Who's your favorite character?

We have these kinds of discussions over and over here at ENWorld. "Who's your favorite character?" Today I'll talk about a couple of my favorites (which don't include my namesake) and invite you to talk about yours. But the deeper question is why are these our favorites and what can that tell us about why we roleplay?

We have these kinds of discussions over and over here at ENWorld. "Who's your favorite character?" Today I'll talk about a couple of my favorites (which don't include my namesake) and invite you to talk about yours. But the deeper question is why are these our favorites and what can that tell us about why we roleplay?

It’s one of those stereotypes that probably exists for good reason. Many, if not most, of us have been cornered at one time or another and heard about somebody else’s character in excruciating detail. Hint: If you’ve never felt this way, perhaps you’re the one doing the cornering.

It’s bad etiquette to do so of course, but we’re engaged in a hobby where, at its best, we breathe life into a fictional being. We imbue them with their own set of beliefs, values, goals, family, friends, and capabilities. We portray them as they face trials beyond our own experience and forge ahead against seemingly impossible odds. So yeah, it’s fun to talk about.

Recently I was thinking about what made some characters favorites over the rest. What does it say about that these are my favorite characters? I figured I’d set etiquette aside and tell you a bit about a few characters who hold a special place in my heart and give you a chance to talk about your own.

Right out of the gate I’ll tell you about a character who was not a favorite: Rel. An embarrassingly long time ago I made a Rolemaster warrior-type character. I tossed out to the GM the idea that when people in his culture did great deeds, more syllables were added to their name. I also decided my character’s name was Relinsingersonlyer, even though he hadn’t really done anything noteworthy in the actual game. The hubris of being 14 I guess.

However, years later, I was trying to log into an internet chat room. I needed a username so I tried my name. Scott was taken. So was ScottM. AScottM (using both first and last initials since I go by my middle name) was also taken! So, frustration rising to a crescendo, I said, “I bet I know what isn’t taken...Relinsingersonlyer!” Ain’t nobody got time to type Relinsingersonlyer in a chat room; they just called me Rel. It’s been my online handle ever since. I’m named after a pretty mediocre Rolemaster character.

Urkaman Dundar, in contrast, actually did some pretty great deeds. He was a half-dwarf, so basically a broad, short human. This was also Rolemaster, and he was a Leader who really lived up to the concept. He was fearsome in battle and led from the front. But he was equally skilled in spotting strategic and tactical advantages and conducting diplomacy. He talked us out of a few fights we didn’t need to be in and led the way to victory in a lot of fights we really needed to win on an epic quest to save the world. He was a hero I really looked forward to playing each week.

Urkaman was, in many ways, a best-case version of myself (only shorter). He was smart and decisive without being irresponsible. He knew how to talk to people and build consensus. He brought out the best in others and led the group without making them feel ordered around. I frequently think fondly on playing that character because he was the embodiment of many of my best ideals.

And then there’s Dr. Dark. A few years ago a friend of mine wanted to run a Mutants & Masterminds game set in our home state. My character concept was that of a supervillain turned hero who held mastery over darkness. Brooding and sinister, he had the power to mold shadow to his own ends, and the ability to separate his shadow and have it operate autonomously. His keen insights for villainous plans would serve to give him a glimpse into the minds of the foes our group battled to keep the North Carolina heartland safe.

In practice he was mostly just an :):):):):):):). It was hilarious and fun. Dr. Dark was a way to behave badly in ways I’d never act personally. He was rude, angry, vindictive, and petty. He was a fearsome force on the battlefield (mostly due to the Mutants & Masterminds mastery of ENWorld’s The Universe who helped me design the character mechanics) and made sound tactical choices to aid the team. Off the battlefield...well let’s just say it became not only team policy but an executive order from the governor that “Dr. Dark may not speak directly to the news media. Ever.” He was also required to attend psychological counseling, but he made his shadow sit in for those and never attended.

I’m sure I could go on about other characters I loved between these extremes, but I don’t want to be “that guy” I talked about in the opening paragraph. These characters represent to me the extremes between some common motivations for roleplaying. The fantasy of being a powerful, heroic figure who upholds high ideals, and the villainous jerk who cathartically mouths off and destroys his enemies. They brought me many fun times and I salute them each for their own reasons.

Who are your favorite characters and what do you think they say about you?

delericho

Legend
I run many many more games than I play, and I've had the misfortune that most of the games I do play tend to fizzle out fairly quickly. This somewhat limits my scope to have "favourite characters"; when running the game, I'd generally hope that my NPCs play second fiddle to the PCs; when playing the character generally needs time to grow on me, and denied that time they don't get the chance.

That said...

Delericho was a long-standing villain in the longest campaign I've ever run - it was a "Vampire: the Masquerade" campaign called "Rivers of Time", which lasted 5 years of real-time and covered 2,300 years of game time (150 BC to 2,150 AD, when the world ended). Delericho was the sire of one of the PCs, a 6th Gen Tzimisce warlock, very much in the mould of Dracula. His 'quirk' was that he maintained a carefully cultivated garden; but whereas most such vampires would select night-blooming flowers so they could enjoy them, he deliberately did the opposite; he took some pride in creating something of beauty while also denying that same beauty to himself. Delericho was first encountered in 1st century Jerusalem when the PCs, like everyone else, was drawn there for a... significant event. (As Spike, of "Buffy" fame, said, it was like Woodstock.)

For the next two years of the campaign, Delericho and the PCs proceeded to have a mixed relationship - he was frequently the villain, but he was also a powerful ally in times when they had no others. Eventually, lines were crossed, people were betrayed, and Delericho had to die. Eventually, he suffered diablerie at the hands of his own grandsire, which spawned a whole other set of adventures...

So that's Delericho.

Probably the other 'favourite' villain from one of my campaigns was a dwarven Fighter named Mierkul, who featured in my recently-concluded campaign, "The Eberron Code". Initially, he was just a mercenary, hired by one of the villains as additional muscle. However, he had the good fortune of crossing swords with the PCs on two occasions and somehow managing to escape alive both times. (Indeed, on one of those occasions the PCs lost!)

At this point, the party Ranger decided Mierkul was his sworn enemy. Indeed, when he levelled up he selected Humanoid(Dwarf) as his next favoured enemy. And so, that being the case, I just had to expand Mierkul's role in the campaign - he became the minion of one of the Big Bads, and actually served as the end-of-volume boss when I had to put the campaign on hiatus for a few months (I was getting married at the time).

(I learned a lesson there: have plenty of 'potential' bad guys, but don't declare any one to be the BBEG until he's survived for a while. It's like the old-school notion of not naming a PC until 3rd level, because until then you don't know if he's going to meet a swift and nasty end.)

--

I think my favourite ever PC was a character I played in a one-shot session of "Tales of the Floating Vagabond". The GM started by saying our PCs could be anything whatsoever, and so was born Captain Tyche, leader of the Jelly Baby Commandoes in their sworn war against the Chocolate Button Empire. Tyche was basically Arnold Schwarzenegger's character in "Predator", except for being a Jelly Baby.

Yeah, that was fun. Odd. But fun.

--

And those, I think, are my favourite characters. Mostly, though, I collect favourite games - those campaigns and one-shots I'm most proud of - my "big four" campaigns being the unnamed sub-Tolkien epic I ran in high school, the aforementioned "Rivers of Time" game, "The Shackled City" adventure path, and most recently "The Eberron Code"; and my favourite one-shots being "Ultra-violet: Code-500" (nWoD, based on the old "Ultraviolet" TV show on Channel 4 over here), "Star Wars: Through a Glass Darkly" (SWSE, set in a prequel-era Mirror Universe), and "Star Wars: Imperial Fist" (SWSE again, set in the Dark Times).

In each case, the games in question have something about them that makes them stand out from the rest - whether because they've taught me something, because they've allowed me to achieve something I've not managed before, or simply because they went exceptionally well.

But the big lesson from all of them seems to be this: it's much less important what game you play, or the details of house rules, supplements, or whatever else, than who you play with - something like 90% of the fun to be had from RPGs seems to be a question of the people around the table.

Rel

Liquid Awesome
I'm with you there, Delericho, about running more games (and longer ones) than I play. Especially in recent years. I have some favorite villains that I've portrayed as the GM and I'll contemplate what I think those say about me as well.

Today I'm driving to the NC mountains to go tubing with my family so that will make for a fun discussion on the drive with my wife. Meanwhile keep posting these favorite character concepts! These are GOLD thus far!

Nellisir

Hero
My favorite character was Asilud Sunnilda Gelud-Diedelindadottur, a 2e svirfneblin cleric/illusionist. I'll be honest - I enjoy flexible, powerful characters that give me an excuse to be a little crazy, and she fit the bill. She spoke in a bad Swiss-German accent I heard in a Christmastime ad for chocolate, and abused her illusions with glee. The party didn't have a thief, so wraithform, knock, and dimension door were go-to spells.

The runner-up is Toad, my abjurer master of the seven veils. I actually went came to EN World and got advice on building an over-the-top wizard character, and Toad was the result. Old, ugly, weak, and absolutely useless in melee - but devastating with spells and prismatic effects. There were hints in his background of something strange and possibly tragic - he was on excellent terms with the faerie court of stars, and had a coure eladrin named Molly as a familiar/henchfey. It was speculated that he'd done something big for the Court, something that had cost him years of life and a large degree of power, but that was never detailed or explored in the game.

Dannyalcatraz

Schmoderator
Staff member
Supporter
Re: Dr. Zeuss

What a great blend: a hyper-intelligent orangutan super-gadgeteer who creates "Tesla weapons" (like mechanical resonance mines and lightning projectors) with elements of Monsieur Mallah, Gorilla Grodd, Mojo Jojo, Dr. Zaius (of course) with an Island of Dr. Moreau-type origin story...

Whodathunk a mad-science creation would have had such a fan club?

And speaking of fan clubs...Joseirus is still one of my favorite PC concepts seen on these boards.

Last edited by a moderator:

Ahnehnois

First Post
I'm going to say Elim Garak.

For all the non-DS9 fans (shame on you), this character is a deposed covert agent and renaissance man living in exile as a tailor who never tells the whole truth, yet always conveys it in style.

TarionzCousin

Second Most Angelic Devil Ever
One notable PC in a game I ran was a female friend's male Urban druid Murik. He was the caretaker of the biosphere of the city (which is a polite way of saying he lived in the sewers and never bathed).

We rolled for stats and Murik had a Charisma of 7. But she played him as if it were 27. Murik thought he was the sole of wit, charm, and diplomacy. Whenever another PC would attempt something charismatic, Murik would interrupt and say "Let my handle this," and fail miserably.

It made for great roleplaying, as the other players would alternate between letting Murik speak (for entertainment purposes) and trying to stop him (in order to actually succeed.)

I don't know what this says about me.
scratch.gif

Evilhalfling

Adventurer
When I make a character I strive to make characters who are predictable, and who change over time, they tend to go with one personality Shtick and apply it at every opportunity. In literary terms they are flat, but dynamic characters.

B.B. Halls was a 1st level ranger with adventuring parents. He thought he could explore the dark jungle continent, as long as he found some brave companions to help him. B.B. = Big Brass (balls)
He started off with one tactic, charge stuff and then fail wildly with both sword and shield. I planed that he would either get very badly hurt or killed, and eventually learn other tactics and caution. He was still experimenting with a second tactic: Not charging - which included the 3 high str/dex people in the party breaking out bows and turning enemies into pin cushions. Then He hit 2 skeletons, standing just out of spell range with bows. He went back to the charge! it was a fatal error.
Out of combat he was over confidant and foolish, (int 8, wis 12) making bad assumptions and sticking to his guns. At various points he believed that and entire village of Cannibals were actually Weresharks, that a vampire was leaving us blood-drained animals for breakfast and that he had enough woodworking to build a sea-worthy raft.

My second fav was for a 1-shot Cthulu game. She was a teacher or something, who started out unarmed, but eventually carried a small pistol. She was having a very English courtly romance with another PC the valet of the parties rich Dilettant.
At the end of the game we had accidentally completed the cultists ritual and were going to be smashed by some Dark thing. We exchanged one last meaningful glance, and he stayed by his master's side, instead of coming to mine. Then we all died.

Last edited by a moderator:

Related Articles

Remove ads

Remove ads