• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Who's pumped for Pacific Rim?

Umbran

Mod Squad
Staff member
Supporter
Me! Me! I'm pumped!

It is running at about 84% on the Tomatometer. For a monsters vs giant robots film, that's pretty darned good. I am hoping they get me to feel like I'm 12 years old....

sabrinathecat

Explorer
Uh, because it looks like a cut-rate evangelion, which may touch on sci-fi themes, but will likely have as much depth or substance as a WWF show?
Not to be just a nay-sayer or rain on a parade or just an obnoxious pessimist, but... yeah. Not impressed by the trailer. Not even as eye-candy. Think I'll sit back and watch Tremors 1-4 again.

Hand of Evil

Hero
Epic
yep, the more I see the previews, the more I am looking forward to this movie...giant robots, check! giant monsters, check! Mix martial art combat, check!

Nytmare

David Jose
My family starts our beach vacation this weekend. First thing we're going to do when we get there is go to the movie theater to watch us some Giant Robot vs Monster Fisticuffs (TM).

Janx

Hero
I hadn't heard good things about it. It looks like a live action giant mecha anime. I guess I will consider seeing it

Mallus

Legend
Uh, because it looks like a cut-rate evangelion, which may touch on sci-fi themes, but will likely have as much depth or substance as a WWF show?
Well, to be accurate, it looks like a Western-made kaiju/tokusatsu movie with enormously high production values made by an acclaimed director. Which shouldn't come as a surprise, since that's exactly what it is.

As for resembling Evangelion -- aside from the pilot-synchronization thing, which probably is meant as a direct Eva reference, it mostly doesn't. There's no evidence of rampant slapdash religious/occult iconography, no psychologically abused children, or conspicuously cross-shaped explosions (which is sorta a shame...).

As for substance, it's a giant monster movie! While it's true some of the genre *did* address more serious issues --the original Godzilla is kinda a weirdly haunting elegy for Hiroshima & Nagasaki, the Smog Monster was about the dangers of pollution-- mostly they don't.

As for resembling the WWF... yes, it does. Par for the course. I've always thought of kaiju movies as "the kind of professional wrestling I like". Do you really expect 200 ft tall monsters and the robots who fight them to sit around discussing their lives like in My Dinner With Andre? Although I would absolutely pay to see that movie in the theaters.

Kaiju films aren't for everyone, but if you grew up with them, you probably think Pacific Rim looks pretty good.

Not even as eye-candy.
Have you considered corrective lenses or perhaps LASIK? :)

Me? I totally psyched. Especially since it's such an outlandish project: a big-budget giant monster movie made by an Academy Award & Palm D'or nominated, BAFTA-winning director. The fact it got made is stranger than fiction...

Last edited:

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads