasonable stuff in eg The World section on mood and feel. But there is also a lot of uncommonly poor advice, like the Tyranny of Fun stuff - the infamous Guards at the Gate quote being a prime example. Unlike the 1e DMG there is no single authorial voice running through, it can feel very incoherent. One place it says "Do X", another place it says "X is bad".

I thought the DMG2 was a lot more consistent.

S'mon

Legend
I really was amazed by the poor quality of the introduction adventure within.

I seem to recall that the Adventures section mentions the linear, choice-free adventure as an example of poor design... :confused:

I think the DMG is an odd beast; there is a lot of good advice which I later discovered was copy/pasted from the 3e "Dungeonmastering for Dummies", there is some reasonable stuff in eg The World section on mood and feel. But there is also a lot of uncommonly poor advice, like the Tyranny of Fun stuff - the infamous Guards at the Gate quote being a prime example. Unlike the 1e DMG there is no single authorial voice running through, it can feel very incoherent. One place it says "Do X", another place it says "X is bad".

I thought the DMG2 was a lot more consistent in tone.

Dice4Hire

First Post
I read the 1E/2E DMG many many times(The one with the huge Demon walking on it). Great book.

I have not totally read any DMGs since then.

I probably read 80% of the 3E one, 25% of 4eDMGI and 5% of 4EDMGII

I have no memories of

Dannyalcatraz

Schmoderator
Staff member
Supporter
Show me the videogame that feels like 4e... maybe it is worth a look.

For me, the healing surge mechanic feels like what I experience in arcade fighting games like Tekken, and in some computer combat games.

YMMV, but that is my subjective experience.

For my buddies- one of whom is a professional computer game programmer- other mechanics reminded them of other games.

Rechan

Adventurer
For me, the healing surge mechanic feels like what I experience in arcade fighting games like Tekken
I've never encountered a fighting game (Mortal Kombat, Street Fighter, Soul Caliber, etc) with heals. That would sort of defeat the purpose of the game.

Last edited:

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads